Armando- Wake and Dolphins not on same page | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando- Wake and Dolphins not on same page

Daytona Fin

Queeks Draw
Club Member
Reaction score
The idea that the Miami Dolphins want to keep Cameron Wake, and indeed extend his contract for one or two more years, took a significant hit before and during the Indianapolis Combine when the team and Wake's agent formerly discussed the subject.According to a source familiar with the exchange, the discussions have not gone well.
The discussions apparently did not start well as the parties were way, way far apart even conceptually of what was about to happen.
The Dolphins, apparently were trying to significantly cut Wake's scheduled cap number of $9.8 million for 2016. Wake expected that, but also expected some sort of in-kind gesture that would not result in an actual cut in salary and indeed would include an increase in money he is guaranteed, thus insuring his future with the Dolphins.
The difference between those two positions became a divide that has not been bridged as of this morning.
And, per the source, the differences in how to get the deal done is significant.
So Wake currently has one year left on his contract and is scheduled to make $8.275 million in base salary on the deal. At age 34, his future in Miami beyond this year is uncertain. The Dolphins, meanwhile, are about to carry the $9.8 million cap figure they were hoping to trim.
No one is getting what they want. At this stage, the parties are expected to do nothing further and instead live with the fact Wake will play out the final year of his contract. It is possible the Dolphins decide to cut Wake or try to trade him, but that is more an option than a likelihood.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...eron-wake-not-on-same-page-over-contract.html

wish they would extend him for a 2 year 12 million dollar deal all guaranteed or something like that for him and make both sides happy.

wish they would extend him for a 2 year 12 million dollar deal all guaranteed or something like that for him and make both sides happy.

All guaranteed? That would make no sense. He's 34 and coming back from major season ending surgery. Ireland is gone thank God. Sorry but Wake will be hard pressed to play a full season(let alone 2)without going down again

Ozzy rules

He's 34 years old, he's coming off of a torn Achilles, and he wasn't doing anything special before his injury anyway.
This defense needs to be totally rebuilt around Suh and Jones. If he won't take a pay cut then he can hit the bricks and take Grimes with him.

sounds like our negotiations so far with our own free agents are going poorly.

sounds like our negotiations so far with our own free agents are going poorly.

Or they're being smart and not overpaying for an injured 34 year old DE, a good but not great DE, a player at one of the most easy to plug and play positions (RB) and a WR that wants #2 money on a team where he'd be a #3 at most.

I'm confused on it. I love me some Wake, love watching him play. But this Achilles and his age concern me greatly.

Or they're being smart and not overpaying for an injured 34 year old DE, a good but not great DE, a player at one of the most easy to plug and play positions (RB) and a WR that wants #2 money on a team where he'd be a #3 at most.

not so much concerned with vernon or rishard matthews...but lamar and cam wake both seemed like layup deals to be made IMO. obviously i can't see behind the curtain, but you have two guys who want to be here, and have been here their whole careers....i think it'd be foolish to let either of them walk away, assuming their expectations are reasonable.

I would try and trade him.

His game is based on speed, he will be in a sprinters stance on most downs.

If he can't be traded I would let him go, but only if OV is signed long term.

If he won't do business then it's time to cut him and use savings to help offset some of his lost production. Wake is hard to replace but who knows if he is ever going to be the same player before injury

I won't lose any sleep if Wake is not here. IMO he's on the downside, and I think the Dolphins recognize that and I'd be shocked if they over pay for him.

Wake has the potential to be one of the BEST DE's in the league, at times. The issue I've had with him is he far too often disappears for far too many games.

I was hoping we could resign OV and restructure Wake. I know many of us are a little upset that Wake is standing firm and I know age and recent injury are the typical leverage points.

But i read somewhere on here a week or so ago that Cam is ahead of schedule and already roaming the facility. His age is a number... but Cam is probably one of the best physical specimens on our team. I don't know his exact time table, but I would bet Cam will be ready Week 1 and he is defended his conditioning and effort he has given all of these years.

Considering the money OV is pursuing, I can completely see Cam's belief he is worth $9M + even as a situational pass rusher. If he produces double digit sacks this year, there will be a line of teams "one player away" in pursuit of a Super Bowl willing to pay him a nice short term sum.

Cam's not restructuring without a good chunk of guaranteed money. Frankly, I don't blame him. He's never really broken the bank as a Dolphin.

I do hope we don't let Shelby walk out the door. I don't think we can survive, with all of the other holes we have, losing OV and Shelby this year and potentially Wake next year.

I wonder if Wake has any negative feelings about the fact that OV is set to make 15 million or so a year, when he, the far superior player, never even sniffed that number.

He has never said anything to this effect, I'm just wondering out loud.

Back
Top Bottom