As Terry Used to Say in the Dolphins Newsgroup, "It's the Offensive Line, Stupid!" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As Terry Used to Say in the Dolphins Newsgroup, "It's the Offensive Line, Stupid!"

Yeah, we need to find out who in the league is excellent at evaluating the OL and, if possible, poach that sucker. Money is no object. Just tell Steve I said it was okay. ;-)

In my defense, FitzMagic can be very good, while FitzTragic makes a few mistakes. He would average out to be decent, and on a strong team could probably make it to the playoffs. When Tua couldn't move the offense, Fitz went in and everyone stepped it up a notch or two. However, Miami never gave Fitz a decent o-line or strong running game to help him. I'm not saying he's the answer; just that he was good enough to run the offense while you draft and groom your future QB.

I stopped caring about this issue at the end of the first quarter against Buffalo.

My posts from the off-season made my position on this roster and my philosophy very clear.

WRs don’t make enough of an impact to warrant selecting them that high. I can find a WR on the waiver wire week 15 that can contribute immediately.

Draft a WR over an OL, said no QB EVER.

This team cannot coach up Offensive Linemen. That’s a fact.

Flo needs a long hard look in the mirror. It’s his responsibility, take the blame.

This team cannot coach up Offensive Linemen. That’s a fact.

Flo needs a long hard look in the mirror. It’s his responsibility, take the blame.
thats true, but these are also highly paid professional athletes. they bear the brunt of the responsibility to perform. the coaching faults are really in the blocking schematics to me. they make it way too difficult on these guys. need to simplify the scheme so there is less thinking out there. of course there will be times where our guys just arent good enough too. thats on the gm. like jesse davis should not be starting at any tackle position. guard, sure, his foot speed deficiencies can be masked. jackson is quickly showing he is a guard too. need to find guys that can mirror natually, move their feet with ease, and throw a hefty punch when required.

Oline played better against the Raiders. Not good enough but, they will improve to a decent Oline by seasons end. Still won't be good enough. We have $60 to $80 million in cap space next offseason. 2nd most in the league. We'll definitely go the vet free agent route in free agency rather, draft a lineman early. I'm predicting a trade out of the first round for another first and more next draft.

How can this team have such a bad Oline for that long? How is this possible? Seriously!

How can this team have such a bad Oline for that long? How is this possible? Seriously!
Philbin wanted a short pass based offense, where the short pass mostly takes the place of the run. So, there was no need for big, strong run-blockers, and in pass protection the linemen shouldn't have to sustain blocks for too long because the ball was supposed to be thrown on a short timing route almost immediately after the snap. This is when the o-line went into the toilet, as even Sparano had a half-decent line most of the time.

Even when Philbin and Gase had 1st round picks added to their o-line, they still weren't dominant. While I never liked Pouncey, James, or Tunsil, I'm sure that they had some talent because on occasion the line was somewhat okay. However, IMO these guys were weak, because they were consistently pushed around and physically dominated by the tough physical d-lines of the Bills, and Jets; whereas Sparano's o-line held its own. And, after reading posts here discussing the o-line, I'm sure that coaching and the blocking schemes they wanted also contributed to the poor play of the line.

Philbin's offensive philosophy didn't place much emphasis on the running game, run-blocking, or the o-line in general. Poor o-line play, even with 1st round picks, then continued under Gase. If you have several 1st round picks on your o-line and yet you struggle trying to convert a 3rd or 4th and short on the ground, can't protect your QB, and your WRs and RBs gain far too many negative yards because they're tackled in the backfield, then there is a MAJOR problem! Evidently, no Coach or GM has been able to see the problem, understand the problem, or fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom