Armando- Wake and Dolphins not on same page | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando- Wake and Dolphins not on same page

We have Wake for another year. There is some merit in seeing how he plays - ie how much gas he has left in the tank.
There is merit in renegotiating, but why commit to a lot more $ when he could be near the end of his great career as a Dolphin.

he wasn't doing anything special before his injury anyway.
So his 7 sacks and 4 FF in the 2 1/2 games prior to the injury wasn't anything special?... ...I'm not saying he'll be the same player now, but what he was doing before the injury was actually pretty darn special.

So his 7 sacks and 4 FF in the 2 1/2 games prior to the injury wasn't anything special?... ...I'm not saying he'll be the same player now, but what he was doing before the injury was actually pretty darn special.

Yeah that was an odd statement...

Love Wake, but you have to look to the future...I'm not discussing next season, but the direction of the franchise...

Vernon could be a long term player for this team, Wake has maybe 3 years tops left and we are unclear at what level those 3 years will be. Not saying we should do a player dirty, but when you are trying to "fix" a franchise it may be time to move on with this type of player.

This is a .500 team at best for 15 years. Them not re-signing certain guys isn't the worst thing.

I understand what you are saying, but the sentiment is not completely cut and dry. Every team has good/great players. Even in a rebuild, you have to correctly identify if current pieces should be kept. You don't want to initiate a complete 53 man rebuild. And you can't cut everyone at the beginning. So you have to correctly stagger your rebuild aligning with age, contract value, locker room presence, leadership, on the field value and the availability of a player who can replace him.

Matthews, Miller, OV, Shelby and Wake (restructure) are prime examples of players that should make a rebuilding GM take pause. Matthews, Miller, OV and Shelby are young players drafted and developed by the Dolphins. Miller, OV and Shelby have not had major injuiries and have improved to be solid contributors. Some might say, especially in Miller's case, under-utilized. These are prime candidates to keep. When you look closer, you see the new contract value much easier in Miller and Shelby. Neither guy has stepped out of line and has bought into being Dolphins. To me, those are no-brainer extensions.

Matthews is an interesting case. But for me, his recent injury and whatever issues he had with Philbin put me on the fence. When you factor in Parker, Stills and Landry then I'm ready to close the book on Matthews. He is replaceable.

OV has two big problems: "Me" and stupid penalties. People like to compare OV to Wake and show the difference in sacks. But when you look at little harder you see how OV's run support is more polished than Wake's. If you were building a cake, OV is the unnoticed bottom layer and Wake is the decorated top layer. Both compliment each other. So are we underpaying Wake or is OV wanting too much money?

Of all the problems contributing to a .500 season, we can look at OV, Miller, Matthews, Wake and Shelby and honestly assess they are not the reason for losing half of our games. They are all pieces we should continue to build around in terms of talent. But financial constraints ultimately decide most football decisions.

For that reason, I see OV walking. OV may think he is worth $15M and he has an interesting case. But until OV improves his "finishing" of sacks, I don't think he is worth more than $10 - $12M. And apparently that is precisely where the FO values him.

I just hate seeing talent we have FINALLY developed walk out the door. It merely repeats the cycle of bad drafting. As we now lose the few good draft pieces we did develop.

Have no fear, we still have Dallas Thomas.

A guy like Wake is one of the few types of players that can come back from an Achilles injury at this age. The man works extremely hard to show up in the best shape every year. Wake was on the way to having one hell of a year next to Suh by the looks of things. I'd give him a 2 year extension without thinking twice, time to show loyalty to a player that's been nothing but loyal for us.

I'm sorry that his performances in blowouts vs the awful Titans and mediocre Texans were very forgettable.
Wake was a non factor in the first 4 games and at the end of the day, he's a 34 year old end coming off of a major injury.
We need to move on and get younger if he won't take a pay cut.

Love everything Wake has done for us, but it is probably about time to move on. Sick and tired of wasting time and money on has beens

I'm sorry that his performances in blowouts vs the awful Titans and mediocre Texans were very forgettable.
Wake was a non factor in the first 4 games and at the end of the day, he's a 34 year old end coming off of a major injury.

why should he take a pay cut, is Suh going to tajke a pay cut. In reality nobody takes a pay cut they just get more guaranteed money

7 sacks in 7 games is downright dominant no matter how you spread them out...

I could easily see most of the guys not resigned

signing with the focking patriots

and earning their rings.

There is no way to avoid the fact that the Dolphins have been poorly managed.

The GM and whatever t-bombs role is have done a poor job of handling all of the team management duties.

There is absolutely no way to not recognize that fact,

from the way that they managed to completely misjudge all of the talent (read LACK OF) on defense last year...

to the way that they have consistently failed to sign & develop a cohesive Offensive line.

Management is not changing anytime soon either. The same guys that were judging talent last year and ultimately making the final decision

are the same guys who are handling talent this year.

He was dealing with a hamstring issue in the beginning of the season. You notice after the bye when he had time to get healthy, he was back in business? 2 sacks 2 FF against Houston, a sack against NE in the game he got hurt is pretty damn good. I bring those 2 teams up because they were both playoff teams. Philbin should have sat him in the beginning of the year to let him heal.

OV isnt that good, even when playing with one of the best DEs in football whose usually double teamed. He makes dumb mistakes, he had the most hurries and hits in the NFL? That just tells me he's always a step late and hits them anyway. Id rather Wake get OVs paycheck. I have faith that he will be back in shape and the same he was.

Back
Top Bottom