Article: Myth Buster - First Round Quarterbacks and the Super Bowl | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article: Myth Buster - First Round Quarterbacks and the Super Bowl

ckparrothead said:
Myth Buster: First Round Quarterbacks and the Super Bowl

by Chris Kouffman

Dude you're relentless, thank god you're a fin fan. Good read thanks.

ckparrothead said:
It should also strike the reader that first round quarterbacks are 20-15 in the big game itself, while non-first round quarterbacks are 18-25 in the big game.

CK...Check your math here. 20-15 and 18-25 gives 38 superbowl victors, and 40 losers.

ckparrothead said:
Keep in mind the title of my piece though, myth busting. This isn't meant so much to be a cohesive argument FOR always taking a first round QB or something, but rather an effective argument AGAINST the active school of thought that taking a first round quarterback is folly because so many other non-first round guys end up doing well. Personally, I'm not so sure you should be biased either way in your draft strategy, but it seems like most fans definitely are biased one way or the other.
In all seriousness, you should do a formal paper (with an abstract and everything) on this topic, and mail it to Randy Mueller. He has said on the record that he doesn't like drafting QB's in the first round. Perhaps a formal paper could convince him otherwise.

kastofsna120 said:
100% of all punters drafted in the first round have played in super bowls
Ok wise a$$. Are you Dan Le Batard or something?

chirkware said:
CK...Check your math here. 20-15 and 18-25 gives 38 superbowl victors, and 40 losers.
Maybe since Buffalo went four times and lost all four that some of the losses count double. :D

LostInPatsLand said:
Ok wise a$$. Are you Dan Le Batard or something?
yawn

parrot said there probably aren't any other positions with more than 50% of the first rounders have played in SBs. i said punters have. and 50% of kickers have, too

kastofsna120 said:
yawn

parrot said there probably aren't any other positions with more than 50% of the first rounders have played in SBs. i said punters have. and 50% of kickers have, too
ok, who?

the punter was ray guy for the raiders. best punter of all time

sebastian janikowski was in super bowl XXXVII

kastofsna120 said:
the punter was ray guy for the raiders. best punter of all time

sebastian janikowski was in super bowl XXXVII
Good point.

I personally believe the reason QBs tend to be in the middle of the "1st Round" debate is more influenced by the importance of the position.

A QB handles the ball on every play. No other offensive SKILL player has that much impact upon the game. Moreso, as a result of a QB's interaction with the ball, he enables all other offensive skill players. Thus, his skills are more than self-serving.

As a result of this responsibility and impact, organizations commit more resources to the QB position than any other. While some may lobby all 1st round draftees receive a large amount of resources, the QB is an enabler and image of the team's offense. WR's, TE's and RB's can possess large images in the fanbase, but the QB enables that image.

With so much importance placed on a 1st round pick and the QB position, it also becomes a good measuring stick of a team's ability (as an organization) to pick, manage and produce a winning product. As, even in today's market, the QB is still the face of the organization.

ray guy deserved it. janikowski? probably not

the other kicker drafted in the first round was by the saints (forgot his name) sometime in the 70s. he never did anything in the league, and is one of the worst draft picks of all time

Back
Top Bottom