ASK DAVE: Is the Wildcat dead? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ASK DAVE: Is the Wildcat dead?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Dave: A year ago, we heard a lot about the Wildcat. We don't hear anything right now.. Is it done with? -- Marcus, West Palm Beach.

The question boils down to whether you to take Brandon Marshall out of play. And I think it's pretty obvious that you don't. To keep him a prime weapon, you need Chad Henne on the field and that means that the Wildcat probably will be severely scaled back this year and perhaps eliminated. We'll have to see how it plays out in training camp -- and if Pat White has put on 20 pounds and developed into the running/passing hybrid that was hoped out a year ago when all of us were talking up the Wildcat. But I think the Wildcat has seen its most useful days.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...aveHyde-blog+(Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

I don't think it is dead ... completely.

At the beginning of last year with Ronnie, it was as hot as ever. Better production than in 08, but Ronnie went down and while I love Ricky, he is not that same type of back as RB in that formation.

I will be interested to see if we can put Marshall into the mix seeing how he is an effective run blocker and how exactly will the defense account for him in the Wildcat.

I remember the Jets stacking 9 in the box the second game, and that was pretty effective, but can you do that with Marshall lined up as well? Maybe the Jets can since they have Revis, but I like our chances a whole lot against just about anybody.

I like the Wildcat in short yardage situations still...

Also when Marshall needs a breather we could certainley run it as well...

As long as we are winning and its working keep using it...

use it if it's working, scrap it if it's not. do this on a game by game basis. no need to kill it completely, its still a weapon

As long as the Wildcat continuees to be successful, it isn't going anywhere....the real key is Ronnie Brown, you can take Pat White out of the equation.

It's a great weapon to have on hand, and it was extremely successful in the redzone

It was successful, for the most part, in the red zone but too many times last season were we on nice drives only to change up for no apparent reason and bring out the wildcat. There were way too many occasions where they set Henne up to fail last year by running the wildcat twice and putting Henne back out there to see if he could convert 3rd and 6 or longer. It's hard to get in a rhythm as a QB when you're constantly being pulled out and put back in during the game not to mention the number of times Henning would pull Henne out when the kid was getting hot just to run the wildcat or the pistol with Pat White. It was frustrating to watch.

I will be interested to see if we can put Marshall into the mix seeing how he is an effective run blocker and how exactly will the defense account for him in the Wildcat.

Yes...this...

I think we should use it strictly as a red zone tool to get in the endzone with Ronnnie.

Simply put, no. It will still be used on goalline situations imo. It will still be used, just not as much.

it wil be used if for only the fact that it forces opponents to spend time game-planning against it

Back
Top Bottom