Armando -The Miami Dolphins spent all season dealing with a surprise problem no one could solve

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by uk_dolfan, Jan 12, 2018.

1. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Interesting article:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article194358364.html

Basically without Tannehill and Brandon Albert the Dolphins had zero leadership among the players this year. Cutler is.... Cutler, Pouncey didn't seem interested outside the OL and this was what they brought Timmons in for but he went awol.

2. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

he went awol one game. Im not sure how much leadership could help a team lacking in talent and coaching. Tannehill, the savior he is, was still on the team. I never saw him once rally the troops on the sideline He is the biggest waste of time

3. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Yay another shot at Tannehill. How much sideline watching did you actually do?

psfign, tay0365, RVAPhinFan13 and 8 others like this.
  4. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

I dodn't see much input from him. Just saw him chewing gum on the sideline

5. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

I guess Supreme Leader Juice isn't really living up to the "heart and soul of the team" title many have coined him as.

6. uk_dolfan

I have never seen as much of an ounce of leadership from Landry. A lot of shouting I suppose, but that isnt what leadership is about.

A leader doesn't get thrown out of a game like that either. I don't doubt that he is a core part of the lockerroom culture and that his absence would leave a void, but if he gets paid and stays here he needs to learn to control himself and become a leader.

dolpns13, 72 silky, djphinfan and 3 others like this.
  7. uk_dolfan

Leadership has long been an issue on D. Its a shame that Wake and Jones are lead by example guys, but if that is your personality then I suppose you can't really fake it week after week

8. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

The last time our defense had a real leader was Trace Armstrong. JT and Zach were pretty good leaders too but TA was the leader of that defense and of the whole team.
    Before him and when Marino was on the team the real leader of that team was Kuechenburg. I'm sure it helped he was in the super bowl teams of 72-73 and then 82-84
    The vocal leader we might be looking at now could be TJM if he can stay out of jail and RM? Maybe if he can stay healthy but he'll be in the middle of that defense so

Ozzy rules!!

Dolfandenny, Ray R and lurking like this.
  9. uk_dolfan

Dansby was probably an effective leader, at least within the lockeroom. He was also a better linebacker than anyone we have had since..... the decision to cut him was erm regrettable, he should still have been here for a lot longer

10. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but where the **** was Cam Wake? He's supposed to be a leader. Where the **** was he?

11. uk_dolfan

Wake has always been famously quiet and reluctant to step up to that role. Maybe less so last year (give him a break he is like 60 and coming off a major injury) but Wake is one guy who has always done more than his fair share for this team

Ray R and TheJetsBlow like this.
  12. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

One more reason I wanted to keep B.A. on the team.

When I discovered that he had actually been receptive to the idea of moving to Left Guard so that Tunsil could take over the LT spot for the future, and that Miami still didn't want him back, that annoyed me.

Very lousy move in hindsight, IMO.

13. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

I love Cam- it's just disappointing that he's seemingly so quiet. He's a guy who certainly has the currency to speak his mind, and he's obviously highly respected. No one works harder. He'd be a natural leader if he wanted to embrace that role.

14. Liphinphan

Liphinphan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I never heard that he was receptive to moving to guard, where did you get that? Seems like it would have been a smart move. Although with his injury history, moving inside could have made things worse.

Ray R and gunn34 like this.
  15. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Derek Jeter sits when he pees Finheaven VIP Donator

That is news to me i must have missed those reports, completely changes what I think of BA. I thought he was too stubborn to switch over to guard when it was clear tunsil was the longterm plan at LT

Ray R likes this.
  16. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

You'd have to go dig it up, but it was ABSOLUTELY posted around the time B.A. retired and Jacksonville released him. Might have been an article by Armando or Barry Jackson? I remember being surprised as well. I assumed that he simply wanted to remain at left tackle.

Ray R likes this.
  17. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

LOLOL Ironic

psfign, EricCartman, Bob512 and 5 others like this.
  18. Vaark

and if it were Slow Joe's era, had any leaders voluntarily stepped up, he'd have traded their asses out of town!

19. Liphinphan

Liphinphan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Thank you. Always seemed like a no brainer move. Funny how important leadership is, even in a professional setting with $$$ and livelihoods on the line.

20. uk_dolfan

Very much so. I was keen to move on from Albert at LT (and this year showed why I was disappointed not to bed Tunsil in at that role a year ago) but Albert would have been a huge upgrade over someone like Larsen at LG. Was very disappointed to hear that he was willing to make the switch but the team moved on anyway.

21. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

That's why I'm all in on drafting a kid like Baker Maysfield.

RVAPhinFan13 and Vaark like this.
  22. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

No Offense meant, for repeating the obvious but teams even with losing records don't quit on the coach during the season.

Losing Dansby hurt way more than just tackles, Same with B.A. and I hate to say it Same with Rotten Richie. Each of those guys held themselves and their position groups accountable and bled over onto the entire team.

Hopefully during this offseason the F.O. will look for Vets who can still play and can still lead their position group and the team.

