article from last year about cowhers interest in dolphins job | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

article from last year about cowhers interest in dolphins job

phinatic1399

Diehard Phinatic!
Reaction score
While the Miami Dolphins are busy cleaning out their lockers in Davie, a prospect for new coach wants the team owner to clean house.
Bill Cowher has been rumored for the past few weeks to be really interested in bringing his talents to Miami Gardens, but now a report has surfaced that the former Pittsburgh Steelers coach would have a few conditions before meeting with Stephen Ross.
One, of course, is a given. Current coach Tony Sparano has to be fired. But Cowher wants GM Jeff Ireland gone too, according to NFL.com.
The report quotes a source close to Cowher, who claims the CBS football analyst wants total control of football personnel decisions and about $8 million per year to right the ship in Miami.
While fans would jump on that deal in a heart beat (if this were "Deal or No Deal" we'd jump on the red button with both feet), Ross might not be so willing to part with Ireland, who was recently promoted to replace Bill Parcells as the decision maker on all things football related.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports...-Firing-Sparano-Ireland-Source-112827059.html

I believe Ross will dump Ireland in a heartbeat to get a big name guy like Cowher.

Billionaires aren't stupid. especially when stadiums aren't full. Ireland has been definitely prudent with Ross' dollars, but he also has been abysmal in the free agent market.

Ireland is more than replaceable.

I like Cowher as coach...Cowher as personnel man scares me. He's unproven in that department, no track record so we have no idea how he would do and then he wants $8 million on top of that...that's a tough call even for a billionaire owner.

I like Cowher as coach...Cowher as personnel man scares me. He's unproven in that department, no track record so we have no idea how he would do and then he wants $8 million on top of that...that's a tough call even for a billionaire owner.
yeah, im not a fan of our last few gm/personnel guys results but i think i would deal with it for cowher...remember 11 trips to the playoffs in 15 years and 9 times as division champs...Give that man luck and lets win some superbowls

There are rumors that Cowher was the one behind the drafting of Roethlisberger, so he knows the importance of a franchise QB.

Cowher will have full control over personnel yes, but he will work hand and hand with his GM to make these decisions, it is not like he will go into free agency and the draft blindly and make all the soul decisions, the reason he wants his own GM is so they both can be on the same page and make personnel moves together, at the end of the day yes cowher will decide who gets cut, who starts and all that but he will work with his GM in the draft process and personnel moves, it's not like he will sit in the war room all alone and draft by himself, he will be with his GM, VP of fball operations, college scouts, they will all work together to get things done.

Ross was obviously ready to get a new coach last year. If Ross was willing to ditch Ireland for Cowher, we would have done it last year. We arent getting Cowher.

I don't care if he's not the next Air Coryell or turns into the second coming of Chuck Knox . whatever way Cowher gets it done is fine with me. I can't think of anyone better to start imprinting "winner" on the team!

2niruhc-1.jpg

I don't care if he's not the next Air Coryell or turns into the second coming of Chuck Knox . whatever way Cowher gets it done is fine with me. I can't think of anyone better to start imprinting "winner" on the team!

2niruhc-1.jpg

Jon Gruden would be better for one, because he is much more quarterback centric, offensive minded, and embraces the spread concepts of the college game. If Cowher doesn't show a willingness to embrace the college spread concepts, then he absolutely should not be hired. Ground and pound in Miami doesn't work. It hasn't in the 15 years it has been tried in Miami since 1996.

Bascially, Bill Cowher is a better version of Dave Wannstedt.

Ross was obviously ready to get a new coach last year. If Ross was willing to ditch Ireland for Cowher, we would have done it last year. We arent getting Cowher.
I think there's a big difference between last year (coming off a 7-9 season and going into a completely unknown situation with a lockout) and this year ( a settled cba and an 0-5 start, with no Parcells as cover).

Jon Gruden would be better for one, because he is much more quarterback centric, offensive minded, and embraces the spread concepts of the college game. If Cowher doesn't show a willingness to embrace the college spread concepts, then he absolutely should not be hired. Ground and pound in Miami doesn't work. It hasn't in the 15 years it has been tried in Miami since 1996.

Cowher is a winner- no matter how he gets it done. And he actually did it with his own team!

BC chose and developed Big Ben right to Year 1 SB. Gruden has been able to clean the fuel injectors and extract more high test mileage out of journeyman QBs on the downward arc of their careers including Gannon of course, and to a lesser extent 1 deceptive year from Brian Griese (with an assist from the TB D) and maybe Brad Johnson, maybe not. That's what his reputation has been formed on. To the best of my knowledge he's never developed a rookie sensation like Cowher has or Luck is.. matter of fact, after a few years of draft choice droughts, he was the second idiot to take the other p/t SEC Auburn RB at#5, stand pat with Griese based on his faulty assessment, instead of snatching up Aaron Rodgers. I admit the guy talks a great game, but I just don't get this "QB guru" stuff, sorry :idk:

People can change their minds, I am sure Ross's opinion of Ireland are not as strong now as they were back in January. I know Ireland and Peterson have history together and Peterson told Ross last year to stick with him, but Peterson and Ross are not dumb. Ross wants a star head coach, and we wants a franchise QB. If Peterson is truly giving Ross advice, I am sure they see a couple of solid draft prospects(Luck, Jones, Barkley) and know that you have to make the organization attractive to these young guys, especially Luck who could pull a power play.

If getting Luck and/or Cowher this upcoming offseason hinges on Jeff Ireland, I don't think Ross will hesitate to get rid of him. What I could see happening is Ross giving someone like Cowher full authority over the front office and tell him you can make the decision on Jeff. Let Cowher interview the guy and sit down with him and then decide if you want him to stay or not. I don't see Ross trying to force Ireland on people like he did in January.

I think these comments are dead on. The NFL has absolutely changed in the past decade, Manning and Brady eclipsing Marino's magic 48 TD's was proof enough in back to back seasons.

I am leaning towards Gruden as my number one, I think the league is geared to his style now.

Cowher is a winner- no matter how he gets it done. And he actually did it with his own team!

BC chose and developed Big Ben right to Year 1 SB. Gruden has been able to clean the fuel injectors and extract more high test mileage out of journeyman QBs on the downward arc of their careers including Gannon of course, and to a lesser extent 1 deceptive year from Brian Griese (with an assist from the TB D) and maybe Brad Johnson, maybe not. That's what his reputation has been formed on. To the best of my knowledge he's never developed a rookie sensation like Cowher has or Luck is.. matter of fact, after a few years of draft choice droughts, he was the second idiot to take the other p/t SEC Auburn RB at#5, stand pat with Griese based on his faulty assessment, instead of snatching up Aaron Rodgers. I admit the guy talks a great game, but I just don't get this "QB guru" stuff, sorry :idk:

How you win is very much an issue. 15 years of ground and pound should be enough to tell you that you should go in a different direction than hire another head coach with a ground and pound history. This isn't a cold weather team. We shouldn't try to build this team to be a cold weather team. We should build this team to be a warm weather team that is willing to spread people out, throw the ball around the field, and play an up tempo, no huddle style.

As far as Cowher developing Roethlisberger, he had him as the ultimate game manager during his first two years. Heck, Pittsburgh ran the ball 618 times in Roethlisberger's rookie year. Their philosophy was play strong defense, run the ball, and don't let Roethlisberger beat us.

Roethlisberger's passing didn't take off till Mike Tomlin came in and hired Bruce Arians, who embraced college spread concepts and utilizes them in his offense.

Back
Top Bottom