At what point does the economy affect the NFL ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

At what point does the economy affect the NFL ?

With the mentality of this country, a slower economy means sources of entertainment such as Sports are stronger than ever. Americans are consumers, all they do is buy, whether they have the money or they don't. Thats why everyone is in debt.

Besides, the NFL is popular enough that even when they price fans out of games with outrageous ticket costs, other wealthier fans will step in. I live in Philadelphia where the Eagles have a new stadium, a true crown jewel in contrast to the rat trap "Vet" Veterans Stadium. The old fans who sat in the nosebleeds in the vet because thats all they could afford are sitting at home watching the games while the corporate suburban crowd sells out the place every week.

Probably at the point that the economy stops growing, which hasn't occurred yet.

A recession is defined by two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth. Since the recovery began from the last recession in Bush's first year in office, the US economy hasn't had a single quarter of negative growth - much less two.

The big buzz over the "terrible" economy is related mostly to three things.... the mortgage market scandal... much higher energy prices... and the fact that with a presidential election near where the Democrat isn't the incumbent - the media has been relentlessly negative with every story about the economy. I could go into detail about all three of those points... but this is a football discussion board. :)

Mike Florio ran a blurb on Huizinga's comments that the economy was affecting ticket sales for the Dolphins, and felt the need to make this observation:

Um, would that 1-15 season have anything to do with the decrease in the sales?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/

Dude, if you don't think this economy is in trouble, then you must have GOP glasses on. Fuel prices up 50% in a year, grocery prices up at least 20% in a year and faked inflation, unemployment and economic growth numbers from an administration that had lied about everything from WMD to "North Korea are now good guys" please :rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

Take you head out of the sand before its too late. :lol:

And they play a big role in keeping economies pumping.

At the expense of the workers & middle class. I can see most of the people on this thread don't live in the real world. If they were TRUE working class people they would have understood what I was getting at.

Well, I don't think many individuals are buying season tickets like in years before. When I purchased my tickets from the dolphins it was all up front. Credit/Cash at the stadium. My friend a couple of weeks ago, purchased tickets from them and has payment installments, for first time season ticket buyers. Unheard, coming from them, I have moved from the endzone 400 to 156...and don't have the cash now, but got the credit cards empty.....tempting.....the inflation is quickly climbing faster than usual. The sales rep calls me every week, I have my final say at the end of july.....plus I don't want to give my money up for free for 1-15season...

Well, I don't think many individuals are buying season tickets like in years before. When I purchased my tickets from the dolphins it was all up front. Credit/Cash at the stadium. My friend a couple of weeks ago, purchased tickets from them and has payment installments, for first time season ticket buyers. Unheard, coming from them, I have moved from the endzone 400 to 156...and don't have the cash now, but got the credit cards empty.....tempting.....the inflation is quickly climbing faster than usual. The sales rep calls me every week, I have my final say at the end of july.....plus I don't want to give my money up for free for 1-15season...

I personally think its going to be a tragic year attendance wise for the Fins. Last season, the last few home games, especially since the NE game, the attendance was horrible, maybe 50% of the stadium full if they were lucky. No one wants to sit in 90º+ for a team that will just get schlacked.

I personally think its going to be a tragic year attendance wise for the Fins. Last season, the last few home games, especially since the NE game, the attendance was horrible, maybe 50% of the stadium full if they were lucky. No one wants to sit in 90º+ for a team that will just get schlacked.

Unless we win the first 2-3 games in a row :wink:

I guess the best way to find out if the economy is to blame for the decrease in season ticket sales, then we should look at ticket sales for every team around the country. If it's mainly our ticket sales, then I'd have to conclude the reason would be mainly because of the last part of the above comment.

It's actually pretty funny to think that people are seriously trying to figure out why our ticket sales are on the decline.

PEAK OIL... most of you don't get it yet... but you will, eventually. PEAK OIL. It's just a matter of a couple of years now before you see the end of organized sport. Don't believe me? Think I'm exaggerating? Just wait. Time will tell.

Life After The Oil Crash - LATOC (Google it.)
DIEOFF (Google it.)
peakoil.com

Have a nice day!

Back
Top Bottom