23. Irishfinfan1

Irishfinfan1 Well-Known Member

On O with Tannehill out I would guess Landry and Pouncey should be the ones to step up, while on D Suh, Wake, Timmons and Jones would be the names that spring to mind. Not knowing any of them personally I haven't got the impression from any of them that they are real leaders, I guess this is one of the reasons for drafting team captains year in year out if you can.

24. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

I dunno man. Albert looked super done in Jacksonville. I can argue towards the end of last year he was probably our worst player on the OL.

Not sure how motivated he actually was going into this season. He wasn't going to get 9 million from anybody and that in itself probably means you weren't going to get an improved player this season.

And the idea that he can magically kick inside after not playing guard for 10 years needs to stop.

Cutting Albert from a playing perspective was the right move . . . And this team really has serious issues if one player leaving caused the lockerroom to become cancerous.

I still think it was a combination of losing the QB so late and all of the early displacement with the hurricane . . . This team never got its footing and the offense had such a bad stretch it became "whateverish".

Trying to overthink it and come up with conspiracies is typical Armandoness in the offseason.

Atila, Ray R, NBP81 and 1 other person like this.
  25. uk_dolfan

Id actually suggest losing Jake Long hurt a lot more than losing Incognito. It was said at the time that bullygate would never have existed if Jake Long had still be on the team

26. EvilDylan

EvilDylan Banned Hammered Donator

So you evaluated everything in the two minutes of screen time from a game?

psfign and Eesti like this.
  27. Vaark

What bigger indication of Leadership and Respect than when, being "suspended" for one quarter, and unable to get out there for the coin toss , his co-captains actually carrying out his jersey in tribute?

28. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't believe there can be "effective" leaders on a team without true direction....typically employees buy into the ideals and goals of management before they express their leadership...the team is led by the ciaches and the leaders of said team fill in the pieces with examples being set and vocally pushing team mates to achieve the goals of the team...otherwise the coaches would not have control of the team at all....

Yes the locker room and on field leadership is necessary from the players but it doesn't START there...

We need a solid foundation...guiding principles and discipline...then surround yourself with those who will buy into your goals...those with leadership as a personality trait will take over based on your principles...the players don't own the team or coach the team...they need direction first and need to BELIEVE in and TRUST the coaches......then you will see leaders emerge

IMO

29. traptses

traptses Starter Finheaven VIP

I was thinking the same exact thing

Vaark likes this.
  30. LibertineOneThree

LibertineOneThree English Fin

Is Suh not paid enough to lead the freaking team?

MiamiMuss likes this.
  31. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I said it a bunch during the season, having Jay Cutler and Julius Thomas on the same team was a bad idea.

32. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

Very hard to bring in any player from the outside and expect them to lead
    their position group or be a vocal leader

Ray R and rickd13 like this.
  33. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I agree with the other posters that pointed out that Suh should be a leader of this team. He is a vet but, more importantly, he is the highest paid guy on the team. He leads by example with his play but he needs to help the rest of the team with accountability and to give them a kick in the seat when they need it or coach them up when they are struggling.

34. Sofla328

Sofla328 Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    You can see how Dwyane Wade was unable to fill that leadership role last year in Chicago, even with all his clout and natural leadership abilities.

Fasano was probably brought in to help fill that Offense leadership role but being a new face to most of the team, and backup, it was an uphill battle.

Next year, I'm hoping that Drake can have a strong leadership role on this team. Being a starter on this team, running hard, and showing the fire he showed in the last game, I'd hope that resonates with the team and helps earn him the respect and open ears of the team. He seems the type to want to lead but just didn't have the clout on the team prior to now.

Ray R likes this.
  35. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't always agree with what the FO does but BA moving to guard would not have been a good idea. He was injured all the time while playing LT against smaller speed guys. Playing inside with all that traffic and facing 320 lbs DT's was not going to be a good idea at all. They did the right thing of letting him go.......what they did wrong was replacing him with Larsen. That did NOTHING to make the line better. We needed to get two new guards or one plus a center and instead they got us a career back up. Gase trusting Pouncey to be the "leader" of the o-line was another mistake. Pouncey would rather lead a street gang

Ozzy rules!!

Ray R likes this.
  36. jlfin

jlfin old pro

I recall during the Parcells years, they drafted Odrick, Misi etc and afterwards the FO stated that all the players in that draft had been voted captains of their respective college teams and they were picked by the Dolphins specifically because they felt the team needed leaders.
    Didn’t exactly work out.
    This is an in exact science.

Pandarilla and Ray R like this.
  37. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

38. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin There's one, set for stun Moderator Finheaven VIP

They tried that in the 2014 draft with Arthur Lynch, Turner, Tripp and crew. Here we sit in 2018, still looking for that leadership.

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/7305/dolphins-draft-wrap-up

39. jnozag

jnozag Well-Known Member

dumbest thing ive heard in a while. why didn't Marino get in there and motivate them? he's such a bad qb...

40. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator

Being a leader isnt for everybody, it's not like you just look around and decide you're going to be a leader. Being a good football player doesnt mean you're a good leader. From what I've read, McMillan is supposed to be a natural leader, but he's still pretty young. There's no easy fix, you just keep on drafting guys who show leadership qualities and it will take care of itself IMO...

Ray R and jlfin like this.