Armando Salguero: Bryant McKinnie should be an option for Dolphin | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero: Bryant McKinnie should be an option for Dolphin

yea mando what we need is a crappy backup left tackle that cant play right tackle at a premium price.

I would like to think that despite a poor performance 2 years ago, that Garner may have improved his technique, and learned the game enough to better at that position. I would also like to believe that Philbin has directly observed him in practices and perhaps seen this growth?

Yo Armando - McKinnie is an option for the Dolphins AND every other team. He's a free agent, do you know how that works? Anyone who wants him can sign him.

What? No one has signed him? I wonder why?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you think about this from McKinnie's perspective, why would he commit to us now knowing full well he'll only be a back-up when there might be a chance for a starting spot on another team later on?

Or just maybe - Garner was playing LT to assist with the dread heads at LG to help them along in practice.

I'm suspecting that they bring Turner along slowly with the potential of being the back up LT

if there was a great backup LT option out there he would have been signed already. is there a great backup QB or 3rd CB out there too?

not to defend Garner but this is a little anecdotal. any team that loses their LT make adjustments after the fact, which is limiting but that is one of the reasons that LT is a premium position

Another thing to keep in mind is that if McKinnie is on the roster week one his salary is fully guaranteed for the whole year. Even if the Dolphins consider him a piece they'd like to have in the event Albert gets hurt, it makes sense to wait until after after the Patriots game so they're only on the hook for as long as they want/need to keep him.

I'm really surprised that most of you guys keep talking about how much McKinnie sucks and are giving Garner a pass. I agree that McKinnie is not a great player; however, Garner is not a good LT himself...in fact, the guy is not cut out for LT at all...he's an interior OL...PERIOD. My hope is that Turner can play backup LT like Pat-London mentioned. I'm guessing most of you guys never watched that Eagles game a couple years ago.

Mckinnie did a solid job last season. He isnt a probowler, but a solid backup LT and a veteran in the locker room.

Mckinnie did a solid job last season. He isnt a probowler, but a solid backup LT and a veteran in the locker room.

Mckinie was not solid last season he was bad. He had like maybe a decent game or two but he was not a solid player and is a waste of money

Our O line was in shambles when McKinney came here and with 2 practices stepped in to fill the void. i remember Garner was telling him the plays at the line of scrimmage. He was ok not great until the last two games when the offense as a whole did not show up.

I think Senor Walrus is right. If he's still available after the first game and there is a need he would be a decent option as backup.
Hopefully every one stays healthy and the youngsters step up and that wont be necessary.

were all these McKinney advocates watching the same Dolphins the rest of us were last year? he was garbage. we gave up an enormous amount of sacks and had a terrible running game. he was terrible by the eye test, and even PFF rated him as one of the very worst LT in the league after last season. all of the awfulness of last season, PLUS, he is on the tail end of his career. i'd rather entrust the backup duties to a hungry rookie who is addicted to pain (Turner) than a broke down vet who's addicted to lap dances (McKinnie).

If anything happened to Albert, Juwan James would likely switch to LT and Garner would play RT. He has better quickness and mobility.
I do not see garner playing LT in any scenario.
I think the staff will wait for he cuts for a back up that has longer term potential and McKinnie would be a last case scenario because he truly is a short term band aid.

were all these McKinney advocates watching the same Dolphins the rest of us were last year? he was garbage. we gave up an enormous amount of sacks and had a terrible running game. he was terrible by the eye test, and even PFF rated him as one of the very worst LT in the league after last season. all of the awfulness of last season, PLUS, he is on the tail end of his career. i'd rather entrust the backup duties to a hungry rookie who is addicted to pain (Turner) than a broke down vet who's addicted to lap dances (McKinnie).

Our line as a whole played much better when we added him in replacement to Jonathan Martin. Yes our line was still pretty bad, but it was at least close to average once he came along.

I think he did ok as a starter. But what he provided was leadership and vet experience. I think he would be a good teacher/mentor for our two young linemen. He is a good locker room guy and would make a great backup player.

Not a starter, but as a backup player he could bring a lot to the table IMO.

Back
Top Bottom