Article/eval on Tua's ability to produce after first read; bust potential | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article/eval on Tua's ability to produce after first read; bust potential

The funny thing is this kid who looks like hes 12 has Tua going to SD at 6 but says when healthy hes the better player than Herbery who he has going to us at 5 for his final mock draft.

What great catches are we referring to? There’s not a single throw Tua has made or a single catch any receiver for Alabama has made that I haven’t seen. I count about 5 catches between all of em that could even be considered out of the ordinary.

They never had to make great catches because the ball was always on the money. Did you happen to see the two perfectly placed touchdowns that Jeudy dropped against LSU?

If you want to see a bunch of great catches - go watch Clemson’s receivers.

So many people are chiming in that just have no clue what they’re talking about. I’ve come to realize it’s just part of talking about college football on an NFL team’s message board. Just baffling to be honest.

I watched all these receivers run open for 2 years while Jalen Hurts was the quarterback. He couldn’t get ‘em the football.
I talked about it at length in the college football forum. It finally took a locker room revolt by the whole receiver group to put an end to that nonsense.

If Tua can just avoid the injuries he’ll be better than any of these receivers.

Henry Ruggs has become one of the most overrated players in this entire draft. He’s a 2nd rounder. The top 15 pick talk by these draftniks all over the place is going to make for interesting thread bumps down the road.

Ok, Mr. Pach aka Slimm. I've had enough of the backhanded Trevor Lawrence disses mmkay?

Thank you sir.

Phinatic8u

I can't wait for your top qbs for 2021 and Trevor is you're 3rd qb :lol:

I was really just stating the truth. Clemson's receivers make incredible catches every single game. Because they have to.

I don't care how anybody takes it. It is what it is.

Interesting that not everybody is sold on Tua as a prospect. Derrick Klassen said nearly the exact same thing about Tua:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2020/futures-alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoa

"When operating on-schedule and unfazed, as the previous five clips show, Tagovailoa looks as sharp as anyone in the class. He can zip through his first couple of reads, find the open man, and throw a plenty accurate ball. The glaring hole in Tagovailoa's game, however, is what happens once the pocket closes in on him. Tagovailoa's work from cluttered pockets is shoddy at best, and deeply concerning at worst."

OTOH, let's not pretend these guys are calling Tua crap. Both think he's a very good prospect. Just not can't miss.

Interesting that not everybody is sold on Tua as a prospect. Derrick Klassen said nearly the exact same thing about Tua:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2020/futures-alabama-qb-tua-tagovailoa

"When operating on-schedule and unfazed, as the previous five clips show, Tagovailoa looks as sharp as anyone in the class. He can zip through his first couple of reads, find the open man, and throw a plenty accurate ball. The glaring hole in Tagovailoa's game, however, is what happens once the pocket closes in on him. Tagovailoa's work from cluttered pockets is shoddy at best, and deeply concerning at worst."

Everybody has never been sold on anybody. Everybody has a critic.

I'll take Tua - well, I did take Tua. I haven't enjoyed having a player that special since Derrick Thomas. Best quarterback in the history of Alabama football and one of the finest people to ever step foot on campus.

Besides, Tua's offensive line was elite. How could the pocket close in on him and become cluttered?

Ok, Mr. Pach aka Slimm. I've had enough of the backhanded Trevor Lawrence disses mmkay?

Thank you sir.

Phinatic8u

I don't understand the reluctance to accept criticism of Trevor Lawrence. He could not have looked more ordinary in the 2019 playoffs. It was barely above 50% completions -- 36 of 70 -- and a pedestrian 7 YPA.

Lawrence couldn't do much of anything throwing against Ohio State so he defaulted to running on his own. Great credit for making that work, and for the drive that pulled out the game. But if Fields had responded with the follow up touchdown drive instead of throwing a forced interception in the end zone on first down, there would have been tons of scrutiny on Lawrence's lackluster performance and how normal he can look if the rangy receivers aren't bailing him out with circus catches a yard outside the boundary.

The championship game was incredibly boring in the 4th quarter because Lawrence had nothing. It was one predictable errant line drive after another. Totally outmatched by Joe Burrow.

Earlier in the game Burrow had been backed up and frustrated. Trevor Lawrence failed to fully capitalize. Far beyond that, Lawrence seemed totally oblivious to how imperative it was to build that lead as high as possible. This wasn't a typical opponent. You aren't going to rally like at Chapel Hill. Burrow isn't going to hit a wall like Justin Fields did. It was identical to cheap yards on an interception return. Clemson desperately needed every cheap point while LSU was reeling early. Lawrence had no clue about that. He was jogging off the field like an unconcerned Tannehill. It was the first time I questioned Lawrence's situational awareness and overall tenacity, along with whether he has enough variance of pace and arch.

You are joking right?.... While Burrow had near comparable talent To Alabama and Tua...and quite sure LSU did not have two first round bookend tackles... or 4 1st round wideouts.

Oregon? Not even close.

You want to jerk off thinking those teams are all equal? Help yourself!

What’s truly funny is, you have absolutely no idea how bad you are at all of this. It is entertaining, I’ll give you that.

As you were.

Everybody has never been sold on anybody. Everybody has a critic.

I'll take Tua - well, I did take Tua. I haven't enjoyed having a player that special since Derrick Thomas. Best quarterback in the history of Alabama football and one of the finest people to ever step foot on campus.

Besides, Tua's offensive line was elite. How could the pocket close in on him and become cluttered?

Yep. There were critics of Elway and Luck. And Manning too.

Totally agree about how special Tua has been. And I’m a Bama hater. Loud and proud. But even I have been able to see it.

Despite all the talent that has run through that program, no other QB has managed to equal what he did. He’s been the most dynamic QB they’ve ever had.

Will that translate to the NFL? We’ll see. But he’s accomplished and proved a lot so far.

Name another true freshman QB that Nick Saban would have ever trusted in the 2nd half of a National title game. I‘m quite confident that list would be very short.

I don't think research like this should be dismissed, but this guy is no Nate Silver. The author missed a few key statistical concepts, like overlapping contexts (multicollinearity) and not enough contexts (omitted variable bias). Example: you can have a scenario where the passer could be in multiple contexts identified by the author. Being "pressured" and "out of pocket" are not necessarily separate events, but the author is attributing the ball placement to singular events. Poorly designed study imo.

Sometimes analytics can get in the way of what you're really seeing.

I am by no means an Alabama fan but to downplay how great Tua is on the college level is disconcerting at best.

The kid is something special and for my useless board, he's 1b behind Cool Joe's 1a only because of injury history and size concern to a lesser extent.

Barring injury, he's going to be a pretty good NFL QB.

HoF? Probably not.

Can he make some noise in the playoffs?

Probably so, especially if they get plenty of offensive help in the next few days.

What’s truly funny is, you have absolutely no idea how bad you are at all of this. It is entertaining, I’ll give you that.

As you were.

I have a 50 year track record of being pretty good at seeing QB talent...nobody’s perfect.

You check the archives here on the 2004 draft....Aaron Rodgers who the gurus here didn’t want...I pushed for. And he would have been the 2nd overall pick If I was picking.

I wanted Marino in 84’....I wanted Brees 00’....I wanted Matt Ryan over Long.
I did want Tannehill....and I think think this organization got him beat up.

I also pushed for Drew Lock last year against the gurus....and I think I’ll be right about him.

Tua is a great talent...more pro ready than anybody after Burrow in my opinion....who is QB1.

My problem is not Tua’s talent....it’s about not believing he’ll hold up in the NFL.

If they roll that dice...I pray he holds up!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom