At this point, Would you rather lock up Ogun or take the 1st round tender? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At this point, Would you rather lock up Ogun or take the 1st round tender?

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

That's still a one year cap fix. Sure you might have him signed but how many players just got put on the street for 2005. Especially since a contract like what your talking about would need to have an option bonus next year. Then you still don't get CC signed.

How do you know what I'm talking about when I didn't throw out any numbers??? Big money contracts start out small like the minimum and don't get to the 5 or 7 million a year range till three or five years into the contract.

As for signing CC, he or the team may want to wait until his contract is up to judge his value. One game does not make a super star.

Originally posted by Merman

How do you know what I'm talking about when I didn't throw out any numbers??? Big money contracts start out small like the minimum and don't get to the 5 or 7 million a year range till three or five years into the contract.

As for signing CC, he or the team may want to wait until his contract is up to judge his value. One game does not make a super star.

Uh yes but your forgetting a little thing called the signing bonus. First year is going to be close to the tender in the first place on the money he is looking and WILL get. I also was talking about the 2nd, 3rd year etc. As it is were going to have to cut about $15 million in salary this offseason and CC's contract will be worked on cause no way can this team be stupid enough to let that sit until he's a FA after 2004.

I know this is late but i just had to put in my opinion ;)... I think we need to keep Ogun... you NEVER know with the draft. You can pick someone up thinking they are the future and they just lay and egg. Id rather have somone that has proven themself over and over again as Ogun has done. Last year he had quite oa few sacks and enough tackles and now he has a hell of a lot of sacks so far. We need to keep him and let Jay lead this team one more time unless we can get a good QB in free agency. But i guess only time will tell because we all know that Ogun will want BIG money.. can we afford it is the question.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Uh yes but your forgetting a little thing called the signing bonus. First year is going to be close to the tender in the first place on the money he is looking and WILL get. I also was talking about the 2nd, 3rd year etc. As it is were going to have to cut about $15 million in salary this offseason and CC's contract will be worked on cause no way can this team be stupid enough to let that sit until he's a FA after 2004.

I'm not forgetting the signing bonus. You even said it already the bonus can be paid over two years if it's that big. There will be plenty of incentive to make the first year as cap friendly as possible as Ogunleye is a good fit here.

As for CC, the player also has to agree to the extention no matter what the team wants. It would be to his benefit, if he has a great year in 2004, to see what the market value is like. It's a risk and only CC can decide what's right for him. He is an up and coming star not a veteran looking at his last contract with the team.

Also since the cap seems like it will have to be trimmed the team may want to wait til after 2004 to deal when they might be in better shape cap wise. Even if you don't agree.

It is nice to speculate. :)

We can get a top pick with him. If we do that i wouldnt mind taking Eli, Larry Fitz, Ben Rothlisberger (i have seen him play, and he is a STUD) r williams or some other guys i might be forgetting. I believe that we can stick a decent DE in there to replace him and we would be fine. I really believe we need a QB for the future and this looks like a great year to get one.

Eli and R Williams are both top 5 picks. We have no chance at getting that high in the draft or the money to spend on a top five pick. Larry Fitzgerald is only a sophomore and has to stay in college at least one more year. Ben Roth will go mid to late first round and we could definitely take a shot at him. I personally prefer Philip Rivers TO ANY OTHER PLAYER IN THIS UPCOMING DRAFT. We could definitely make a play for him as he is mid to late first round as well. No other QB has reminded me of Marino like he does. He has the quickest release and is the most accurate QB out there. THIS GUY WILL BE A STUD. RIVERS TO MIAMI WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by unclemonty
1. We are still in control of the Ogun situation. We DEFINITELY put the first and third tender tag on him. We can sign him one more year for cheap(SMad says $800,000). He probably wouldn't be too happy, but that's the breaks you get sometimes. We take a chance in RFA, but would be fairly compensated. Remember we still have D-Bo who was expected to play alot, if not start this year. He would probably be an able replacement.
2. We sign him to a long term deal with a big signing bonus and low early salaries. Huzienga doesn't seem to spend nearly the money other owners do with bonuses though. The salary cap can always be manipulated. We were like 26th this year in actual money paid for salaries. Several teams spent $20 MILLION MORE THAN US this year!!!
We can also restructure a few deals with current players. I love the Prince, and he could very well lead the league in sacks this year (he is tied for the lead right now). I'd hate to lose him, but you can't have everything.
3. I don't think Sage is the future. I have no problems with Fiedler for a year or two. There are a lot of great QB prospects in next years draft. I would love to get one to groom. We have NO CHANCE at drafting Eli Manning. He is a lock top 3 pick. Top 3 picks cost MAJOR $$$$$ anyhow. No team with a top seven pick would make an offer to Ogun that would cost them their first, let alone first and third picks. Eli Manning won't be the best QB in the class anyhow. PHILIP RIVERS WILL BE THE NEXT GREAT NFL QB. MARK MY WORDS. We can get him cheaper and with a much lower pick (mid to late first rounder). We need to do everything possible to get this guy. over 4,000 yards passing, 71% completion%, 29 tds only 7 ints!!! This guy didn't have much of an O-line either. He has the quickest release I've seen since "the Man" himself. He will be GREAT!!!
Basically, if we get Rivers and lose the Prince I would definitely be satisfied, because I think the team that gets him will have the best QB in the league in a few years. Plus, we still have D-Bo.
JOCKING RIVERS LONG AGO

Back
Top Bottom