Assuming we trade Ricky to Denver | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assuming we trade Ricky to Denver

flintsilver7 said:
Well, Football Outsiders says they were ranked 4th in the league in pass defense efficiency.

Denver had the highest total in pass attempts per game at 38.3. In completion percentage against, they were 3rd. In interceptions, they were 6th. In touchdowns allowed, they were 18th. In yards per attempt, they were 6th in the league. In QB Rating against, they were 4th.

Get it now? Or are you just going to go on total yards against?
LOL. Ya, they were passed on more than any other team in the league and for over 225 yds per game. Tom Brady threw for almost 400 yards against them and Roeth threw for almost 300 in a run first offense. I dont know how you think their secondary isnt a major need. Really, I don't.
Meanwhile they ranked somewhere in the middle of the NFL pack in Passing offense with 2 quality receivers. Honestly, WTF are you talking about?

I'd rather use our pick on Huff, Greenway, or Williams or a very good LT. Use their pick to take Max Jean-Gilles, Guard is a big need for us or take someone like Chad jackson if he runs a 4.3. Or Thomas Howard. I'd rather add two quality players then trade up and give away three picks for one guy. We have more holes then just QB, sure its our biggest but we could use two quality first rounders on a our team. I would love to see Greenway and Jean-Gilles in our starting lineups, that would be awesome.

Denver has a 22 and 29, I think. If we do trade Ricky for one of their firsts, and that's BIG if, it'll probably be the 29. I don't think the #16 plus #29 (even if we package our third) is gonna be enough to move into the top 3 for Leinart or Young (which is what it will take!). In fact, I don't think all our draft picks would do it!

Someone would have to break out the old draft chart to test this. Love to see it happen though

Could we do Sam Madison and our first and whatever we get for Ricky from Denver for a high pick on a QB? That would help us in a lot of ways.

Pocoloco said:
Denver has a 22 and 29, I think. If we do trade Ricky for one of their firsts, and that's BIG if, it'll probably be the 29. I don't think the #16 plus #29 (even if we package our third) is gonna be enough to move into the top 3 for Leinart or Young (which is what it will take!). In fact, I don't think all our draft picks would do it!

Someone would have to break out the old draft chart to test this. Love to see it happen though

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_va...alue_chart.htm

LarryFinFan said:
So you're suggesting to go after Young...a guy who will not be ready to start for us this year at all. Leinart may be able. Cutler is two years on the pine also...None of the QBs this year are sure fire...Young has accuracy problems and mechanic issues. Leinart is the most polished but lacks ideal arm strength and Cutler might develop into a top flite QB, but he's two years out...

Young doesn't fit very well in our offense, although I'd take him or Leinart or Cutler or even Croyle or Jacobs before I'd start the season with Gus again....

Don't know if I'd want to pay the price to move up on any of these guys...

You misunderstood my words a little

Im not suggesting it, someone said we should move down and take cutler or leinart, I just said IF we moved down to should be for Young or Ferguson

Leinart may have the best rookie season but down the road I dont see him being an elite QB which is what everyone seems to think

Cutler wont be ready to start this year or maybe even the next so he is a reach to trade down for

Now before the Rose bowl people said Young had an arm but couldnt check down and manage a game....after the rose bowl the said he could do that but doesnt have a good enough arm, that my friend is just people wanting to not like him

I think Young would fit our system just fine really, a lot of deep balls and post patterns, although who knows what kind of play calling we will have next year.

Its just my opinion and you ya never know when it comes to QB's

ABrownLamp said:
LOL. Ya, they were passed on more than any other team in the league and for over 225 yds per game. Tom Brady threw for almost 400 yards against them and Roeth threw for almost 300 in a run first offense. I dont know how you think their secondary isnt a major need. Really, I don't.
Meanwhile they ranked somewhere in the middle of the NFL pack in Passing offense with 2 quality receivers. Honestly, WTF are you talking about?
You must be a little slow. They were passed on more than any other team because they were 13-3 and frequently had a lead. Not that I expect you to know how to graph something, but generally teams with more passing attempts against have better records. Houston, Tennessee and New Orleans were 32nd, 31st and 26th, respectively, in QB Rating Against. Yet they were 4th, 6th, and 1st in pass attempts per game. Why didn't teams pass the ball more against them? (Hint: it's because they were a combined 9-39.) By the way, Brady threw for 341 yards because Denver led wire to wire and passing is generally how you catch up.

