Article on Vick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article on Vick

Nice article, but i'm gonna take it day by day with this kid. If he gets through these next 5 weeks without incident and gets back to Davie without showing up on the Police Blotter, i'll consider that a victory and progress and then we can go from there as far as his football future. I don't mean to be negative, but, Cecil Collins is still too fresh in my mind.

fishfan34 said:
Nice article, but i'm gonna take it day by day with this kid. If he gets through these next 5 weeks without incident and gets back to Davie without showing up on the Police Blotter, i'll consider that a victory and progress and then we can go from there as far as his football future. I don't mean to be negative, but, Cecil Collins is still too fresh in my mind.

Damn Collins was a tough runner, he would never hesitate and he hit the holes hard and quick, too bad he just didnt have the brains to stay out of trouble.

If Vick continues to develop, he could be a hell of a playmaker for us one day. I see him as being the kind of guy that can turn a game on his own, and I really do believe he has the support to stay out of trouble from now on

Yeah I remeber when Jimmy Johnson touted Collins as having greater potential than Emmitt Smith! And then later JJ describes Collins as "having the mind of a 15 year old". Emmitt Smith is like Einstein compared to Collins and Cecil breaking into...well I don't have to mention what we all know happened but I thought JJ was speaking atleast a little figuratively when he said he had the mind of a 15 year old. Because JJ exaggerated everything about Collins but he underestimated Cecil's mentality; I'd say he has the mind of a "special needs" student. No offense to those kids, most don't try to sexually assault women like 'ol Cecil.
I remember a game where after a play they showed Cecil make a comment to Marino and the look on Marino's face was like "sure Cecil. Your ignorance is astounding and you just confused the hell out of me." It was priceless. Too bad Cecil is a part of our Dolphins' history. Particularly the JJ era where everyone he brought in had a rapt sheet from Collins to Lawrence Phillips to Tony Martin's close call and several WRs, one of whom just got out of the penitentiary; Robert Baker I think was his name. (I may be wrong)
JJ brought his philosophy that won him titles in Dallas, of bringing in players who everyone knew had shady lifestyles with the exception being the players in Dallas could play great football, like Irvin, Lett, and guard Nate Newton who did probably one of the stupidest things a millionaire could do: traffick hundreds of pounds of marijuana, get caught, get out on bail and pick up where he left off and get busted with a few more hundreds of pounds of weed in less than a week! And on a more tragic note, LT Mark Tuinei who OD'd on heroin and ecstasy and died.
So now to the topic of Vick; I hope he cleans his life up and with the help of Saban and his staff become an explosive returner, develop into a good slot receiver and make the final roster. I'm sure Mularkey could come up with some good packages with an athlete like Vick who could run some great trick plays at QB and be excellent on reverses or end-arounds. So here's to Vick leaving behind his old lifestyle and bad attitude and becoming the quality player (and person) some think he can be. If anyone can do it I trust a person like Nick Saban to bring out the good in Marcus on and off the field.

Its one thing being able to shift positions to fill holes as injuries occur, and yet another to legitimately step into those voids, with a high calibur of play.
Nick has already acknowledged the disadvantage it's presents, in not only competing against a talented group of fast recievers, vying for a limited number of spots, but in grasping the positional change from QB, while still taking snaps behind center, and fielding punts.
Imo, if Vick can consistency make plays exhibiting such versatility, he'll solidify his own place on the roster, despite the competition at any specific position.

Back
Top Bottom