Armando Salguero:Dolphins signing Glenn would make no sense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero:Dolphins signing Glenn would make no sense

I tend to agree with Mando on this one. What do you guys think Glenn is going to teach our young WR that our OC, WR coach, head coach, Parcells, etc. cant'? I mean, why do we even have them then? I'll acquiesce the point that he might bring a few helpful tools to the team that he can teach our WR, but I don't think using up a STARTING WR spot is worth that. You don't think he'd come here to ride the bench do you? He might make us marginally better this year, but it won't make a big difference. And even if it did, so what? He won't be around in 1-3 years when it counts. I'd rather throw our WR into the fire, see what they can do, and get them the most game experience possible.

It isnt just to help our young WR's. We have a couple of young inexperienced QB's to think about. Don't you think they could use a solid vet? We have to help everyone progress. I love how everyone is so worried about your 5th WR spot. lol....Let's get Glenn to help our high draft picks from a couple of years ago, not worry about what might happen with a guy that most likely wouldn't make the team anyway.

I don't get why people get so mad at this guy. It is nothing more than HIS OPINION. Just like most of us express ours here. I doubt many of you have coached Football, or even played it.

No need to give the guy so much hate, the article isn't complete crap, he does point out some facts.

Take a chill pill, bros! :hi5:

Who let the village idiot escape and write articles for the newspaper! Own up to it....who's got the key!? If nobody comes forward the whole group will be held accountable ;)

I'm not worried about the 5th WR spot. I'm worried about the 2nd or 3rd WR spot (or 1st?) that Glenn would Occupy. For a position that takes so much time for players to become acclimated to the NFL, we need our WR getting as much play time as possible. I get what you're saying about having an established receiver to help with the confidence of our QB's, that's fine, but get a player who doesn't have as much mileage as Glenn does. Nothing would be worse than for Glenn to play WR for the first 4 games, then require season-ending surgery. Now not only have you throw the offensive chemistry into upheaval, you've wasted 4 games of experience that could have been used by one of our other WR. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if Glenn helps our team more than I think he will, but I doubt I'll have to make that admission.

As for the hate that Mando gets, I think he takes a pretty realistic view of the situation most of the time, which can be construed as being negative, but it's better than a lot of the nonsense Greg Cote writes (not that I mind his nonsense because it's what I expect from him). I think one person started hating on Mando in the past, and it just became the bandwagon thing that all the cool kids do.

I'm not worried about the 5th WR spot. I'm worried about the 2nd or 3rd WR spot (or 1st?) that Glenn would Occupy. For a position that takes so much time for players to become acclimated to the NFL, we need our WR getting as much play time as possible. I get what you're saying about having an established receiver to help with the confidence of our QB's, that's fine, but get a player who doesn't have as much mileage as Glenn does. Nothing would be worse than for Glenn to play WR for the first 4 games, then require season-ending surgery. Now not only have you throw the offensive chemistry into upheaval, you've wasted 4 games of experience that could have been used by one of our other WR. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if Glenn helps our team more than I think he will, but I doubt I'll have to make that admission.

It's very likely one of the bottom receivers will make it to our PS. Glenn is going to take a spot away from a guy who is marginal at best? Ginn/Wilford/Hagan/Glenn/Bess sounds pretty good to me.

The 2nd and 3rd WR spot will still be on the field, so that shouldn't be a concern. And if Glenn doesn't last the season, don't you get what you want? More playing time for the young guys? The chemistry will not go into upheaval if someone gets injured, if thats the case we have more problems than that. One guy shouldn't effect the team like that, esp someone thats not even officially on the team yet.

As for getting a more established WR, have anyone in mind? bc I dont see anyone out there that will be on his level that will come without picks involved.

What everyone is forgeting he is a dolphin hater for a reason. He personally probably doesn't give a crap one way or the other. He is a sports-writer. It is his job to get people to read his coulmn. Armando can't get readers from insiteful, toughtful, unbiased, analysis. He is a no talent hack. He gets readers by stiring up anger of dolphin fans. It's his shtick.

I HATE Armando, he is such a hypocritical negative ***. What’s funny is that he advocated the Phins go out and sign a player like Glenn a few days before writing this article.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2008/07/no-boldin-or-gl.html

"We're up and running at training camp and the Dolphins have just announced ... breathless, I am ... the signing of Anthony Armstrong to help their receivers corps.
That's apparently how it's going to be around here.
Never mind that Terry Glenn is available. Never mind that Anquan Boldin wants a quick ticket out of Arizona and would love to play in Miami. The Dolphins got Anthony Armstrong who spent the past two years with the Dallas Desperados of the Arena Football League."

It's very likely one of the bottom receivers will make it to our PS. Glenn is going to take a spot away from a guy who is marginal at best? Ginn/Wilford/Hagan/Glenn/Bess sounds pretty good to me.

No, Glenn is going to take the spot of Ginn, Wilford, Hagan, or Bess. One or more of those guys will get bumped down a spot because of him, which if you read my previous posts, means that their progress will be hindered to bring in a guy who won't even be here very long.

The 2nd and 3rd WR spot will still be on the field, so that shouldn't be a concern. And if Glenn doesn't last the season, don't you get what you want? More playing time for the young guys? The chemistry will not go into upheaval if someone gets injured, if thats the case we have more problems than that. One guy shouldn't effect the team like that, esp someone thats not even officially on the team yet.

As for getting a more established WR, have anyone in mind? bc I dont see anyone out there that will be on his level that will come without picks involved.

Wait, Glenn is going to take a starting roster WR spot, but somehow, magically, all our developmental WR will still get on the field the same amount? That's fantastic logic! Maybe Glenn going down in week 4 wouldn't affect our chemistry, maybe it will. Personally, I'd rather not take that chance, since it's quite clear our QB's need every little bit of help they can get.

I completely agree with what Salguero is saying in this article. Is Glenn going to help this team win games in 2009 and 2010, when it matters? Absolutely not. And in 2008, he would just be taking a WR roster spot for someone younger who might be able to be a producer in 2009 and later.

It also says something about the young WRs assembled by the front office that nobody is emerging, triggering the need to talk to Glenn. Granted it's still awfully early in training camp but not a good sign.

A player like Glenn can something to the table called saavy. He also brings veteran leadership. Veteran players can relate to young players on a different level than coaches. So there are things they can teach young players the coaches can't. Glenn has been in the NFL long enough to know the tendancies of most of the DBs in the NFL. He knows them better than the coaches. If Glenn makes the team better, you sign him. He's only going to take the place of a player who was likely not to stick around anyway.

Back
Top Bottom