Article on future Dolphin Shaun Alexander | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on future Dolphin Shaun Alexander

dominizzo said:
guysss guyssss we dont need edge that his kness will ffall off and we dont need shaun thats 30 and has 2 3 years left. we need carnell williams and miami haas to trade the pick to get lower and sign a few o linemen and draft and o line man and feeley will be ok. fins will finish 10-6 nad dont 4 get trade ricky.

Didn't even read the article, did you...which was what the whole thread was about; he's 27.

And this from Zach:
"He's the best in the league," Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas says.

Edge in my opinion would be a waste of money and it wouldnt be cap friendly. With the year that he is having he is going to ask for a big contract no matter what. He doesnt convince me when he runs. He runs behind a great Oline so you have to take that in too account. He is slower than when he came in to the league, plus he is injury prone. I think hes an OK back that needs to have a strong support cast around him. He is not a back that the team can build around on which is what the Dolphins will probably need. The Dolphins will need a back that can carry the load when his number is called. Thats why I say we should stick with Ricky, there is no back in the league right now that is of the caliber of Ricky. And I am talking about Ricky the Player not the Person. Ricky is the back that can pound it in on short goaline stances and he also has break away speed to get away from defenders to break for long routes. We really need to go with what is cap friendly because thats going to be our own foot that we shoot if we dont handle it right. Right now Ricky is the best option. I dont even want to talk about Shaun, hes just a waste all around.

Manning Sux said:
Edge in my opinion would be a waste of money and it wouldnt be cap friendly. With the year that he is having he is going to ask for a big contract no matter what. He doesnt convince me when he runs. He runs behind a great Oline so you have to take that in too account. He is slower than when he came in to the league, plus he is injury prone. I think hes an OK back that needs to have a strong support cast around him. He is not a back that the team can build around on which is what the Dolphins will probably need. The Dolphins will need a back that can carry the load when his number is called. Thats why I say we should stick with Ricky, there is no back in the league right now that is of the caliber of Ricky. And I am talking about Ricky the Player not the Person. Ricky is the back that can pound it in on short goaline stances and he also has break away speed to get away from defenders to break for long routes. We really need to go with what is cap friendly because thats going to be our own foot that we shoot if we dont handle it right. Right now Ricky is the best option. I dont even want to talk about Shaun, hes just a waste all around.

So; Shaun Alexander, who is an upstanding citizen and a great back - who spent the offseason dedicated to his craft, working with a speed coach to improve his game - who leads the league in rushing - that Shaun Alexander is, according to you, "a waste."

But Ricky Williams, a professed pothead who quit on his teammates and coaches a week before the season - who has done everything to make his sycophant fans understand that he wants nothing to do with football again - who is 25 pounds under his playing weight - that same Ricky Williams who acts more like a sociopath than someone with a social anxiety disorder, he's the one you tout as having no equal in the league...

How IS the air on the Bizarro planet?

NaboCane said:
So; Shaun Alexander, who is an upstanding citizen and a great back - who spent the offseason dedicated to his craft, working with a speed coach to improve his game - who leads the league in rushing - that Shaun Alexander is, according to you, "a waste."

But Ricky Williams, a professed pothead who quit on his teammates and coaches a week before the season - who has done everything to make his sycophant fans understand that he wants nothing to do with football again - who is 25 pounds under his playing weight - that same Ricky Williams who acts more like a sociopath than someone with a social anxiety disorder, he's the one you tout as having no equal in the league...

How IS the air on the Bizarro planet?
I could give a rats @ss about what they do in the offseason or who they train with. What matters is who is it that shows up to play. I am talking about Ricky and Shaun the players. Ricky by far outweighs him. Shaun wishes he could be half the back that Ricky was. Dont get blinded by him being a good citizen and all this crap. He is 30 years old and a 30 year old back in the NFL is a wasting back. He is going to want too much money to come here, plus he runs to fancy. He is not what Miami needs. We have too many holes to plug up and we dont need to waste the money on soon to be wasted back. Cap Friendly is going to be what were going to have to look for bottom line. We have to find an even median. Thats why I say Ricky is the best option out there.

