Armando's Blog: Philbin Instructed Lazor To Be Aggressive | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando's Blog: Philbin Instructed Lazor To Be Aggressive

nyashfan

For Earth Below
Reaction score
If we can just focus on the Dolphins possession with 3 minutes to go. Armando was emphatic in his blog that Philbin instructed Lazor to be aggressive and do whatever was necessary to obtain the game clinching 1st down. Armando even quotes Philbin as saying that in no way could they afford to give Rodgers one more drive. So Philbin understood the urgency of the situation.

I interpret that message to Lazor that 3 play call sequences were acceptable: 1) Run, Run, Run; 2) Run, Pass, Pass; 3) Pass, Pass, Pass. I don't think that Run, Run, Pass was acceptable once the initial run gains only one yard. And obviously Lazor's choice of Run, Pass, Run was the worst and most inconsistent option.

So given Armando's comments that this situation was discussed and planned for ahead of time, how should the blame be apportioned for the lack of execution?

My biggest criticism of Philbin is that he is too much of a delegator. So is the play sequence failure 100% on Lazor, or is this a situation in which Philbin should have demanded that the run/pass play sequence met his approval,

My gut reaction is that Philbin read the situation, yet deserves the blame for allowing Lazor complete autonomy with the play call sequence. Or perhaps the reality is that Lazor has 100% control over the play calling and it was his responsibility alone to execute Philbin's explicit instructions to be ultra-aggressive in that situation.

lazor took the job i believe with the understanding that he would have complete control of play calling...and so if you ask me bill lazor shelled up and played scared at the end...i'm putting it on the oc...the clock management that last pack drive etc that's probably more hc related unless coyle was screaming for them to stop the clock on that fateful 4th and 10

If that's the case, it's on Lazor. He calls the plays, and should have called them according to that directive. Philbin's never been a play caller anyway, so not sure how much input he could have given.

Lazor has been a major disappointment so far this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe just said in his press conference that he told Lazor to run the ball on 3rd down.

If we can just focus on the Dolphins possession with 3 minutes to go. Armando was emphatic in his blog that Philbin instructed Lazor to be aggressive and do whatever was necessary to obtain the game clinching 1st down. Armando even quotes Philbin as saying that in no way could they afford to give Rodgers one more drive. So Philbin understood the urgency of the situation.

I interpret that message to Lazor that 3 play call sequences were acceptable: 1) Run, Run, Run; 2) Run, Pass, Pass; 3) Pass, Pass, Pass. I don't think that Run, Run, Pass was acceptable once the initial run gains only one yard. And obviously Lazor's choice of Run, Pass, Run was the worst and most inconsistent option.

So given Armando's comments that this situation was discussed and planned for ahead of time, how should the blame be apportioned for the lack of execution?

My biggest criticism of Philbin is that he is too much of a delegator. So is the play sequence failure 100% on Lazor, or is this a situation in which Philbin should have demanded that the run/pass play sequence met his approval,

My gut reaction is that Philbin read the situation, yet deserves the blame for allowing Lazor complete autonomy with the play call sequence. Or perhaps the reality is that Lazor has 100% control over the play calling and it was his responsibility alone to execute Philbin's explicit instructions to be ultra-aggressive in that situation.

That's good to hear that Philbin was thinking what we were all thinking. I liked the run on 1st down to get the clock running. I liked passing on 2nd down to try and get the 1st down and milk the clock. I HATED running it on 3rd down though. That's where I have a problem. If there was a minute left in the game then sure run it and punt. But 4 minutes left it's not like the 30 seconds we run off is that much of a difference maker.

To answer your question though, I think Philbin has to trust his coaches. That's what they're paid to do. In the moment you have to trust them there and if there's a failure then you work on it the following week so that it won't happen again. But if Philbin starts 2nd guessing his coaches in game that could cause more issues than it solves.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Joe just said in his press conference that he told Lazor to run the ball on 3rd down.

Is he falling on the sword or did he actually tell him that? It wouldn't surprise me as Philbin seems to be scared of big moments and likes turtling up.

To be honest, I really wasn't upset about the run in that spot. Perhaps a screen or something may have been better, but they seemed to snuff that out too. An incompletion would have been the worst case scenario (other than a turnover), they needed to keep the clock going. In the offense on that drive, not sure we would have converted a 7 yard pass for the first down.

I was more upset about the previous 2 play calls. Needed to make it 3rd and short.

To be honest, I really wasn't upset about the run in that spot. Perhaps a screen or something may have been better, but they seemed to snuff that out too. An incompletion would have been the worst case scenario (other than a turnover), they needed to keep the clock going. In the offense on that drive, not sure we would have converted a 7 yard pass for the first down.

Disagree. With 4 minutes to go, 30 seconds off the clock with Aaron Rodgers is nothing. So the run doesn't help at all. You gotta throw the ball there and try and get the 1st down and put the game away. That's worth a hell of a lot more than milking 30 seconds off the clock with a ton of time left for the Packers.

Interesting.........

Lazor is a first time OC, so hopefully will learn from this. I would like to also know if he called the entire play sequence at the goal line on the when we were stopped on 4th down. That series of runs up the gut weren't very good either.

Wow. That is stunning. Philbin contradicted his own game plan. He was clearly influenced by the 2nd down lack of execution. Even if the OL was to blame for the 2nd down pressure, ultimately Philbin didn't trust Tannehill to execute a 3rd down passing situation. And if the head coach doesn't trust his QB, and there is reason why he shouldn't, then there is no sense analyzing these situations until the Dolphins settle on a new starting QB that the new head coach trusts.

J. David Wannyheimer;1065194771]Joe just said in his press conference that he told Lazor to run the ball on 3rd down.

I was more upset about the previous 2 play calls. Needed to make it 3rd and short.
If we don't have at least a zillion plays for 3rd and 7 situations in the playbook, this just confirms we need a whole new coaching staff.

We know from some of Sherman's comments that Tannehill had the ability to change the play at the line, even in crucial end game situations like this going back as far the the OT loss vs the Jets, his third game as a pro I believe. Does Tannehill still have this power or has it been taken away?

To clarify, I meant that Philbin should have directed Lazor whether to run or pass. The actual run or pass play to call was Lazor's responsibility.

If that's the case, it's on Lazor. He calls the plays, and should have called them according to that directive. Philbin's never been a play caller anyway, so not sure how much input he could have given.

So far in 5 games with new offense, a brand new offensive line, along with some people's ill-opinion that our QB "sucks" and we don't have a talented WR core, yet we have still managed to average 24 pts a game.

How the **** is that a disappointment?

Back
Top Bottom