Attitude....Play Calling....Speed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Attitude....Play Calling....Speed

cashman34

Scout Team
Reaction score
I have been a member of this site for a little over 2 years now and I have to admit that I enjoy the varied personalities that call this place home. I recently reveiwed a thread and it's composer thought our O-Line was not up to snuff and would be our downfall in the upcoming season.

Well I happen to disagree with that opinion as the O-Line we had last year was very resilent towards the middle to the end of the season. Now there are not very many O-Lines in the entire NFL that could've withstood the steady barrage of 6-7 and in some cases 8 man blitz package schemes that our guys had to endure. And it wasn't like there was a signal caller back there that seemed to have a single clue as how to beat the blitz with checkdowns or hot routes!

The overall self-esteem of the offense suffered largely because of this "helpless" attitude that the offense seemed to have...alot of the time I had "no idea" how these guys collected their game checks in the presence of a defense that was giving the team and fans all they had!

But now there is a glimmer of hope and I am here to explain my opinion as to why I think the O-Line will be the strong point of this team in the upcoming season. I will not be able to take the words ,"punt...punt...punt team let's go!", after 3 ridiculous, terribly called plays ever again!

(my wife is getting tired of having to replace the protective cover on the big screen...from all of the objects being thrown at it!)

Our O-Line will stand out this year for these 3 reasons as follows:

#1 ATTITUDE
-I have already touched on this topic a little and nothing has changed about the game of football. But in my opinion I regard the O-Line positions as some of the toughest in any sport. The combination of mental and physical toughness required to play in "The Most Dangerous Mosh Pit in the America" is second to none.

Now when exactly was the last time you've heard the word "nasty" and a Dolphins O-Lineman in the same sentence? Well I guarantee it wasn't within the past 5 years...the attitude that you want to go out and destroy the man across from you is something that you're born with...it's just like speed...it's a trait that is very hard to manufacture. "Nastiness" is drafted not taught....you can only get a hard-nose line by drafting hard-nosed players and this is where Satele and Mormino fit into the picture.

Now I am not condoning the "bar fight" mentallity as a behavior in your personal life...however, if you're gonna have a winning team it must be a trait in your O-Line's persona. These are two guys that were born with the natural mean spirit you want to protect your QB. In college Satele totalled over 175+ knockdown blocks from the C,G positions. Mormino is well known as a nasty O-Lineman that specialized in demeaning the defender across from him at Central Michigan through his extremely physical play.

Now I am not stupid enough to think that the "bar fight" mentality alone is going to get us to the Super Bowl by any means...but I do know that we will not be on track to get there until we have some guys that have pride and confidence in what they do...two things that these guys are not short on. So I say throw them into the fire and let them cut their puppy teeth with the starting unit from day one....which will probably happen with Satele and the jury is still out on aquiring Kendall from the Jets...but with the unrest I am begininng to see developing with Liewenski, I am not sure how he will respond once we get into camp...hopefully his "attitude" is one of a cagey vet that has been written off to pasture and still has a few tricks up his sleeve! After all the guy is still a Dolphin...therefore I wish all the best to him.

The "attitude" that you came to that stadium to literally kick your opponents *** up and down the field is the only thing that will turn our offense as a whole around...if you don't "know" you can dominate a defense...then you do "know" you can't WIN!!!

#2 PLAY CALLING
-My second and probably most intellectual factor to us getting out of the cellar is the play calling. Gone are the ridiculous bone-headed calls that just set your offense up for failure...like having Ronnie Brown ( a bruising 230lb brahma bull) throwing HB passes from inside of the 10 yard line.....or maybe having a QB drop back and throw into the endzone to a CB that was sitting there from the snap of the ball!

( the kind of play that usually meant it was time for a new tv screen protector!)

This head coach is going to prove to be the best addition to the Dolphin's offense since they forced #13 out into retirement...he plugged a rookie offensive lineman into an O-Line that had the best RB in the league and a green franchise QB...and you see how that worked out for them!

Now I am not trying to say we are anywhere near the team that the San Diego Chargers are presently...but it sure is nice to see some of the moves that are taking place with this organization in order to move closer to playing that type of football!

