At what point do you try Henne? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At what point do you try Henne?

dabeastdabone

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
OK, read all the way through before assuming I'm just blasting Pennington.

If we loose a couple of the next games, which if your realistic I think you have to consider is a real possibility. Arizona looked pretty good today and even without Brady you have to figure the Pats are favorites over the Fins...that leads to San Diego. Do you weigh in Henne's big arm as a now must have for a team that can't spare another game?

Henne looked real good in the preseason so why not?

I know Henne is young and can't be expected to save the season but hey two teams that looked worse 24 hours ago than the Dolphins are 1-0 and both have rookie QB's.

I know it's customary to say "BP does'nt play rookies", but that isn't true, he has drafted one rookie QB to be his guy and that guy started his rookie year, Henne would be his second.

We give Penny til week 10. and even then we probably still start him. Rookies should sit an entire year.

I woldn't go with Henne until our WR's can get seperation and our line can pass block. With the time Penney had on a many of the plays today a big armed QB wouldn't have made a difference.

Oh please lets just don't do this, remember last year with Beck.
The reason that we lost the game today was not pennington, we had a bunch of errors and blown assignments, pennington did everithing he could to win the game even had a run for first down that was called back. Lets wait and see next few weeks

why cant people spell lose properly? its like grade 3 grammar. as to your ridiculous and all too predictable thread, why would we start Henne week 4 against one of the better defenses in the NFL? WE ARE REBUILDING!!!!!!!!! wtf is wrong with people?

Dammit.

I wish we lost every game in the preseason now. Instead, we did good and the 12-4 crowd reared its ugly head. I was at the game, and I was ecstatic that we were able to mount a comeback against a team that may win the division now.

You guys are expecting way way way too much from a team that won one game last year, from a missed kick mind you, and turned over half the roster and the majority of the coaching staff.

I say give him until the 8th game. If we show marked improvement and are 3-5 or 4-4, I'd stay with Pennington the whole year and let Henne learn. However, if we continue to struggle or regress under Pennington, it's time to let the future take over. I'll be concerned if we're 0-3 going into the bye, b/c we have a pretty rough stretch coming out of it.

Next season. Why would I want to start him this year unless I had to (injury). Let him sit on the bench and learn as much as possible. If we can get him some game experience late in a game, go for it. Otherwise, leave him on the bench.

Starting a rookie is interesting. I mean Baltimore and Atlanta both had crappy offensives last year and they start Ryan & Flacco and they seem to manage the game decently and have solid performances today. Henne seems to have poise and he has a strong arm.I do think if we chose to use him it would be better to do it early and control his own success rather than bringing him in half way or 3/4 thru and are out of contention. Why get him banged up if we are out of the race and bring him in in a losing atmosphere?

i have trust in our coaches to know when to play him.

Penny was decent today, as long as this offensive unit progresses i'm all for him starting as our QB because he's a great source of knowledge and leadership

Starting a rookie is interesting. I mean Baltimore and Atlanta both had crappy offensives last year and they start Ryan & Flacco and they seem to manage the game decently and have solid performances today. Henne seems to have poise and he has a strong arm.

sparano will obviously have a lotta pressure on him to start henne, the media are going to be all over his azz like they were on cam last year

the only reason they wouldn't is if chad wins us some games

Starting a rookie is interesting. I mean Baltimore and Atlanta both had crappy offensives last year and they start Ryan & Flacco and they seem to manage the game decently and have solid performances today. Henne seems to have poise and he has a strong arm.

They also played much crappier teams then the reloaded Jets. The Lions and Bengals are not nearly as good as the Favre led Jets are. Let's see how Matt Ryan does without a 200 yard rusher before we start thinking rookie QB's will be fine.

sparano will obviously have a lotta pressure on him to start henne, the media are going to be all over his azz like they were on cam last year

the only reason they wouldn't is if chad wins us some games

Yeah but, thats really not gonna be Sparanos call...and we all know it...

Sparano: "Hey Bill i wanna start Henne"

Parcells: "....Shut up, Tony"

Sparano: "...ok"

As much as we like Henne, he was a second round pick and they were first round picks. That happened for a reason. They have a lot more poise in the pocket than Henne does, right now at least.

Also, they play for teams that have some pieces. The Ravens were 13-3 not long ago, and the Falcons have Michael Turner setting franchise records. With a veteran QB, we still can't get 4 yards a carry from either back. We aren't where those teams are, and we played a team that will contend for a playoff spot.

Please. Pennington was by far our best player today. We almost beat a really good team today, and had anyone given Pennington some help, combined with not making a few huge errors, we WIN that game today.

We should be thinking about how to win next week instead of worrying about when to play Henne. We can think about that when we are eliminated from the playoff picture. Honestly, I dont see that happening real early this year. I think we have a shot.

Back
Top Bottom