At this point, Would you rather lock up Ogun or take the 1st round tender? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At this point, Would you rather lock up Ogun or take the 1st round tender?

Some highlights of Miami's 1st rnd picks the last 10 years. After you read these, maybe you will think twice about letting a premier guy go for a 1st rounder. Of course, you never know about that draft.... happy stat reading.

92 Troy Vincent 14 ints in 4 years and avg of 50 tackles a year
Solid CB
GRADE B

Marco Coleman 8 total Forced Fumbles, and 24 sacks in 4
years
- best year 2000... 12 sacks
- above average tackler for a DE
GRADE B+

93 O.J. McDuffie good possesion reciever 5000 yards recieving
in 9 years and 29 TDs
GRADE B-

94 Tim Bowens Premiere DT and a Pro Bowler. Anchor to the
defense
GRADE A

95 Billy Milner We just missed on this one... a holdout that was
a below avg under achiever
GRADE F

96 Daryl Gardner Great the first couple of years, then had some
back problems and turned out to be "poison" in the
lockerroom. Has yet to show anything since being traded
GRADE B-

97 Yatil Green out for two years due to ACL injuries
GRADE F

98 John Avery What can I say? Too small, Too light, not
the Barry Sanders that JJ was hoping for
GRADE F

99 Nutin

'00 zero

'01 Jamar Fletcher Still hasn't proven anything except he might
be able to back someone up 25% of the time with reliability
GRADE C

'02 Nothing and glad for it! At least we got Ricky

'03 ditto

'92 Troy Vincent- A+ rating
has a been a premiere CB for years
Amazingly still very solid in Philly
Great pick, bad move not to pay to keep him

Jimmy really bombed his first rounders, and Wanny hasn't had a fair shake yet (only one pick)

I still think we put first and third round tender on him
If someone still wants him that bad, they pay a HEFTY price

WE STILL HAVE D-BO and GRIGSBY as well.
We might not be able to afford another huge contract on D without losing someone else valuable. If he performs another year at this level, then we talk big $$$$$$$$!!!!!

Lock up wally. Unless we could get a top 1-4 pick and get a unreal WR. Otherwise the draft a crapshoot. The other issue is that Wally could go to Buffalo completeing a very good D.

LEAVE THIS DEFENSE ALONE. A SOLID D AND A STABLE RUNNING GAME WINS SB's. DEAL WITH JUNIOR SEAU IN THE OFF SEASON, SHOP FOR A QB THAT HAS POTENTIAL AND A SMALL PRICE TAG. UPGRADE THE O-LINE. BOTTOM LINE, DON'T FIX WHAT AIN'T BROKE.

It's a matter of money. The 1st rounder is just more of an incentive to let him go, but it is our cap that is the biggest dictator of this. By the way not re-signing O-Gun means a very good RT John Tait as well as a first rounder.

Originally posted by hunter5nc1
Lock up Wally for sure! Him and JT = AWESOME!!!

Locking up Wally is not an option. We either get him on a one year rental with the RFA tag or we get the first round pick. Those are our options.

Remember we got CC's extension to do this offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is more important thatn Wally's as CC is a UFA next year, he is gonna put up great numbers next year. We need to get the extension done before then.

Originally posted by Jaj
That is more important thatn Wally's as CC is a UFA next year, he is gonna put up great numbers next year. We need to get the extension done before then.

Yup plus now would be the time to get CC's contract done rather then him going out and lighting it up next year.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Locking up Wally is not an option. We either get him on a one year rental with the RFA tag or we get the first round pick. Those are our options.

Remember we got CC's extension to do this offseason.

Maybe I don't understand your intent but Ogun can sign a long term contract which probably may be more cap friendly next year than the the first or first and third tender.

Originally posted by Merman

Maybe I don't understand your intent but Ogun can sign a long term contract which probably may be more cap friendly next year than the the first or first and third tender.

That's still a one year cap fix. Sure you might have him signed but how many players just got put on the street for 2005. Especially since a contract like what your talking about would need to have an option bonus next year. Then you still don't get CC signed.

Be realistic...

To get Manning we'd have to trade up to a top 3 or 4 pick. How much do you think that would take and which team do you think is going to give up one of those picks? To guarantee we get him we need the #1 pick, that's going to be really, really expensive.

I agree we need to draft a QB for the future. But, let's be realistic and not sell the house to get a single player. I'd rather try to land someone late in the 1st round and spend most of the rest of our draft choice (such as they are) on fixing up our OL.

What the Jets did with Pennington is a good example, they landed a guy with some talent, but, not a sure fire winner. They took the time to groom him and came up with a real player. We can do the same thing. If Fiedler continues to play like this I say we re-negotiate his contract and bring him back for $3M/year, sign a new backup or keep Sage for that and draft the guy who's going to start for us in 2005-6.

Here's a scenario for you, let's say we tag Ogunleye with a 1st and 3rd rounder and New England, who has 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, 1 3rd rounder, and 2 4th rounders, tenders him. Would you want that?

Let New England have em. They won't. O-Gun is too small for their 3-4 and cannot play LB.

Back
Top Bottom