Assuming Jeff Fisher ends up in Miami...we switch to 4-3??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assuming Jeff Fisher ends up in Miami...we switch to 4-3???

Phinfan31

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Lets talk about what happens if we have to switch to a 4-3.

It seems this going to happen if we land Fisher...Can someone please enlighten me as to what will happen if we switch over?

Which personnel will be expendable?
Where will our weak spots be on defense?
Will we keep Mike Nolan?
What kind of packages will we have?

Is it WORTH IT??? Nolan is great....I don't want to lose him!

Considering we have a deep D-Line and are weak at LB's, a move to 4-3 makes perfect sense. Plus it mean Soliai isn't a necessity and the Fins can let him walk and open up a TON of cap space if they want. Play Starks/Oddrick at DT, Wake at RDE, and McDaniel or re-sign Langford for LDE.

Burnett, Dansby, Misi at LB makes things easier as well. Less pressure on Misi in a 4-3. Plus Misi played in a 4-3 in college.

I'd play Soliai and Starks at DT with Odrick and Wake at DE. Soliai is an absolute weapon at DT who can shut down the run and occupy blockers much like Tim Bowens did in his prime, or Ted Washington did or Pat Williams. You guys who think big money is only worth it for a NT don't remember all of our years of struggling at the DT position. If you've got a good one, pay him. Then re-sign Langford and bring Langford and McDaniel off the bench at DT. We would probably need a couple of lighter pass rushers off the bench. Draft one and sign one in free agency.

Also need to bring in two safeties.

Dansby in the middle flanked by Burnett (weak) and Misi (strong). I'd like to see an athletic, fast and young OLB added to the mix.

Considering we have a deep D-Line and are weak at LB's, a move to 4-3 makes perfect sense. Plus it mean Soliai isn't a necessity and the Fins can let him walk and open up a TON of cap space if they want. Play Starks/Oddrick at DT, Wake at RDE, and McDaniel or re-sign Langford for LDE.

Burnett, Dansby, Misi at LB makes things easier as well. Less pressure on Misi in a 4-3. Plus Misi played in a 4-3 in college.
you might be on to something there. The last few years we've been very deep at the d-line spot so why not play more of them?.....I'd like a real MLB tho w Dansby and Burnett outside.....we also need a corner and lots of offence.

Ozzy rules!!

Lets talk about what happens if we have to switch to a 4-3.

It seems this going to happen if we land Fisher...Can someone please enlighten me as to what will happen if we switch over?

Which personnel will be expendable?
Where will our weak spots be on defense?
Will we keep Mike Nolan?
What kind of packages will we have?

Is it WORTH IT??? Nolan is great....I don't want to lose him!

Personnel that are expendable will probably be the ones leaving contracts. If we are rehauling our entire defense again, then there will be no need to keep 3-4 personnel that are becoming free agents. Soliai is the only one that pops to mind, and he will undoubtably chase nose tackle money.

Weak spots on defense will probably be much of the same that we have now: passrusher opposite Wake, free safety, strong safety(Bell is getting old), and possibly defensive tackle. People assume our players can make the transition, but im unconvinced. Misi was a LB in college....for a 3-4, he just didnt rush the passer as much and dropped into coverage more. Dansby played OLB for the Cardinals when they ran a 4-3, assuming he goes back there who will be our middle, Burnett? Can he handle it?
As well, Randy Starks played in a 4-3 years before and wasn't the player he was after he switched systems. Oh, and that 4-3 defense he played for? The Titans. They let him walk in free agency.

We will not keep Nolan if Fisher comes. Fisher has already indicated he wants to bring someone from his former staff like Gregg Williams.

No idea about packages.

Probably the only way we keep Nolan is if we bring in a young offensive coordinator for Head Coach or we bring in Brian Billick who hired him then promoted him while they worked in Baltimore.

First we have to find out if he in fact plans to use a 4-3. He may not.

Jeff Fisher has always been a defensive coach, and was a defensive coordinator before accepting the head coaching job for the Oilers. He then spent 16 seasons coaching up the 4-3 system despite the recent popularity of the 3-4. I think hes pretty determined to stick with what he knows and has had success with. Even if he does switch to a 3-4, you can bet he would want "his guys" running it.

yes, wherever he goes he will probably bring greg williams, so it would be a high blitzing 4-3

How about a D-line of Coples (1st round), Odrick, Starks, Wake? McDaniel is a rotational guy...IF Fisher does come here and I am going to jinx it, I would let Soliai walk and look at Langford...

Other D-line FA's that could fit are Robert Mathis, Calais Campbell, Jason Jones (Ten), Cliff Avril

Dave McGinnis could be another option at DC if Gregg Williams did not come. Jim Washburn is an amazing D-line coach...the only guy Albert Haynesworth played hard for...

it's a lot easier to switch to a 4-3 than it is to switch to a 3-4. Mainly because of the LBs. Hell, D-linemen prefer the 4-3 because they're job becomes less about taking up blockers and more about beating their man.

Randy Starks was drafted by Fisher and played in his 4-3. Odrick played in a 4-3 in college and was an All-American. Wake was a rush DE in the CFL, and gets most of his sacks with his hand on the ground anyways.

Now if we move to a 4-3 we need more rush DEs, and we'll probably need a MIKE as I think Dansby and Burnett are much better as WILL and SAM backers (though a MIKE is not a necessity). I think Luke Kuechley becomes the favorite for our pick if Fisher comes and we can't get a QB. Which tentatively brings our front 7 IMO to look like this
DE-Wake
DT-Starks
DT-Odrick
DE-Misi/Langford/McDaniel (Misi WAS a DE in college)

OLB-Dansby
MLB-Kuechley
OLB-Burnett

If we move to the 4-3, look for a LDE via Free Agency.

I don't think Langford or McDaniels provide any pass rush from the 7 Technique.

Misi hasn't shown any flash as a pass rusher, so I wouldn't want to see him there either.

Wake is the ideal 3-4 OLB, so if we transition to the 4-3, I think we should trade him for picks.

Then use the number 9 pick for our pass rushing DE for the next decade.

Starks and Odrick inside in a 4-3 would be beastly.

Misi was a 4-3 DE.

RDE Wake
NT Big Paul
DT Odrick playing the 3 technique.
LDE Starks

SLB Dansby
MLB Carder draft pick from TCU
WLB Burnett

Back
Top Bottom