Ask Brett Tessler | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

hey Mr. Tessler,
I am interested in becoming a sports agent as well and I am approaching graduation for Florida State University. I live in South Florida and was wondering if you are offering any internships so that I may get my feet wet.
I look forward to hearing from you and have a good day
Josh Hammel

Wow, he's really anwering all the questions, isn't he?....lol Agents=the worst thing that ever happen to sports!!...loljk, but is close

Ozzy rules!!

Hey everybody, thanks for the warm welcome! I'll be getting around to answering most of your questions. The best way is to ask them here instead of private messaging me because this is where I will be checking in regularly. Thanks again.

zonk39 said:
Brett,

First of all welcome. Thanks for answering our questions. I have two:
1. How would your players feel if you where on TV spewing out gossip and BS every Sunday. I would think players would shy away from telling you real information.
2. How much do you think Wale will end up with, Years, Base , and Bonus.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert,
To answer your first question, I believe it borderlines on conflict for an agent to act as part of the media and comment on his or any other agent's clients in that capacity (not to mention an obvious lack of credibilty). Much of what players or teams share with me is confidential and not to be repeated in a public forum. I would be less concerned about my players not sharing anymore info with me, and more concerned about them finding a new agent. The answer to your second question remains to be seen, but I can assure you it will be a LOT!

Hey Brett, can you give us a general overview of the negotiating process?
Does it work something like this?:
1. Team knowingly offers not enough money.
2. You knowingly ask for too much money.
3. You meet somewhere in the middle.

Muck said:
What kind of rep does Drew have on the agent circuit??

In your experience, which teams are easier, more pleasant to negotiate with?? Which ones are more "difficult"??

Thanks

Some agents respect Drew and some agents don't. He and I have very different personalities and go about our business in very different ways. Nobody can deny how succussful he's become. Sometimes I don't agree with the image he portrays about agents being "sharks" or "the most hated" people in sports. Is this who Drew really is, or is he just trying to be outrageous? Whatever the case may be, he and I see plenty of each other and our interactions have always been civil.

To answer your second question, some teams are much better to deal with than others. I've had players on almost every team in the league and know exactly why certain teams succeed while others fail. I know you want my opinion on the Dolphins so I don't mind telling you that they're one of the teams I enjoy dealing with the most.

Phinsdude said:
Welcome Brett, rare to find another brett, that spells him name with 2 t's. Did you have anyone in the recent draft?
I had five new players wind up on teams in this year's draft. (Seahawks, Colts, Packers, Chiefs, and the Steelers).

xiidaen said:
Welcome aboard, Brett!

It would be interesting to hear how an agent goes about pitching their services to prospects in the league, or in the draft.
I start studying scouting reports of incoming college seniors and follow them throughout their final season. At the appropriate time I get in contact with them and try to set up meetings. From there it gets very competitive with the other agents. I try to sell them on what a great job I've done for my other clients and give them the opportunity to speak with many of them. Over the last couple of years I've started picking up more veteran clients who've had the oportunity to see firsthand the work I've done for some of their teammates.

Hey Brett, is it true that you represent the guy who played Leatherface in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies?? That is kickass!!

Anyone else non-football or otherwise that you represent??

I just have to say that now that Mr. Tessler has started to answer the questions, that this is pretty f-ing cool!

I'm definitely interested in hearing more about how teams (especially the Dolphins) interact with player agents.

Hey Brett, thanks for answering questions here. I just had one quick question. Will you be scouting some UM or FSU seniors this year? If so, who?

I am 16 and I have always been interested in becoming a sports agent. I was wondering what paths you took to become one. What did you major in? What school did you go too? Who was your first client? and so on.

Back
Top Bottom