Manning Sux said:
I could give a rats @ss about what they do in the offseason or who they train with. What matters is who is it that shows up to play. I am talking about Ricky and Shaun the players. Ricky by far outweighs him. Shaun wishes he could be half the back that Ricky was. Dont get blinded by him being a good citizen and all this crap. He is 30 years old and a 30 year old back in the NFL is a wasting back. He is going to want too much money to come here, plus he runs to fancy. He is not what Miami needs. We have too many holes to plug up and we dont need to waste the money on soon to be wasted back. Cap Friendly is going to be what were going to have to look for bottom line. We have to find an even median. Thats why I say Ricky is the best option out there.

Umm. Who shows up to play? Does he not lead the NFL in rushing?

Actually, right now Ricky is sitting at like 210 or something... he underweighs Alexander.

Half the back Ricky was? If you meant to say "was," then you're closer to right, but still wrong. Shaun has been productive year after year. Ricky had a couple of good years, but he quit in his prime and has not shown the longevity that Alexander has. Shaun's had like 16TDs a year for a while now.

Best option out there? He hasn't trained. He's not in football shape. He's a quitter. He's a pothead. He's a locker room cancer right now. He uses the media to make statements instead of going to the people that matter. He's demanding more money. He quit when we needed him most. He didn't even tell Dave he quit; Dave had to find out from the media. He's a social and publicity nightmare. He has taken shots at his teammates, the NFL, and the coaches.

Trust me, it hurts me to say it, but I'd take Shaun Alexander over Ricky Williams in an INSTANT.

Manning Sux said:

Oh, well, as long as you can make a cogent argument to back up your confident assertions.

infiltrateib said:
Umm. Who shows up to play? Does he not lead the NFL in rushing?

Actually, right now Ricky is sitting at like 210 or something... he underweighs Alexander.

Half the back Ricky was? If you meant to say "was," then you're closer to right, but still wrong. Shaun has been productive year after year. Ricky had a couple of good years, but he quit in his prime and has not shown the longevity that Alexander has. Shaun's had like 16TDs a year for a while now.

Best option out there? He hasn't trained. He's not in football shape. He's a quitter. He's a pothead. He's a locker room cancer right now. He uses the media to make statements instead of going to the people that matter. He's demanding more money. He quit when we needed him most. He didn't even tell Dave he quit; Dave had to find out from the media. He's a social and publicity nightmare. He has taken shots at his teammates, the NFL, and the coaches.

Trust me, it hurts me to say it, but I'd take Shaun Alexander over Ricky Williams in an INSTANT.

The real reason Ricky quit is because he knew we had a more garbage offensive line, Dave was still here and he knew he was gonna get the most carries. Plus once he saw that David Boston got hurt he definately knew that the show was gonna be on him. Who in the hell wants 770 carries in two years. That is Dave at his best. Now with a new head coach, a new offensive philosophy I believe Ricky will be willing to come back. I dont think Ricky wanted to play for Dave and if we had the line that Seattle has Ricky would be the NFL leading rusher, no argue. By the way I believe Edge is the leading rusher now, not Shaun. I know its hard to accept him back but what other options are cap friendly. That is the determining factor, the cap. We cant afford to sign a RB coming off a good season plus have the money to sign a first rounder. We have to gravitate our problems toward the cap. But if you want you can sign Shaun, but when you have no room for nobody else dont say I didnt tell you.

Manning Sux said:
The real reason Ricky quit is because he knew we had a more garbage offensive line, Dave was still here and he knew he was gonna get the most carries. Plus once he saw that David Boston got hurt he definately knew that the show was gonna be on him. Who in the hell wants 770 carries in two years. That is Dave at his best. Now with a new head coach, a new offensive philosophy I believe Ricky will be willing to come back. I dont think Ricky wanted to play for Dave and if we had the line that Seattle has Ricky would be the NFL leading rusher, no argue. By the way I believe Edge is the leading rusher now, not Shaun. I know its hard to accept him back but what other options are cap friendly. That is the determining factor, the cap. We cant afford to sign a RB coming off a good season plus have the money to sign a first rounder. We have to gravitate our problems toward the cap. But if you want you can sign Shaun, but when you have no room for nobody else dont say I didnt tell you.

You're right on Edge, I think, Shaun WAS the leading rusher before he went up against us...

I agree with you on the cap-friendly point, and you're making more rational arguments here, but it's still tough to say Ricky should be back. He's a quitter, there's a rift between him and the team, he's not in football shape, etc. etc.

