Article on future Dolphin Shaun Alexander | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on future Dolphin Shaun Alexander

future Dolphin? That's a little anticipatory. What we really need is an O-Line like Denver's. They keep churning out 1000yd backs that end up mediocre elsewhere. If we can build up a line like that, we won't need expensive backs.

the 2 names being tossed around by fin fans are alexander and edge. but put your money on the darkhorse candidate lamont jordan. much more cap friendly and would already be a starter for the exception of being behind a hall of famer in martin.

yah we need to forget signing alexander or edge to a blockbuster deal cuz it's not whats best for the team....it won't happen.
We need an O-line to block for the guys we have first. Those 2 guys play behind better then good lines... we have a horrible one.
Besides Ricky has more talent and ability then both those guys and he's cheaper. Risky, but cheap.. And Im willing to take that risk with Gordon/Morris/Minor/Henry waiting for time...

AirChambers84 said:
yah we need to forget signing alexander or edge to a blockbuster deal cuz it's not whats best for the team....it won't happen.
We need an O-line to block for the guys we have first. Those 2 guys play behind better then good lines... we have a horrible one.
Besides Ricky has more talent and ability then both those guys and he's cheaper. Risky, but cheap.. And Im willing to take that risk with Gordon/Morris/Minor/Henry waiting for time...

If we had Ricky and a Bronco-like O-Line, we'd have 2000yds rushing every season. I think we're ok at RB with or without Ricky. O-Line is the major problem for Miami.

I think we should just take Ricky back if he's going to be committed (which he will be if he does decide to comeback because he won't comeback half a$$ and make a fool of himself)!

NaboCane[color=navy said:
Some background on a guy that a lot of people here (including me) think would be an excellent addition to the Phins next season.[/color]

Be warned that this is NOT a hardcore football article, so view it with that in mind.
Why does everyone want Miami to pay top dollar for a RB that will have played their best football with other teams, RBs that are basically used up in NFL terms of age?

We take Edgerrin James if we can get him, PERIOD.
I said "if" we can get him and by that I mean if he can come to Miami for what he is worth, we take him. He's not going to get paid like Portis is he comes here and if he can accept that then we get him.
He is the best back we can get by FAR. I'm not a Colts fan, I'm a Dolphins fan who watches the Colts play every week because my bro (not me) owns the Sunday Ticket.
Edge is better than Alexander, he is better than Jordan, he is better than Ricky, he is better than everyone who isn't Ladanian Tomlinson. Is all around game without the ball is second to none.
Like I said, if we can get Edge, we take him. We don't sell our future for him, but we find a way if there is a way to be found.

Halifax said:
We take Edgerrin James if we can get him, PERIOD.
I said "if" we can get him and by that I mean if he can come to Miami for what he is worth, we take him. He's not going to get paid like Portis is he comes here and if he can accept that then we get him.
He is the best back we can get by FAR. I'm not a Colts fan, I'm a Dolphins fan who watches the Colts play every week because my bro (not me) owns the Sunday Ticket.
Edge is better than Alexander, he is better than Jordan, he is better than Ricky, he is better than everyone who isn't Ladanian Tomlinson. Is all around game without the ball is second to none.
Like I said, if we can get Edge, we take him. We don't sell our future for him, but we find a way if there is a way to be found.

Halifax, I know why I prefer Alexander, but I'm curious why you think Edge is better?

NaboCane said:
Halifax, I know why I prefer Alexander, but I'm curious why you think Edge is better?
Why is Edge better?
First off, I'm not meaning to sound arogent, but Edge IS better, I just don't THINK he is. I have no particular reason to choose one over the other for any other reasons other than football reasons.
Ok here's the deal.
I watch every game that Edge plays, as my brother's team is Indy and he pays for the sunday ticket and he owns the big screen. Along with that, I doubt very highly that you watch all of Seattle's games. If you were to (as I assume you do) check the stats as you are watching your game, there are lots of reasons to assume Alexander is the better back. But, watching the games personally a few things would stick out to you. I'll list them
1. Edge is the best blocker in the league amoung running backs.
2. He is a superb passing option, maybe tied for second with Holmes behind LT.
3. He is much more agile than Alexander and has that coveted ability to cutback on his own cutback if that makes sense. (a la Barry Sanders)
4. He gets the "edge" in intelligence largly because he plays with Manning and some must have rubbed off.
5. He is younger than Alexander
6. He doesn't have the fumbling history that Alexander has.
7. He see's the feild better and is able to get his blockers out in front of him 8. He can hit the gaps with power like few can, yet he can also hit the corner and bust it that way.
9. Edge runs behind a pass blocking o-line and doesn't have the run blocking monsters that Seattle has.

In fact, the only advantage for Alexander MIGHT be break away speed but even that is a question mark.

In all, I would be the happiest Dolphan around if we got Alexander for next season. If we cannot get Edge which is a very real possibility, we could have a great shot at alexander, because they are most likely going to Franchise Waltor Jones again.
If they do franchise alexander, then the Dolphins have to persue Jones at all costs.

Halifax said:
Why is Edge better?
First off, I'm not meaning to sound arogent, but Edge IS better, I just don't THINK he is. I have no particular reason to choose one over the other for any other reasons other than football reasons.
Ok here's the deal.
I watch every game that Edge plays, as my brother's team is Indy and he pays for the sunday ticket and he owns the big screen. Along with that, I doubt very highly that you watch all of Seattle's games. If you were to (as I assume you do) check the stats as you are watching your game, there are lots of reasons to assume Alexander is the better back. But, watching the games personally a few things would stick out to you. I'll list them
1. Edge is the best blocker in the league amoung running backs.
2. He is a superb passing option, maybe tied for second with Holmes behind LT.
3. He is much more agile than Alexander and has that coveted ability to cutback on his own cutback if that makes sense. (a la Barry Sanders)
4. He gets the "edge" in intelligence largly because he plays with Manning and some must have rubbed off.
5. He is younger than Alexander
6. He doesn't have the fumbling history that Alexander has.
7. He see's the feild better and is able to get his blockers out in front of him 8. He can hit the gaps with power like few can, yet he can also hit the corner and bust it that way.
9. Edge runs behind a pass blocking o-line and doesn't have the run blocking monsters that Seattle has.

In fact, the only advantage for Alexander MIGHT be break away speed but even that is a question mark.

In all, I would be the happiest Dolphan around if we got Alexander for next season. If we cannot get Edge which is a very real possibility, we could have a great shot at alexander, because they are most likely going to Franchise Waltor Jones again.
If they do franchise alexander, then the Dolphins have to persue Jones at all costs.

Good points, thanks for taking the time. I don't agree with all that you wrote, but rather than deconstruct a fine post I'll let it stand.

Thanks again.

Predaphin said:
yea, for how long and what are the numbers on his contract?

:lol:
two words...Salary Cap. Better get creative if you think you guys can fit SA under your cap...that or purge more defenders...

guysss guyssss we dont need edge that his kness will ffall off and we dont need shaun thats 30 and has 2 3 years left. we need carnell williams and miami haas to trade the pick to get lower and sign a few o linemen and draft and o line man and feeley will be ok. fins will finish 10-6 nad dont 4 get trade ricky.

The real question is would either Edge or Shaun Alexander want to play behind our line? We would have to be offering more than teams with good lines. But that also brings up the question of, does a good running back make the line better than it is or does a good line make the back better?

Back
Top Bottom