Armando Salguero writing what a lot of us have been saying | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero writing what a lot of us have been saying

Tua is not a savior. Tua doesn’t play defense and the defense probably is the worst I have seen in years.
You can't expect the defense to hold up when the rest of the team isn't holding up their end. You get a stop and offense ad special team promptly turns the ball over. After a while the defense just breaks. They aren't playing well but good enough to win if only the offense would score or get first downs

This is true. Fins went 6-10 in 1988 due to the horrific defense and lack of running game.
That is why I don’t understand how trading aware all their high draft picks and taking on a $40 million salary is going to improve this team. Some people actually think trading for Watson is going to be what this team needs to be a playoff team.

Why they refuse to see that QB is not the main issue with this team is unbelievable to me. I know Tua needs to continue to improve but every player on this team needs to improve their overall play. With Watson maybe they win one extra game this season. So instead of 5 wins, they end up with 6. If that’s worth $40 million dollars and the loss of 5 or 6 draft picks, I’m not sure how it is.

The defense is light years ahead of the offense, but when opposing teams are able to convert third-and-8 or third-and-9 as consistently as they have against us this year, it's a huge concern.

We really don't pressure the passer like other good teams. Even today against a banged up Colts OL and a gimpy Wentz, he had way too much time to find receivers more often than not.

I don't have anything to prove this, but I was wondering after the game that the thing that flipped the switch on Flores was benching Fitzpatrick last year. There were more reasons not to play Tua than to play him. It looked OK for a couple of weeks and then instead of Tua getting more comfortable it was more like other teams figured him out and took away the couple of things he did well. Then Flores kept bringing Fitz back in relief.

That doesn't instill confidence in a coach. It also doesn't do much for loyalty when you bench a popular vet who was playing well at the time.

I think the same thing about basically taking Gaskin from being the starter to almost no action at all when Malcolm Brown is new on the team and clearly isn't lighting the world on fire.

I just don't see a lot of energy on this team. The offensive line is in complete disarray. The offensive coordination has way too many chefs in the kitchen when none of them would be trusted making a PBJ sandwich. Flores seems to have lost his way from the tough, no-nonsense guy that took a roster that probably wasn't better than 1 win his first year to 5. He got off course somewhere, and the Tua sidequest might be where.

And I know people are going to say about Gaskin that he wasn't good in pass pro versus Buffalo, but Jesse Davis and Austin Jackson were atrocious and they kept their jobs and it's their main job. Davis got our QB killed and all they did was move him inside. Brown wasn't great in pass pro today and he doesn't give you the ability to spread the field like Gaskin does, which, BTW, also augments what this offense should be able to do with DVP, Gesicki, Waddle, Wilson and the Incredible Always-Injured Will Fuller.

Kindley was this revelation last year. This year he can't get on the field with this line. But Jesse Davis lives to whif again.

It’s really difficult to comprehend Austin Jackson, Kindley, and Hunt all playing better as rookies than they are playing (or not playing) in year 2.

Gaskin also showed he could make plays last season. Now he’s being phased out for a thoroughly mediocre Malcolm Brown.

Then you have inactives like Igbonogene and Hunter Long.

Is there any competent coaching on this staff?

That is why I don’t understand how trading aware all their high draft picks and taking on a $40 million salary is going to improve this team. Some people actually think trading for Watson is going to be what this team needs to be a playoff team.

Why they refuse to see that QB is not the main issue with this team is unbelievable to me. I know Tua needs to continue to improve but every player on this team needs to improve their overall play. With Watson maybe they win one extra game this season. So instead of 5 wins, they end up with 6. If that’s worth $40 million dollars and the loss of 5 or 6 draft picks, I’m not sure how it is.
Bro I respect any and all opinions and obviously we’re all here bc we can speak what’s on our mind but you are driving this point about Watson into the ground. I get it... you don’t want him for your own reasons and that’s cool but saying the same thing over an over again isn’t going to change anybody’s mind.

Those who want him are still going to want him and those who don’t still won’t. No disrespect intended.

Marino during his best years would have trouble winning more than 7-8 games with this coaching staff and the overall lack of talent throughout the roster.
I wasn't paying much attention during a lot of the Marino years due to my age but it seems like he had more 8 win type seasons than one would have expected given his talent and his head coaches.

Ormando is the poster boy for Captain Obvious. When there is some questionable/arguable theory he is Mr. Positive, when something goes wrong he just points it out.

Yeah he deserves 0 credit for this astute assessment. This is the same thing that all of us can see with our own eyes.

It’s just amazing to me how a lot of us can see the problems and at least try to come up with a solution of things to try but guys with million dollar contracts and degrees out the a** won’t try any of these solutions.

I sometimes agree with Armando, and sometimes disagree with him ... but I do not like his largely negative approach. Unfortunately .... this time I agree with him. The coaching staff--particularly Coach Flo--looks amateurish. Being talented is not the same thing as recognizing talent. He had a solid OL coach last year ... and inexcusably fired him. Now we're back to the bad coaches who can not even get the performance level of our talent. And let's be clear ... our OL talent is not great.

We drafted an injury prone QB who was injured when we drafted him. Year two he barely lasted more than 1 game before getting injured again. We had a very good backup QB who we benched when he was performing well, and basically didn't even try to re-sign. We replaced him with a guy who was not a threat to Tua and who does not fit into the offense our new 2-OC offense designed around Tua. Not a recipe for success. As far as coaching goes .... this is a massive cascading of bad decisions and poor planning. That's on the coaches .... not the players. When one player is bad, it's the player. When 15 players are bad, that's on the coaches.

I'm sure some people are thinking to themselves ........ we tanked for THIS?!?!?!!?!?

Maybe in his absolute best years, but even Marino couldn’t get over the 8-8 hump with the dreck teams Shula put together from 1986-1989.
Well not entirely true but your point is 100% valid. In the ‘87 strike season that went 15 games, 3 with replacement players, Dan took the team to 7-5. The scabs went 1-2. We finished 8-7 - my guess is we go 9-6 w Dan and perhaps get a playoff bid. Again, your point holds anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom