Armando: Wallace tells it like it is | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando: Wallace tells it like it is

Dolfan23

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/

It's not what Mike Wallace says but how he says it. Basically, the man cannot lie and you see how transparent he is when he talks about the season he's had with the Dolphins and the so-far disappointing chemistry he's had with quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

Wallace, who has 44 catches for 534 yards (12.1 yard per catch) with one touchdown, today was asked what type of season he's having.

"It's alright, it's OK," Wallace says, a sly smile coming his to his face. Could be better? "A lot better," he says.

Indeed, the Dolphins have a count for the number of times he's been open deep down the field for potential touchdowns and the ball was either underthrown, poorly thrown, or thrown to another receiver short. The number is in the double figures.

So no wonder Wallace feels it could be better. And make no mistake, scoring points is what Wallace sees as the thing when discussing personal goals. It's not catches. It's not yards. Points. And on that front, he knows it isn't happening for him. "Sheesh, I got one touchdown," he said.

Wallace was asked if, because of his speed, Tannehill should simply try to overthrow him and at the very least allow him to run under passes. Wallace's chuckes. "Maybe."

Wallace was asked if he's frustrated with Tannehill and he answers, "Nope, I'm not frustrated. I'm fine. I just want to win football games."

Wallace is definitely frustrated that the things he did in Pittsburgh for four years have not translated. He mentioned earlier this year after Week 4 that he was worried but it wasn't time to panic. He said, however, if we reached Week 8 and nothing had changed, that would be time to panic. "Ha, it's Week 11," Wallace noted. "

The amazing thing is there seems to be a disconnect in what Wallace sees as success and wants to accomplish -- which is probably in line with what the rest of the world wants -- and what the Dolphins see and want.

You'll recall after Wallace caught four passes for 39 yards against San Diego, offensive coordinator Mike Sherman was effusive about Wallace.

"I thought Mike had a tremendous ball game," Sherman said. "He ran hard, and he ran his routes very disciplined. He was open on a number of occasion and sometimes it was protection issues and we didn’t get him the ball, other times we just didn’t get him the ball, but I thought Mike had a tremendous impact in that ball game, because he changed how they played us and allowed us an opportunity to control the game with some runs and what not. He started the game with a catch and a first down where he broke some tackles. It kind of set a tempo for us, I thought, in that ball game."

Wallace was asked what he thought of Sherman raving about him. "He raved about the game I had?" Wallace asked incredulously. "I had 39 yards."

Good to know Wallace is still a resident of Earth -- along with the rest of us.

They are still misusing him....THe deep ball is great, but that is not the only type of pass he caught in Pittsburgh...it has been said a thousand times....move him around, send him in motion, do whatever you can to get him line up in a mismatch

They are still misusing him....THe deep ball is great, but that is not the only type of pass he caught in Pittsburgh...it has been said a thousand times....move him around, send him in motion, do whatever you can to get him line up in a mismatch

This is clearly all part of the master plan to develop Ryan Tannehill by asking him to throw fastballs through coke bottles instead of scheming to get guys open in space.

This is clearly all part of the master plan to develop Ryan Tannehill by asking him to throw fastballs through coke bottles instead of scheming to get guys open in space.

As well as missing on draft picks in the 2nd and 3rd round....all part of the plans to make this team great....right?

"Indeed, the Dolphins have a count for the number of times he's been open deep down the field for potential touchdowns and the ball was either underthrown, poorly thrown, or thrown to another receiver short. The number is in the double figures".
This is the first time that I've heard this but it makes total sense when you have a $60M investment without appreciable dividends. I suspect that Tannehill gets feedback on this KPI.
In simple terms he needs to be able to throw a good deep ball to extract real value from Wallace. Tannehill continues to improve in many dimensions but if he can't connect with a good deep ball he will only reach mediocre QB status.

What this story really tell us is that Sherman is a moron, and yes, tannehill needs to do a better job. If it is true that tannehill has missed Wallace I. Double digit numbers (not counting any balls that Wallace has dropped if those are included in those double digits), he is contributing to part of the problem and better get it resolved... In the end mike Sherman is still a moron

What this story really tell us is that Sherman is a moron, and yes, tannehill needs to do a better job. If it is true that tannehill has missed Wallace I. Double digit numbers (not counting any balls that Wallace has dropped if those are included in those double digits), he is contributing to part of the problem and better get it resolved... In the end mike Sherman is still a moron

I'm totally done with Mike Sherman. I've been in denial for over a year, but when I told a buddy of mine that the Dolphins hired Sherman as the OC and he started laughing at me, he clearly knew something I didn't.

He warned me about all of this. :idk:

I seem to remember Tanehill having one of the most accurate deep balls, or at least I thought.

I think Sherman was just saying that Wallace had a great day as far as his effort and overall impact on the offense was. That's debatable but if he's talking about his production then yeah Sherman has lost his mind. I don't know if drops were counted among those double digits but they did mention blocking breakdowns and Tannehill throwing to guys underneath so those aren't really the fault of Tannehill.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

I seem to remember Tanehill having one of the most accurate deep balls, or at least I thought.

I think someone said he's around 44% overall but only around 20% throwing deep to Wallace.

It is funny how loathed Wallace is on Finheaven. The truth is as usual, the Dolphins are not using him correctly. Ala Brandon Marshall, Reggie Bush...
Tannehill is having a Good Year. He is making real progress, but the reality is if he had connected with Wallace a couple of more times, we might have won 2 more games, and Wallace would have 3 more Touchdowns Dude.

i'm sure the qbs frustrated with him too...definitely some missed big play ops by the qb but definitely a good number of missed plays by the wr

Me = broken record; this is a coaching issue. Just about EVERYONE on this board has been saying the same thing. Let if fly and let him run under it. Damn this is frustrating.

Tannehill has no deep ball. Sorry, truth hurts.

Henne couldn't hit Marshall deep down field either.

Tannehill is a better version of Alex Smith.

In one sentence he says it isnt about yards, and in the next sentence he scoffed at Sherman praising him for only having 39 yards.... which is it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom