Assembling The 53: Not Much Room for Variance | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assembling The 53: Not Much Room for Variance

Great post. Love the analysis. I agree on Gates, but this may be his last shot. The Dolphins are sure to draft a wide receiver high next year IMO. I also agree the linebacking unit needs some major changes. This is clearly a team in transition when you look at maybe three wide receivers who probably wouldn't make another team in the NFL. I think the scheme will help some, but you've got to have players.

Great OP, but I have to disagree on a few small points.
1. You can't keep Gates to stretch the field if he isn't good enough to put on the field regularly. And we all know he isn't. So Gates is a lock to make the PS IMO and has less than 10% to make the final 53.
2. We are in the collecting talent mode right now as a team and I see Hogan and Mathews as having much more talent than Moore at WR. So since none of those 3 are going to be seeing the field much unless one of them step up their game a significant amount, and Moore just doesn't have much "step up" left in his game, I see Hogan and Mathews making it over Gates and Moore. Again Gates is NOT making the 53, no way no how.
3. Jerry is interesting, and has the potential to be our 2nd best OLman. He is getting in better shape and played lights out the last game. It will surprise me if he isn't the opening day starter. But then again he doesn't fit the smaller atheletic OLman that we are now trying to use. Of all the players that we might cut, Jerry would absolutely be the first one picked up by other teams. For a team needing large road grader types he has serious value, so instead of cutting him, there is a possibility a team would be willing to give us something for him rather than trying to pick him up in case we cut him. I can see him being our starter, backup, traded, or even a slight possiblity of him being cut. I personally think we keep him and he starts, but none of those options would surprise me.
4. I also think Anderson Russell makes the 53, he plays great in the box and has solid instincts in coverage. I think they make room for him.

Do you see them putting Hartline on IR so they can keep one at least one of Matthews/Hogan/Cunningham from getting poached off the practice squad? I love watching hard knocks but I think it's going to be hard to hide good talent there this season because of it.

It's such a crazy sitch with our WRs. I hate to lose any of them yet there might be less than 3 that would play for most NFL teams. They're just so ridiculously bunched up. Our starters do poorly against other teams' starting Ds, yet our 'backups' can make plays all day against other teams' backup D players. I'd like to see the 'Phins do a wholesale switch this week on who starts and who plays in the 2nd half. Let's see Matthews, Fuller, Gates be the first 3 in the game and see what happens for a couple possessions. If these guys look like toddlers against the starting D, then we'll really know what's up, but if they're getting open and making plays as well or better than the guys like Nanee or Wallace, then let's flip the rotation. Oh yeah, almost forgot about Hogan. I REALLY wanna see that guy on the field from play #1. Put him against the other team's best CB and see if the illusion disappears. Maybe it won't. Maybe it's not an illusion.

Now that was worth reading............thank's GM.

Wonderful post - much appreciated! Great insight into how better players are let go than the lucky ones who survive because they have a key strength.

Fascinating. Now you've seen what the Dolphins have done with their 53, what are you thoughts?

Fascinating. Now you've seen what the Dolphins have done with their 53, what are you thoughts?

Matthews definately deserves to have made it.He has definately been the most consistent behind Bess. I would give him more chances at kick and punt returns though, from what i saw he did great when he was in there. Maybe also he should be able to change his number back to 85 or any other number that is not taken as he seems to have got stuck with 86. IDK maybe he is happy with it. Only other one that i would get rid of is Nanee, he has shown his ceiling, time to give the younger guys a shot.

Matthews definately deserves to have made it.He has definately been the most consistent behind Bess. I would give him more chances at kick and punt returns though, from what i saw he did great when he was in there. Maybe also he should be able to change his number back to 85 or any other number that is not taken as he seems to have got stuck with 86. IDK maybe he is happy with it. Only other one that i would get rid of is Nanee, he has shown his ceiling, time to give the younger guys a shot.
nothing wrong with 86.

Back
Top Bottom