Assistant Coaches...Keith Armstrong, Tony Wise, Mel Phillips? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assistant Coaches...Keith Armstrong, Tony Wise, Mel Phillips?

Originally posted by Muck
FYI - Paul Boudreau is coaching Jacksonville's OL now. But he did build up that Carolina line into one of the best in the league. They immediately became maulers when he arrived in 2001. And our line immediately fell off in 2001.

Another move that hurt was letting go of Kevin Donnalley in favor of Todd Perry in 2001. Donnalley spent most of 2001 on IR. But he's come back strong the last two years. Any coincidence that Todd Wade's production fell off as soon as Donnalley left??

Definite regression from Donnalley to Perry at the RG spot. And as soon as Donnalley was let go off, guess who snapped him up?? Yup, Boudreau and Carolina.

I agree on the Donnelly move. I have never felt as good about Perry at OG.

I'm hoping to see us really work hard for WR and OL this offseason.

Armstrong bye-bye. Norv bye. Forget the secondary coach's name, Mitchell? he is gone too.

Dave needs alot smarter staff.

And please get somebody better than Tony Wise. I believe a good coach can make Whitley a good RG like Donalley. CK's suggestion is a good one.

Originally posted by Phan4Ever

What are your thoughts on our QB contingent for next year?

Well, I've said since Fiedlers 2nd season that the thing about him that I question most is his ability to stay healthy. I said it again this offseason and had alot of people disagree about my assertion that he misses alot of games. I just don't think his body can handle being a full season player. However, I'll say right here and now I like the way he plays when healthy. I also think he would be the leagues BEST backup QB if we could find a better starter. His fire and confidence coming off the bench would be a lift at a time usually considered a scarey time.

That said....I'm not sure right now who I'd like to come into Miami as the Starter. Brunell is a possible improvement I suppose. Can I have Dan back?

If we upgrade our OL my top choice would be Warner. His release is quick and he is better than the rest of the availalbe guys.....but his lack of mobility wouldnt work with the current OL. So I guess if we can upgrade there i'd go with Warner.

Last edited by a moderator:
See though, Warner is a statue, an older statue at that. Like you said, with this O-line, Warner couldn't hang here. So in order to get Warner, we would need to upgrade the line. However, wouldn't that make it acceptable for Ricky and Fiedler? I mean, Fiedler with a btter line probably wouldn't be too much different than it is now but maybe he cna stay healthy for a seaosn (fat chance, I know). I guess I really don't want Warner...:lol:

As far as the coaches go. I think changing the scheme of the o-line to mirror the line in Denver is a bad idea. The body types aren't the same and it would take a few years to transition that all together. I would like to see our special teams coach go. However, assistant coaches isn't my forte so I really wouldn't know who to replace him with, unless of course, Westhoff came back.

Since Blevins left, Mare hasn't been the same. I know Blevins screwed up and that is why he was fired but they should look into bringing him back if they can. Mare obviously listened to whatever he was saying and it worked.

While our special teams was decimated by injury, I kind of find it hard to believe that that was th eonly reason. Sure, Perry, Moore, Gamble and others were to play a big part but the scheme were just awful. I can't even begin to count how many penalties, and fair catches we had. The caoching just wasn't there.

As for Bates. I have never liked him. I think him messing with the defense this year was a bad idea. Madison has gotten burned a lot this year. While we got more turnovers, we also watched and shook our head as one of the games top cornerback duo dropped down a few notches i nour eyes (mainly due to Madison). Personally I wouldn't mind seeing more man on man again and dumping thise zone business. Madison thrives on the bump and run and taking that away form him just doesn't seem to work. If Bates can put more man to man in. I will be happy. Afterall, that is all that really matters. My happiness. :lol:

I used to hope for Mel Phillips' departure back when Shula was still head coach. I never could understand why he was kept year after year when our pass D sucked. You would always hear that he has a great rapport with the players, I don't care how well he talks to them myself. The pass D did eventually improve, but that was because our talent at CB did. I think our biggest problem lately is that our safeties are often out of position on long pass plays. Every time a long pass is completed on Miami, Marion is usually getting burned also when he's susposed to be helping. Marion's Pro Bowl invite is a joke.

Mare hasn't been the same since Blevins was fired. Was Blevins even replaced? If we can't have him back, maybe just bringing in any kicking coach would help. The same could be said for QB coach, Shula was never replaced and I think Fiedler's and Griese's play suffered from that.

Bates was always referred to as Mr. Vanilla before this season, then Wannstedt got more involved in the D. How do you add players to your D like Seau, Knight and Zgonia and get worse statistically? Bates and Wanny needs to go, are you listening Wayne H? I guess not.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Eddie Moore was supposedly the best coverage LB in teh draft last year. Maybe he'll be the nickel and dime backer next year.

Does anyone know if the GM has the power to fire assistant coaches? I had kinda thought it was the HC who assembled his staff like in basketball.

I think it is very hard to pass judgement on E Moore considering that he was hurt before he played in a regular season game !!

As for my choices for a GM .. Ron Wolf would be my first, I know that he is getting up there in age but the guy knows talent and has proven that he can build a s-b champion ...

Tim Ruskell has been with the Bucs for 17 years and oversees the scouting depts .. Ruskell has 21 years of pro scouting experience and apparently when Huizenga was inquiring the chances of retaining R McKay to the GM position, the first person McKay suggested was Ruskell....

Tom Modrak would be the 3rd guy I would seek ... He has 27 years of scouting director experience with the Steelers and the Eagles. Modrak helped build some excellent Steeler teams that produced as much as 8 pro bowlers and a s-b appearance..

;)

Marino1983

Originally posted by Bottle Nose
Didn't Mare start missing after the kicking coach got fired?

I agree.... For whatever reason Blevins seemed to know how to get the best out of Mare..

:shakeno:

Marino1983

Originally posted by PhinstiGator
Special teams was hammered by injuries...

Ed Perry
Eddie Moore
Sam Simmons
Trent Gamble

And Mare struggled to make the game winning field goals.

I really don't see anything special about Westoffs job in Jets land other than Santana Moss.

Tony Wise changed our system to ZONE BLOCKING...very similar to what Denver does. The injuries were deadly and Tony Wise had very little to work with. Seriously.

Wise did a very poor job. Our offensive linemen have very poor technique, which you can blame on coaching. The only reason why he is here is because he is friends with Wanny.

Back
Top Bottom