Armstrong blazing new trail this year | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armstrong blazing new trail this year

Exactly. Receivers with blazing speed, running good routes and that for some reason the quarterbacks are looking for in practice & the starting quarterback tells the media he is proud of (while wearing a big smile) are cut all the time. People, this guy Armstrong is on the fringe, he's teetering. No team in the NFL is even mildly interested in him. The only reason his name was mentioned is Pennington & Sparano picked it out of a hat.

I never said all that but correct me if Im wrong he was available all year last year and nobody picked him up. So all of a sudden because of an OTA the league is going to be clamoring for a guy that might barely make our team, get real.

I sure hope we can find a way to keep him on the roster. The way it looks it is down between him and London for the 6th spot on the roster. London is the better ST player at this point so he has a leg up.

I have a feeling that if Armstrong continues to impress when the pads are on, and Hartline has a good preseason then Hartline could take London's spot on the special teams and London would be the one caught in the numbers game.

One thing we have to keep in mind is Turner and Hartline are both the same sort of tall, redzone, possesion sort of WR that London is. Ginn is the only burner and Bess is the quick slot, so we could use another burner especially if Ginn were to go down. All you want as a professional player is a chance and Armstrong has it. It will come down to who does the best in training camp IMO.

Camp in gonna be a blast this year. I can't wait.

I never said all that but correct me if Im wrong he was available all year last year and nobody picked him up. So all of a sudden because of an OTA the league is going to be clamoring for a guy that might barely make our team, get real.

With that logic, we can also say no one bothered to draft Davone Bess last year..

And all Bess did was have the 2nd best rookie season of an undrafted free agent WR in NFL history (only behind Wayne Chrebet's rookie year).

With that logic, we can also say no one bothered to draft Davone Bess last year..

And all Bess did was have the 2nd best rookie season of an undrafted free agent WR in NFL history (only behind Wayne Chrebet's rookie year).

thats not the same logic. Bess has shown what he can do so teams have taken notice. I dont even see that as in he same ballpark. At this point last year teams were not lining up for Bess based on OTA's either. Armstrong has bouced around since 2005 and not made an NFL team to this point so no there are no teams drooling about Armstrong getting cut. Now if he shows something in preseason then maybe teams will take notice. No team is lining up to get somebody based on his performance in shorts.

thats not the same logic. Bess has shown what he can do so teams have taken notice.

WTF are you talking about ? Last year at this time NO ONE wanted him, which is why he wasn't drafted.

The point is, if they could fast forward a year to THEN see what he can do-- You know, like have the potential to have the 2nd best rookie season for an UDFA WR, then he surely would have been drafted..

But we can take it to another level.. There have been plenty of players come out of nowhere to become really good NFL players... I am not saying Armstrong will be a stud in this league, Derek Hagan looked great in practice but sucked in games-- we will have to see Armstrong with the pads on to see if he really improved.. But your logic is flawed when you say stuff like "nobody wanted him" so he must not be an NFL player.. Because the fact of the matter is, there's quite a few players in the league that not many teams wanted at one time.

WTF are you talking about ? Last year at this time NO ONE wanted him, which is why he wasn't drafted.

The point is, if they could fast forward a year to THEN see what he can do-- You know, like have the potential to have the 2nd best rookie season for an UDFA WR, then he surely would have been drafted..

But we can take it to another level.. There have been plenty of players come out of nowhere to become really good NFL players... I am not saying Armstrong will be a stud in this league, Derek Hagan looked great in practice but sucked in games-- we will have to see Armstrong with the pads on to see if he really improved.. But your logic is flawed when you say stuff like "nobody wanted him" so he must not be an NFL player.. Because the fact of the matter is, there are a plethora of players playing well in the league that not many teams wanted at one time.

I never said he cannot become a good NFL player, anything is possible. I said no teams are waiting on Armstrong to be cut. When he is cut he may get another look but he has done nothing to excite anybody outside of Miami. In fact we were so excited with him that we drafted 2 more wr's to pass him up on the depth chart. Make no mistake about it Armstrong and London are fighting for thier fringe NFL life at this point and both could be easily jobless this year.

My statement was about league interest in Armstrong which was reflected in no team signing him off our practice squad the whole year. Can things change of course but he has done nothing to get the rest of the league excited about signing him.

I think you missed the point, he had a good PS last year, it's not about an OTA, he's been growing period...you don't think other teams pick up the paper and web blogs about a player during the summer..I bet Belicheck knows about his progress...bill won't grap him because of the money he has invested in WRs, but NY Jets might.....If the guy blows up the PS this summer, I'm betting he's on someone's radar...2 good PS in a row, and good talk about his improvement...some team is keeping an eye out for acorns of their own..:up:

are they going to try armstrong out at returner? he'll probably make the team as the 6th reciever

That would be an interesting scenario as we are pretty weak in the return game. I think if he is going to get anywhere near the team it will be as a returner.

no team is going to go crazy for armstrong there are players like that cut every year. Now at some point Armstrong may become a commodity but he and Brandon London are basically fringe NFL players at this point

at this point that's correct. but if armstrong keeps ripping it up in camp and preseason he'll never make it to PS. he'd be claimed off waivers. guys that can make big plays down field are a commodity...

at this point that's correct. but if armstrong keeps ripping it up in camp and preseason he'll never make it to PS. he'd be claimed off waivers. guys that can make big plays down field are a commodity...

Exactly, just like a team picked up Hagan last year after we cut him and he wasn't showing all that much in PS..he was better in practice than he was on the field.. but Armstrong was good in both last year and if he has another good year of practice and field work in PS..he will get noticed...and someone may take a flyer on him if we don't keep him.

The more the merrier (especially if they are super fast) :d-day:

You bet! Ginn opening the field for Armstrong and the other way around with Pat in wildcat throwing deep with safeties cheating up! Yum = TD = POINTS!

I guess you forgot about how well he did last PS, I thought he'd make the 53 man roster, then I held my breath when we cut him and was very happy that we signed him to the PS.
I forgot......I don't remember any WR having a good Preseason, I think I remember him having some good practices but not in the preseason games.......help me out

Back
Top Bottom