By the way, I never said sign Alexander. If he wants too much money, let him go elsewhere. We need a better OL before we let another Pro Bowl back get his butt handed to him behind "The Disastrous Five." I think a good OL will make Gordon adequate. We don't necessarily need to break the bank.

Manning Sux said:

I'm sick of this f*****g argument from the RW apologists: Let's say that you're 100% correct, and that RW only quit because of DW; why then hasn't he re-dedicated himself to the game, cleaned up his act, and gotten on board with the league's drug program, to pave the way for his return?

No, instead he goes to hippy school and plays games with the d**k-sucking press about his continued pot use, so that he can stay in the news without actually accomplishing anything.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: you people who support RW's return to the Dolphins make me sick. You're far lower than he is.

You should have to wash your mouth out every time you even say Shaun Alexander's name.

NaboCane said:
I'm sick of this f*****g argument from the RW apologists: Let's say that you're 100% correct, and that RW only quit because of DW; why then hasn't he re-dedicated himself to the game, cleaned up his act, and gotten on board with the league's drug program, to pave the way for his return?

No, instead he goes to hippy school and plays games with the d**k-sucking press about his continued pot use, so that he can stay in the news without actually accomplishing anything.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: you people who support RW's return to the Dolphins make me sick. You're far lower than he is.

You should have to wash your mouth out every time you even say Shaun Alexander's name.

cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
And what the hell you think Ricky is doing now. Its not like he can just say the magic words and poof hes back in the NFL. Remember he retired so he has to wait a year before he can come back and I believe his four game suspension starts next week. We can get more years out of Ricky than Shaun. Shaun has about tops two years left. I think Ricky will be cap friendly and will be a better back then Shaun would be. Remember Shaun is running behind a great OL, dont let that blind you. What happens when he comes here, if he comes here. As I said before there are too many holes too plug up for us to be wasting our money on an aging back. We have to fix our core first then we go ahead and assess our support. Its not like Shaun is going to bring instant salvation to our team anyway.

NaboCane said:
You have no clue what Ricky has been up to, what he looks like (aside from a random headshot taken by someone), and what his mindset is. Personally I think if he could get out of it without paying the phins anything back he would quit again. But again none of us know anything.

NaboCane said:

Actually we have heard nothing from Ricky, only from his agent and lawyer. For all we know they may not even be in contact with him. Although quite frankly his lifestyle does interest me, and probably is of great interest to most fans, hence the continuing coverage.

But by all means go on with your baseless accusations and moral preaching. Its a great read.

Just an aside for NaboCane. If Alexander was found to have repeatedly smoked pot, would he go from being an upstanding citizen to a hippy drug addict? With the amount of pain these atheletes go through, I wouldnt be suprised at all if the marjuana useage rate was far higher than most think.

Theres a book called The Dark Side of the NFL. It talks about all the drugs these athletes use on a daily basis to make themselves better plus it also talks about how they use doctors to filter out there urine, inject it back into their bladder so that they can pass the urine test. Believe me there are no naturals in the NFL. They are all on some kind of drug. Ricky just happen to get caught. Shaun hasnt.

Caldolfan said:
The real question is would either Edge or Shaun Alexander want to play behind our line? We would have to be offering more than teams with good lines. But that also brings up the question of, does a good running back make the line better than it is or does a good line make the back better?
A GREAT running back makes a mediocre line look good ,a horrible line (like ours) makes a good running back look like hes in a wheel chair!

Twit patrol, don't bother; I'm interested in informed discourse, not in indulging your xbox-addled perceptions. You're ignored.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...665_hawk28.html

Alexander returned from training camp a different person, the burden of business lifted from his broad shoulders, free to run like he never ran before. The Seahawks returned from camp a different team  their star running back preaching the company motto, practicing harder, breaking down the walls.
"He was completely different," Valerie says. "Even in our conversations about football, there wasn't as much of a burden there. He could say, 'Some people might not like me, but I've done everything I could do to make it better.' Shaun is one of those people who doesn't know he's doing anything wrong. He showed them the guy he really is, instead of this image of him being selfish."

Those of you that would care to, I invite you to read the linked article; it is the point of this thread, and it describes a person who seems like a breath of fresh air in today's sports world.

Back
Top Bottom