Atlanta Falcons Desperate for DL? We've got a lot in stock... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Atlanta Falcons Desperate for DL? We've got a lot in stock...

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2111098

DE Brady Smith just had serious neck surgery that could sideline him for a significant part of the season.

This comes in the wake of DT Rod Coleman's arrest and being charged with disorderly conduct. If Coleman pleads guilty or is convicted, he could get suspended by the league.

Per the article, the Falcons were already thin on DL before Smith's injury and Coleman's arrest.

Just to update you, we have the following players ALL with significant NFL experience...

DE/DT Kevin Carter
DE/DT Vonnie Holliday
DE Jason Taylor
DE David Bowens
DT Keith Traylor
DT Larry Chester
DT Jeff Zgonina
DT Dario Romero

In addition to that, we have newcomers...

DE Matt Roth
DT Manuel Wright
DT Kevin Vickerson

I once posted that the Dolphins may look at the possibility of Vonnie Holliday at NT, and getting him to gain a significant amount of weight. This is because he is currently 5th on the depth chart at DE.

Perhaps the Dolphins could shop one of these excess linemen to the Falcons? Or perhaps you think we really do need 11 defensive linemen on a team that employs four down linemen on some plays, and only three down linemen on other plays....

For salary cap reasons they can't trade Carter, Holliday, Trayor. Cant trade Chester who isn't 100%. Won't trade JT, Roth, Wright or Vickerson.

The only guy with any trade value (albeit low trade value) is Zgonia. And I would rather keep him than get a 7th round pick.

dont forget they also lost Ed Jasper their veteren gap filler to retirment so they will be wanting to spend some money or trade for defense. dont expect a blockbuster deal though(with anyone).

MikeO said:
For salary cap reasons they can't trade Carter, Holliday, Trayor. Cant trade Chester who isn't 100%. Won't trade JT, Roth, Wright or Vickerson.

The only guy with any trade value (albeit low trade value) is Zgonia. And I would rather keep him than get a 7th round pick.

I can see why they coudln't trade Carter or Traylor for salary cap reasons, but Vonnie Holliday did not receive a significant bonus with his 2 year deal. There's no reason they couldn't trade him, especially with the surplus of cap room we still have from the Surtain trade.

MikeO said:

:yeahthat:

cnc66 said:
we'd be getting dry fuucked

Are you freakin serious? JT has only a few years left in him... plus we are stacked at DE... This would be the awesomest thing I could think of... It wont EVER happen... but you are crazy to think we would be gettin the worst part of the deal...

Nasty

D Bowens ??? he would fit what they need (weakside DE).

Roman529 said:
Jason Taylor for Michael Vick??? :eek:

:shakeno:, lol dude that would be the best but the falcons would never get rid of vick and im not sure i want to get rid of j.t., maybe we can get deangelo hall:D

Too many people say Vick cant throw the ball, or he fumbles and throws INTs but look at all the yardage he gets running it and all the problems he creates...I love JT but I would make this trade....not sure how it would effect our cap as Vick makes huge $$$$ but I would make the deal given JT's age versus Vicks and what he could bring us versus what we have with Feeley and Gus.

You guys can't afford Vick

Besides, half the guys on the list are just as hurt as the falcons DLinemen..

Nobody is gonna trade for a dinged up old lineman that you'ed offer.

Losman7 said:
You guys can't afford Vick

Besides, half the guys on the list are just as hurt as the falcons DLinemen..

Nobody is gonna trade for a dinged up old lineman that you'ed offer.

who else is dinged up other than Chester?

Only one I see having trade value is Bowens.

Nasty said:
Are you freakin serious? JT has only a few years left in him... plus we are stacked at DE... This would be the awesomest thing I could think of... It wont EVER happen... but you are crazy to think we would be gettin the worst part of the deal...

Nasty

I am serious, I don't think Ron Mexico is all that, he will be frequently injured and is not a good quarterback, amazing athlete perhaps but not a good QB.

I don't see Bowens being pursued by the Falcons unless it is as a hybrid DE/OLB...which is what we're using him as right now.

I suggested Holliday because he's got the prerequisite strength to play DE in a 3-4 scheme (which is what they use in Atlanta, isn't it?)

Back
Top Bottom