As Nfl Teams Hire One Type Of Coach, Miami Dolphins Search Goes In Different Direction | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As Nfl Teams Hire One Type Of Coach, Miami Dolphins Search Goes In Different Direction

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
FINS0101ROSS1CTJ.JPG

There’s an NFL trend that’s evident in how teams with coaching vacancies are filling those jobs this cycle. A hint: It’s all about offense.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers filled their opening Tuesday by hiring Bruce Arians — a proven and accomplished offense-minded coach.
The Arizona Cardinals filled their opening Tuesday by hiring Kliff Kingsbury — who made the improbable climb from getting fired at Texas Tech to getting the USC offensive coordinator job to the NFL. However you want to judge this, and I’m not a fan, Kingsbury is an offense-minded coach.
The Green Bay Packers also filled their opening by hiring Matt LaFleur — who was the offensive coordinator at Tennessee last season and has previously been the OC for the Los Angeles Rams, and the quarterback coach for the Washington Redskins and Atlanta Falcons. Obviously, he’s an offense-minded coach.
That’s not all.
The Cleveland Browns reportedly hired their own offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Freddie Kitchens. Again, an offense-minded coach.
Do you see a pattern here?

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article224115095.html

I'm not against hiring a defensive guy if he's the best guy. It's just that IMHO, the best defensive guys available weren't interviewed. The "best" was clearly Vic Fangio, and we requested permission to interview him and then never scheduled it. I can only guess he wasn't interested in us, so we let that one die on the vine … fair enough.

But Wink Martindale in Baltimore was likely not interviewed because we were pursuing his boss, John Harbaugh, who isn't going to be leaving Baltimore. As Ross cultivates his relationship with the Harbaughs, who only ever use us for leverage for other teams (including using us to get the Michigan job for Jim), I think it was a mistake not to interview Martindale. Likewise, Eberflus at Indianapolis has an average defensive roster playing at a high level, and he seems like another guy we should have been interviewing, but chose not to interview. Nothing against Kris Richard, but it is a lot easier to be a position coach than a coordinator, and that transition itself (position coach to coordinator) is a lot smoother than the one from coordinator to head coach. So, while we all hope Richard is the guy and hope that he proves to be a good hire, it is a much bigger projection than someone like Wink Martindale.

Two things come to mind--tanking and high risk/reward. Let's hope that we get at least one of those two, and have something upon which to build our team next year.

Gase was an Offensive guy in a Manning bull market

I’m for anyone who can find me that franchise QB

Out of the top 8 teams in offensive scoring, 6 are still alive in the playoffs. Only one of those top 8 didn't make the playoffs. There's a reason teams are going with offensive focused hires. Ross and Grier deserve each other.

Ross is our owner so you know he has no actual recipe that he has worked from over the years. this is probably our saddest search with a mediocre list of candidates.
I'm hoping we get lucky with a guy like Richard. Fangio to me was the most deserving of a job but the whole nfl coach hiring system is so full of crap in the first place.
I guess I feel damn good we did not hand Klingsbury a job, so no matter what we did not make the dumbest choice.
we are now in a mode where teams want to hire younger and younger coaches for no apparent reason other than he is a young coach.
The cardinals hired a guy that was 35-40 at friggin Texas Tech so they officially have the dumbest owner in the NFL

Out of the top 8 teams in offensive scoring, 6 are still alive in the playoffs. Only one of those top 8 didn't make the playoffs. There's a reason teams are going with offensive focused hires. Ross and Grier deserve each other.
unfortunately we as fans do not deserve these two guys

I’m personally happy they went against the grain to what the other teams did. Been wanting a defensive minded coach for awhile and hopefully that happens sooner rather than later. People jumping on that McVay train are probably going to be disappointed in a couple years and regret going that direction.

I am a defensive-minded guy by far, but this article does point out a very strong point about the downfall of hiring a defensive-minded head coach in today's NFL. When a defensive-minded head coach hires an OC, and that OC does really well, he will ultimately end up becoming another team's head coach in one or two years, then the process starts over again. It would be crucial to stabilize the offense, especially when we're in the market for a franchise QB. This is a concern to me. A defensive-minded head coach will need to hire a very good OC, and back that up with a up-and-comer as the QB coach.

What are these numbers with respect to top defensive teams?

Sorry that was easier to look up than I thought. Based on points per game, 6 of the top 8 made the playoffs and 3 are still alive. Not too dissimilar if you ask me.

I dont care if the HC is offense minded or defense minded, as long as he brings in a strong staff to keep both sides of the ball competitive.

Our last HC only cared about the offense, and even that sucked.

We need a guy that cares about the ENTIRE team.

Sorry that was easier to look up than I thought. Based on points per game, 6 of the top 8 made the playoffs and 3 are still alive. Not too dissimilar if you ask me.
That was kind of my point. You can have a top defense, it's great and all but if you can't score points it's doesn't matter. The NFL has evolved, the days of top defenses allowing 15 points a game or less are over. There was only one defense that allowed less than 18 points a game, the Bears, they got to the playoffs and their offense sputtered. Offense matters a hell of a lot more than defense in todays NFL.

Well, the top 2 in scoring defense, Chicago and Baltimore, are gone in relatively low scoring games.
Houston was at 5, and is gone.
The Cowboys at 6 are still alive after a win.
The Pats and Chargers come in at 7 & 8, and the Colts are at 10.
All the other playoff teams are/were ranked lower than 10th

Here's a breakdown of rankings for anyone interested. Top 12 instead of Top 10
Scoring Offense.....9 of 12 ranked in top 12
Scoring Defense....7 of 12 ranked in top 12
Total Offense...…...7 of 12 ranked in top 12
Total Defense...…..6 of 12 ranked in top 12
Rushing offense....8 of 12 ranked in top 12
Rushing Defense...9 of 12 ranked in top 12
Pass Offense...…….7 of 12 ranked in top 12
Pass Defense...…...3 of 12 ranked in top 12
Turnover Differential.....8 of 12 ranked in top 12

That was kind of my point. You can have a top defense, it's great and all but if you can't score points it's doesn't matter. The NFL has evolved, the days of top defenses allowing 15 points a game or less are over. There was only one defense that allowed less than 18 points a game, the Bears, they got to the playoffs and their offense sputtered. Offense matters a hell of a lot more than defense in todays NFL.
You could say the Rams and Chiefs are in the playoffs b/c of their offense, that's fair. You definitely have to score, but all the other teams are pretty balanced. Colts, Cowboys, Saints, Chargers, Eagles + the Pats who have the GOATs.

Back
Top Bottom