Assistant Coaches...Keith Armstrong, Tony Wise, Mel Phillips? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assistant Coaches...Keith Armstrong, Tony Wise, Mel Phillips?

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys think any of these guys should be fired?

Robert Ford and Mel Phillips been here forever, but with the guys we've got in the secondary how are we 20th in the league in passing defense?

As for Armstrong and Wise, I had a huge long thing written out and I lost it.

Bottom line is Boudreau was a good line coach in Detroit getting Barry 2000+ yards, he's a good line coach now helping Stephen Davis run all over the place. Wise got here, we had some success in 2002 but I felt it was overrated success, Ricky did a lot of that damage and our offense was limited to short steps a lot to cover our aweful pass protection (look at our #1 priority, to get Wayne Gandy or one of the first round LTs) Our OLs have been downhill since Wise arrived. They played just about the worst that i can remember our OLs playing this season.

And on top of that our STs were the worst I can remember in a long while. Westhoff had great units here, and turned NYJ's special teams into pretty good. Now, our STs are going downhill. Not absolutely terrible, but we're use to a high standard.

If we get an outside or even inside GM, I hope that priority #1 is to get assistants who are the best for the job. No more of this Wise-Turner-Wannstedt-Bates quartet working the same magic they did in Dallas. Overrated. We need the best men for the job and I do not think that means Keith Armstrong or Tony Wise. Jim Bates might be able to stay...

I agree Ck.

Watching how our DBs deteriotated after what used to be our strongest postions on D really gets me(with the exception of Surtain and T-Buck occationally). Mel Phillips is a respected assistant coach, but after this year I dont know if its him or Jim Bates(or Madison!).

Robert Ford I dont know about. Our WRs are ok but its really just getting the right ones on our team.

Armstrong and Wise I keep stressing that they need to get out of Miami.

I agree on Armstrong...I do see our st getting worst under him..we had speed as a returner this year, but the scheme never got them free. That's the coach..I felt rogers, simmons, and minor could break one if the schemes would give them a lane..but it never happened..Wise, as far as I'm concern the jury's still out on him..
Bates,,,My only knock on him, is his blitz schemes, they're aweful, very easy to pick up..but other than that, the D wasn't that bad and that's a lot for me to say, since I started the year on their butts.

This year I saw more variety in our D than I can remember in a long time and it seemed to work. I felt Bates did a good job but then again our D did break down against the Eagles and Titans pretty bad.

Still our D was producing sacks and turnovers, three and outs, big plays, and tended to come through at just the right moment. Once again you can lay losses at the feet of our O way more than the D. I was for the most part very happy with the D this season.

But I still gotta wonder whats up with shut-down Sam Madison...is he not bein used right? He's too young to just plain be washed up and I can't remember any injuries that would hurt him so bad. Brock keeps goin to pro bowls, Surtain too, still got Madison there, and yet we're deteriorating in the pass D...why? We're gettin sacks and pressures. The answer could be a weakness in the short game. Zach is no longer a good pass defender, whereas it use to be a strength....perhaps he's being used in different (presumably wrong) ways now...

The short pass defense suffers because the team decided to decrease the speed and coverage ability of the linebacking corps and the strong safety.

As far as the 20th pass defense goes, it's a misnomer. Most of the passing yards against the Dolphins are of the dink and dunk variety because they play quarters coverage ALL THE TIME.

Maybe Wanny has some more friends to hire.

Eddie Moore was supposedly the best coverage LB in teh draft last year. Maybe he'll be the nickel and dime backer next year.

Does anyone know if the GM has the power to fire assistant coaches? I had kinda thought it was the HC who assembled his staff like in basketball.

FYI - Paul Boudreau is coaching Jacksonville's OL now. But he did build up that Carolina line into one of the best in the league. They immediately became maulers when he arrived in 2001. And our line immediately fell off in 2001.

Another move that hurt was letting go of Kevin Donnalley in favor of Todd Perry in 2001. Donnalley spent most of 2001 on IR. But he's come back strong the last two years. Any coincidence that Todd Wade's production fell off as soon as Donnalley left??

Definite regression from Donnalley to Perry at the RG spot. And as soon as Donnalley was let go off, guess who snapped him up?? Yup, Boudreau and Carolina.

Originally posted by Muck
FYI - Paul Boudreau is coaching Jacksonville's OL now. But he did build up that Carolina line into one of the best in the league. They immediately became maulers when he arrived in 2001. And our line immediately fell off in 2001.

Another move that hurt was letting go of Kevin Donnalley in favor of Todd Perry in 2001. Donnalley spent most of 2001 on IR. But he's come back strong the last two years. Any coincidence that Todd Wade's production fell off as soon as Donnalley left??

Definite regression from Donnalley to Perry at the RG spot. And as soon as Donnalley was let go off, guess who snapped him up?? Yup, Boudreau and Carolina.

Youre sooo right Muck, I noticed the same thing. I remember how solid Donnalley was when he was here and how stable the line was with him. After watching how crappy Todd Perry played it made me wonder why we let KD go.:confused:

Age and durability.

Donnalley was 2 years older than Perry. And he had missed some games (even though he played all 18 in 2000). Perry hadn't missed a game in three years (and still hasn't missed one). Plus he was from Chicago. But Perry ended up playing on a bad knee all year (2001). Plus his mother was battling cancer. So both his mind and body weren't in top shape.

I understand what they were trying to do. But they messed up a good thing. They tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Hell, for the first time in 20 years it wasn't broken!!

Special teams was hammered by injuries...

Ed Perry
Eddie Moore
Sam Simmons
Trent Gamble

And Mare struggled to make the game winning field goals.

I really don't see anything special about Westoffs job in Jets land other than Santana Moss.

Tony Wise changed our system to ZONE BLOCKING...very similar to what Denver does. The injuries were deadly and Tony Wise had very little to work with. Seriously.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

If we get an outside or even inside GM, I hope that priority #1 is to get assistants who are the best for the job. No more of this Wise-Turner-Wannstedt-Bates quartet working the same magic they did in Dallas. Overrated. We need the best men for the job and I do not think that means Keith Armstrong or Tony Wise. Jim Bates might be able to stay...

I'm not sure these coaches are or are not over-rated. I want to see our players making the routine play before I jump on that wagon. Todays Jets game was a perfect example. Was it Armstrongs fault Mare missed another FG? Or was it Turner's fault McMicheal almost gave the Jets the game on his tipped INT in the endzone? I also don't buy that coach Wise suddenly got dumb or fell into a poor work ethic. I know you mentioned that you think he's over - rated, but really, he's the luckiest SOB on the planet if he's that bad and had the success he's had over his career.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom