Armando Salguero: Bryant McKinnie should be an option for Dolphin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero: Bryant McKinnie should be an option for Dolphin

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ckinnie-should-be-an-option-for-dolphins.html

"... The backup left tackle was Nate Garner.Now, Garner is a solid player. He is a jack-of-all-trades type. He has played well when he's been given chances at either guard position and the right tackle spot. He even spotted in and played well at center earlier in his career and last year.
But he's not a left tackle. Indeed, left tackle is the only offensive line position he has been a disaster playing.
Perhaps general manager Dennis Hickey doesn't know this because he wasn't here. Perhaps coach Joe Philbin doesn't know this because he wasn't here (although he should have seen the tape in 2012).
But the last time Garner played left tackle was for a couple of quarters in 2011 against Philadelphia. He came into the game because Jake Long went out with a knee injury. And then the flood gates opened.
The Dolphins gave up nine sacks that day against the Eagles. Garner gave up three of them. Amazingly, he also yielded seven quarterback hurries that game.
Seven.
That was the only time in memory that Garner played left tackle in a game. And it was his worst game as a professional.
The Dolphins as a result turned to John Jerry as their left tackle the final two games that year when Long was eventually ruled done for the year.
This is not a knock on Garner. He's a valuable backup. He's got good position flexibility.
But left tackle is not one of the positions he's flexible in. It just isn't.
Yet, he's the backup left tackle now.
Big mistake.

What's worse, this mistake will not show itself 1. unless Hickey or Philbin read this post and go back to that 2011 tape of the Philly game or 2. until the Dolphins actually start hitting either in practice or the preseason, which is two months away.
And by then the best chance to address the issue might have passed."

Thoughts?

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-be-an-option-for-dolphins.html#storylink=cpy

We went into this often season needing both starters and quality depth. We're not going to get it all done in one season. I wouldn't mind signing McKinnie if he'd take backup money but I doubt he's willing to do that just yet. A starting LT position might open up on any team via an injury and he'd be at or near the top of anyone's list to fill that void. If I'm him, I'm holding out for a starting spot somewhere at starters' pay. He'll be able to sign on as a backup in plenty of places should that not happen.

McKinnie would be very decent insurance. Cap friendly deal. If James struggles(I sure hope not) he could be plugged in at RT. It does look like Dallas Thomas is with the first string so that leaves Turner for depth if it turns out that way.

McKinnie should retire. He's a turnstile now.

McKinney was not a good LT last year. I dont even want him as a backup.

Garner isn't really no ur 2nd string LT. He is our emergency LT and he should get reps there at this point in the offseason.

If Albert goes down we would likely shift James over to LT and plug Garner into RT. James has great length and would be the least problematic as our 2nd string LT. While he lacks the power and agility to be great, and his technique is hit and miss, he clearly is the next best option we have.

But if both Albert and James are hurt ... someone needs to play LT, so why not train Garner? He already has th necessary training for the other spots and he clearly needs to improve how he plays LT so get the experience now.

We have a new OL Coach and it seems he wants to build a new OL. So, unless we bring in a vet late, who I don't think will be McKinnie, we need to train Garner at LT. Turner is too raw and is learning to be an OG. Garner is the next logical choice, and yes he is a poor fit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

With Albert's injury history -- he's only started all 16 games once in his career and has missed seven games the last two years -- it's important to have a plan in mind, and I'd personally rather turn to McKinnie than asking James to switch sides or Turner to slide out should something happen.

Yup backup lt is very much a concern even without alberts record of missing games

Not a big mckenzie fan at all but we have nothing behind albert

I was always open to the idea of bringing back Clabo and Mckinney as back ups. Now that we have Fox, i doubt we bring back Clabo, but McKinney should be considered, especially if Gardner is still going to be a floater, and not be assigned to one position.

How many O linemen were active for games last year 7 or 8 ? Not enough to have a solid back up at every O line position so any back ups will probably need to know several positions. I would expect they mess with all the combinations between now and the end of training camp so I would not jump to any conclusions as to who's playing where just yet.

What's worse, this mistake will not show itself
1. unless Hickey or Philbin read this post and go back to that 2011 tape of the Philly game or
2. until the Dolphins actually start hitting either in practice or the preseason, which is two months away.
And by then the best chance to address the issue might have passed."

Geez Mondo you are so brilliant. I am no sure why the Phins have not hired you as a consultant yet.

LOL. What a clown.

why wouldn't someone like McKinnie? If you ask me, he played well. Not pro bowl well, but Starter well

why wouldn't someone like McKinnie? If you ask me, he played well. Not pro bowl well, but Starter well

He was terrible last season

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2013/under-pressure-mckinnies-woes

18902123_Pressure1312271-1.gif

18902124_Pressure1312272-1.gif

18902125_Pressure1312273-1.gif

18902126_Pressure1312274-1.gif

Back
Top Bottom