Assuming WR-Evans or Woods? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Assuming WR-Evans or Woods?

Dbergan

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Overview of Top 12 mock drafts have 2 instances of Rashaun Woods (Ok State)and Lee Evans ( Wisc) being selected w/ our #1 pick.

Question is....assuming we had a choice of these guys and went w/ a WR, which would fit our system better and complement Chambers more?

DB

not evans... 2 ACL problems already.

i would rather get a WR in FA. someone like Bruce, or Toomer would be better. Chambers is our #1, and those guys arn't #2's. our system isn't built to throw the ball a ton. it makes no sense to draft a WR at all. get rivers for the future.

Originally posted by Dbergan
Overview of Top 12 mock drafts have 2 instances of Rashaun Woods (Ok State)and Lee Evans ( Wisc) being selected w/ our #1 pick.

Question is....assuming we had a choice of these guys and went w/ a WR, which would fit our system better and complement Chambers more?

DB

I would rather have Woods. He is big and he would be a very good compliment to Chambers. Evans is also good but his injury history concerns me a bit. I don't think you could go wrong with either guy but taking Evans is more of a risk.

Woods. He'd be the perfect #2. He's big, he can go up for the catch, and he has great hands.
Evans is good but he has the past knee injury and he's basically a Chamber clone play-wise.

Evans only had 1 ACL tear he went had a follow up because of a infection, but from what i remember he only had 1 surgery on his ACL

Are there FA's available at the WR position that we could afford? Most draft sites indicate that WR and QB are rich this draft...might be a cheaper option to go w/ a woods or evans then a FA?

My thought would be to go w/ OL help and Brunel w/ FA and use this draft to pick up a Rivers level QB and a woods/evans quality WR if available., then heavy OL focus.....thoughts?

WR and QB early in draft, OL in FA and rounds 3-7. That would be the perfect scenario. WR are deep in the draft and any of the top 5 or 6 guys can step right in and start. OL need more time to adjust to the speed of the NFL so get a couple of established guys in FA and depth in the draft. Pick up a QB to groom.
All this depends on whether or not we lose O-Gun and get another 1st and 3rd. If not, I hope they go WR in Rnd 1 and OL in Rnd 3.

Are there FA's available at the WR position that we could afford? Most draft sites indicate that WR and QB are rich this draft...might be a cheaper option to go w/ a woods or evans then a FA?

My thought would be to go w/ OL help and Brunel w/ FA and use this draft to pick up a Rivers level QB and a woods/evans quality WR if available., then heavy OL focus.....thoughts?

FA WRs this year:

Terrell Owens UFA
Steve Smith RFA
Darrell Jackson UFA
Tai Streets UFA
Kevin Dyson UFA
Dennis Northcutt UFA
Marcus Robinson UFA
Dez White UFA
Justin McCareins RFA
Dane Looker RFA

Smith and McCariens would look good but will be pricey and are Restricted FA so there would be draft compensation too. Owens is a cancer. No thanks. And I don't think the rest of the guys would be any better than say a Michael Clayton or Rashaun Woods.

I like the idea of Brunell and bringing in a rookie to learn under him. But they need OL help and they need to go after that in FA..not in the draft.

Greenfin.....I agree 100%.

Based on all I have seen posted thus far...the OGUN sell factor is starting to weight very heavy right now ref the Offensive side of the ball. If we get a #1 and a #3 then the options really expand.

Guess the next logical question would be if the Ogun option is really credible...it certainly makes a big impact on the draft selection.

In any event, Woods looks like the WR to lean toward if we go that route.

DB

Well there has been a lot of talk about O-Gun. I think their hand might be forced if someone offers him a big contract. Fact is, even if they wanted to keep him, they may not be able to match a big offer.
ESPN the Mag had a little blurb about O-Gun. They said the Texans and the Vikings are 2 teams with the need and the money for a dominate DE like O-Gun. But I'm not so sure the Taxans would give up the #5 pick. And the Vikings were already burned by a Miami DE (see Lorenzo Bromell). So they may be a little gun shy. We''l have to see.

My pick at WR would be in this order: 1. Michael Clayton 2. Rashaun Woods 3. Lee Evans 4. Michael Jenkins.

Let's not forget how hard it is for a rookie WR to contribute in his first year. With a few exceptions it's usually a two year learning curve for a WR with the break-out coming in year three.

Do we have the luxury to wait? I think not.

I'd rather go with OL in the first and get a WR in free agency.

texans dont have the number 5 pick, the have the tenth pick which still may be too high to give up, but at the same time they may be willing to take ogun, hes exactly what they need/want

lee evans only had 1 acl surgery, the other surgery was to remove some excess fluid from his knee while recovering, if youve seen him play, hes fully recovered. Many will remember the play when he burned chris gamble and showed his amazing speed....

i like woods as well, if it came down to those two, but evans wouldnt be a bad alternate, hes played with chambers in college and high school and looks up to/respects him. We know wed be getting someone with a good work ethic who wants to succeed and is willing to work his a$$ off to do it.

Sounds reasonable...

Aqua, who would you go after in FA, based on Greenfin's list above? And can we afford the cost??

DB

im not aqua, but ill respond anyway.... darrell jackson or dennis northcutt. My hope is that the rams cut bruce since htere has been a lot of talk about that, and he has expressed interest in playing in miami, likely at a hometown discount. but if thats not possible darrell jackson would be the next best, i throw in northcutt because it would give us a legit kick/punt return threat and he would easily replace mcknights lost speed.

Back
Top Bottom