Their secondary is very efficient. I'm giving you hard numbers and you come back with two games. Well, good for you. You can't argue with facts. Their opposing quarterbacks had a rating against them of 70.9. This means that, on average, Denver makes opposing quarterbacks look like somewhere around Anthony Wright (71.7), Brett Favre (70.9), and Aaron Brooks (70.0).

Meanwhile, Denver ranked 18th in passing yards per game for. This isn't to say they were efficient - their passing offense was pretty good. If you're going to ignore the fact that Rod Smith is going to be 36, that's up to you.

Aqua and Orange said:
Could we do Sam Madison and our first and whatever we get for Ricky from Denver for a high pick on a QB? That would help us in a lot of ways.
How, exactly, would getting rid of Madison and Ricky for a draft pick help us in a lot of ways?

I can think of two ways it would hurt us.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Denver were to trade 29 to us for Ricky, I would stay at both spots and take the BPA at those spots. It would be a helluva draft for us if that were to play itself out. Or if anything trade the 29 for a couple more picks. Giving Saban the ability to add exactly the talent that fits his system.

flintsilver7 said:
You must be a little slow. They were passed on more than any other team because they were 13-3 and frequently had a lead. Not that I expect you to know how to graph something, but generally teams with more passing attempts against have better records. Houston, Tennessee and New Orleans were 32nd, 31st and 26th, respectively, in QB Rating Against. Yet they were 4th, 6th, and 1st in pass attempts per game. Why didn't teams pass the ball more against them? (Hint: it's because they were a combined 9-39.) By the way, Brady threw for 341 yards because Denver led wire to wire and passing is generally how you catch up.

Their secondary is very efficient. I'm giving you hard numbers and you come back with two games. Well, good for you. You can't argue with facts.

Meanwhile, Denver ranked 18th in passing yards per game for. This isn't to say they were efficient - their passing offense was pretty good. If you're going to ignore the fact that Rod Smith is going to be 36, that's up to you.

LOL. I see. So if you have a good record and you frequently lead, then according to you, you will be passed on a lot and give up lots of yards on passing D? Gee, let me think of how I can respond to this...Chicago, Jax, Indi, Pitt...I don't think I need to list any more...oh what the heck, TB and Carolina.

Oh and do you think the reason NO, Tenn and Houston had good Pass D stats was because everyone could run on them so why even bother passing?

Anyway, I don't really care about Denver or this silly argument. All I am saying is that NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON...if you rank 3 or 4 from last in pass D yards, there is something wrong...How can you argue with that????The Pass D is giving up major yards and were eaten up in the post season (the reason I mentioned those Roeth and Brady). Why are you arguing that there isnt a problem? I don't care how many times the opposing team passes, THEIR D SHOULD NOT BE GIVING UP THOSE YARDS.

finjim said:
for one of their first round picks (which I don't think will happen). who would you want to use that pick on?

it would probably be #29. my ideal draft after that move would be greenway at #16, cromartie at #29, and croyle in the 2nd.:dolphins:

ABrownLamp said:

Well maybe if you watched the draft last year, or any of the games. you'd know that they drafted a few corners last year, and they played really well.

Meanwhile, Rod Smith is prone to getting Alzheimer any second now, and they have no #3 guy.

Honestly, WTF are you talking about??

flintsilver7 said:
Aren't you people using your heads?

Look at this logically. Assume Denver ignores their greatest need - wide receiver - and instead chooses to trade a high draft pick for Ricky Williams, who would add depth to a backfield that needs none of it. Tatum Bell has, in two years, averaged 5.3 yards per carry while Mike Anderson still has some gas left in the tank. So anyway, assume Denver, beyond all reasoning, does this trade for their 22nd pick. Packaging the 16th and 22nd picks together gives a numerical value somewhere between the 4th and 5th picks when - big surprise - both Leinart and Young will likely be off the board.

Leinhart is slipping (not a top 3 anymore) and Jay Cutler will be available of Leinhart isnt.

rainmaker1313 said:
Leinhart is slipping (not a top 3 anymore) and Jay Cutler will be available of Leinhart isnt.

:sidelol: WHAT?!?!?! I'm not a Leinart fan but thats ridiculous!

rainmaker1313 said:
Are we betting he doesnt go top 3 now????

Okay I misread, I thought you meant top 3 QBs. Regardless, he's still VERY likely a top 3 pick.

Back
Top Bottom