Ask Brett Tessler | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Brett Tessler

Dajesus said:
Welcome aboard Brett. I think it is very cool that you take time out of what I am sure is very busy time for you to talk to us starving for info obsessed football fans. Look at that usually it is the agents that get the rap for not carring about the game or fans, but just their pay day yet Brett is the first real NFL guy that has taken his time to talk to the fans on what is by far the biggest Dolphin/possibly NFL fan site on the net. You would think a player would do the same every now and again since we are the one that pay their salries. I know OG was on a couple years ago, but seriously I think it would be the least they could do would to have a least one player drop by for 30mins a month.

Anywho...I know you don't want to step on any toes, but you have to feild the question about Rosenhause. How does one guy get such a monoply on 1 team's players, and get away with being so unethical to broadcast his negotians thru any media source he could find?

A question that pertains to you. I have to say I was sorry to see Scott leave. The fire he brought to our special teams was awesome and very needed since we just lost another great special teamer in Izzo. What was that made him want out so bad? Was it just to have a fair chance to compete for some playing time at Safety? I think it was unjust that he never got a chance down here at the S spot. He played with fire and emotion. Alot like Izzo and Pat Tillman. What he lacked in speed and god given ability he more than made up for it in heart.

Thanks and good luck in negotiations.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm very fortunate to be in a business that I enjoy and I'm happy to share my experiences with you. I don't mind answering legitimate questions about most things. In regards to Drew using the media during negotiations; teams and every other agent (myself included) do the exact same thing. I just think you need to be careful not to go too far. As far as McGarrahan's situation with the Dolphins last year, we asked for a trade when it became apparent that there wasn't going to be a final roster spot for him. I spoke extensively to Spielman and Wannstedt who were very accommodating and things ended up great for Scott in Tennessee. He led the Titans in special teams tackles (by far), and was one of their most important players on defense as well.

Hey Brett, welcome aboard. You seem like a nice guy and it is cool to get insight from a side of the business, most of us ( if not all ) know very little about. MY question is this. How does the relationship work between yourself and the player? Meaning, I suppose technically you work for the player, but I imagien when going into negotiations, you are the front line and probably do a lot of number cruncing and passing of figures before presenting something to your client right? Also, how much input do your client's bring to the table? (i.e. where they want to play, for how much and so on and so forth). Have oyu ever had a situation where a player accepted an offer in which you felt you could get more but the player wasn't interested?

jham81 said:
hey Mr. Tessler,
I am interested in becoming a sports agent as well and I am approaching graduation for Florida State University. I live in South Florida and was wondering if you are offering any internships so that I may get my feet wet.
I look forward to hearing from you and have a good day
Josh Hammel
Josh,
Congratulations on getting your degree! Sorry, but I handle everything on my own and have no opportunities for interns. Best of luck.
Brett

:welcome: a-board Brett !!! We really appreciate your unique perspective.

What are you thoughts on the O Gun situtations as it relates to a restricted FA wanting to get paid what an UFA (Kearse) was able to negotiate ?

Welcome? Do you know why Hot Chicks Just don't dig me? My Cousin says I'm hot ;)

Great to have you aboard!

Dolphins Question: Biggest question in the fans mind concerns the OL and the QBs.

1. What are your thoughts concerning our OL in regard to talent and youth?

2. Is AJ Feeley and upgrade to Jay, and what is the general concensus (in the agent world) regarding his ability?

Thanks again,
4D

LIQUID24 said:
Hey Brett, can you give us a general overview of the negotiating process?
Does it work something like this?:
1. Team knowingly offers not enough money.
2. You knowingly ask for too much money.
3. You meet somewhere in the middle.
Yeah, something like that. Unrestricted free-agency is a little different in the way that if a team really wants a guy they need to step up with their best offer or risk losing him to another team.

other than becoming licensed with the NFLPA, what advice do u have for a young proffessional trying to crack into the field. Does a law degree work to my advantage??
being an agent is not the end all be all for me, but ultimately, I want to become involved in sports, either as a player rep or assisitng with the cap and negotiations....
what opportunities may i not be thinking of???
thanks

Brett Tessler said:
Thanks for the kind words. I'm very fortunate to be in a business that I enjoy and I'm happy to share my experiences with you. I don't mind answering legitimate questions about Rosenhaus or most other things. In regards to Drew using the media during negotiations, teams and every other agent (myself included) do the same exact thing. I just think you need to be careful not to go too far. As far as McGarrahan's situation with the Dolphins last year, we asked for a trade when it became apparent that there wasn't going to be a final roster spot for him. I spoke extensively to Rick and Dave who were very straightforward and things ended up great for Scott in Tennessee. He led the Titans in special teams tackles (by far), and was one of their most important players on defense as well.

Wow I can't beleave the Phins weren't going to give a roster spot. He was a demon is special teams durring his short stint with the Phins. I understand using what toold are available, but like you said there has to be a limit.

I have a follow up question for ya. With Drew many would say he stepped over that limit with O-Gun. He also has a monopoly pretty much on Dolphin players. In your opinon if the negotians to pick up with Walle, could you see the Phins start giving Drew a harder time while working out other Dolphin contracts. My other question is do you see alot of one agent having alot of their clients on one team like Drew has here in Miami?

Thanks again I think this is awesome that you are taking this time.

Brett,
Who were some of your favorite clients that you have had?

Muck said:
Hey Brett, is it true that you represent the guy who played Leatherface in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies?? That is kickass!!

Anyone else non-football or otherwise that you represent??
During my time in the business I've had the opportunity to meet all sorts of different celebrities and entertainers. Me and Gunnar Hansen (Leatherface) met a year ago and hit it off. I've always been a fan of horror movies, so when he and I became friends I was more than happy to help him out. He's the only non-sports client I have right now. In the past I've also worked with Joe Angel who was the lead play-by-play announcer for the Florida Marlins during their first 8 seasons. I don't actively pursue non-football clients, but if an opportunity comes around that I find interesting or challenging, I take it.

Brett,

Great to have you here.

I took a negotiations class last semester with an ex-Sports agent who was involved with the Kellen Winslow from the family lawyer perspective. We got the play by play, real time. I thought it was an interesting twist how Kellen Sr went about the hiring of a Sports Agent and ultimately went against the advice of many in making the final choice.

What are your thoughts on the process?
Were you involved at all?

On a totally different note. I did very well in the class and my teacher said my instincts for negotiations and my love of sports would make me a great sports agent. Unfortunately, looking into it, it would seem that I am over qualified and that the industry looks down on MBAs... the path seems to be to work your way up from the bottom gaining the connections along the way.
One thought I had about cracking in was to start a hedge fund or basic Private Equity fund for professional players with substantial liquid assets. I often hear how players who shouldn't be in financial hardship end up there because of mismanagement of their assets. It would seem that this would be a great option to offer your players as an agent. With up to 40% annual returns their salaries could be that much more and they would be financially secure for life.

All in all, I think bringing more responsibility to the industry is a must. What are your thoughts on this? Are there funds already out there? (I am sure) Is there room for more?

Thanks.

caneproud117 said:
Hey Brett, thanks for answering questions here. I just had one quick question. Will you be scouting some UM or FSU seniors this year? If so, who?
I don't really decide who I'm going to recruit until the start of the college season. As the season winds down I'll come up with my final list. We'll see...

Back
Top Bottom