(and for the record...we kicked their ***** anyway...with Mr. Brees to boot!)

The Dolphin Faithful have yet to experience such luxuries as having an offense that can make adjustments "on the fly" to take advantage of gaps or breakdowns in defensive coverages or schemes. There will be backup plans for the backup plans and we won't have to wait for halftime to make the simplest of adjustments. We will finally have a head coach that has a true feel for the offensive tempo of the game...knowing precisely when to call the play that catches that CB that's been jumpin' stop routes all day off guard....it's the small things like that that'll make the difference for the offense this season.

"Cam the Jam" came to town amongst a whole lot of fanfare and never dissapointed...I read in an article that escapes my memory that when asked what he was looking forward to doing upon his arrival...he said that he was lookin forward to developing Derek Hagan. Now what the?...that was the last response that I would've expected to come from his mouth to be quite frank, but that is the kind of thought pattern this guy has. We as fans barely make mention of #82 in our daily conversations, yet Cam sees something in this guy that was a major point of his excitement in joining the Dolphins. This kind of insight is what we'll see come Sunday...because if we as fans don't make much mention of the guy then the opposing D-Coordinator probably won't see #82 coming either!

The thing that I like best about Mr. Cameron leading our team is his "guts" and frankness when it comes to dealing with the personel on this team. Coming right in to the HC job and cutting McMicheal...like the move or not...you have to say he absolutely knows how to get his teams attention! And beleive you me...Mr. Chambers heard that axe drop "loud and clear"!

We will be a better offense this season because Cam will not "allow" it to be anything other. The man has a very simple philosophy...RB's run hard, read your keys and pick-up your blitzer...O-Lineman BLOCK...WR's and TE's block and CATCH...and QB's rip the heart out of opposing defenses on Sundays!!!......see it's simple.

#3 SPEED

-Now this is going to be the biggest difference in the offense this season. Oh...you wanna send the house on your blitz?...no problem, we just happen to have a screen-left called to Lorenzo Booker...don't mind him as he blows down your sideline with quickness we haven't seen on this team in years!

In case you're unsure as to whom he is, he's a quicker faster version of Leon Washington with exceptional hands to boot. Booker scored over 50+ TDs in high school his senior year...this kid knows how to find the endzone! The FSU coaching staff just had no clue how to use his skill sets to their advantage...a mistake that "Cam the Jam" will not commit...I promise you!

But the prize catch of the draft in my opinion...was Ted Ginn, Jr. I would like to officially go on record as saying the Dolphins organization is extremely lucky to have retained this young man's services (hopefuly for his entire career). If he had run at the combine we never would've had a chance...period!

This guy runs a legit mid 4.2 and has the kind of gifted vision that you don't see often. His 40 yd time is very impressive, but what I'd really like to see is the time for the 2nd 40 yds....it would easily be in the 4.0-4.1 range. Ginn, Jr. can change the momentum in a game at a moments notice and in case you've forgotten...he blew past three of the top DB's in this years draft (all 1st Rounders) for some pretty impressive receptions from the FL position...not to even mention his return skills!

I recently did some research and found out that our top-ranked defense forced over 70+ punts last year....now I ask you as a fellow Dolpfan sittin' next to you on the couch....what do you think Ted Ginn will do with 70+ plus attempts on returns?

This guy is no Wes Welker....coverage teams can't come flying downfield tossing caution to the wind knowing even if Welker breaks loose they can easily run him down....oh noooo!!! If you give this guy any space...you're toast! The smallest of gaps in your coverage technique and it's "off to the races"....and anyone in a foot race with Ginn, Jr. may as well stop off at the water cooler on the 50 yd line for a cool refreshing sip of GatorAde!

I have heard all the flaws as it relates to Ginn, Jr. (ie., can get off the jam and he's too skinny). Well the last time I checked Marvin Harrison wasn't winning any bodybuilding competitions...just Super Bowls! Ginn's size will prove to be irrelevant as you can't hit what you can't catch! You can be assured as well that Cam will move him around alot in order to give him a free release from time to time...and the rest will be history because I have not seen speed and football ability combined like this since Mr. Sanders...the original "Prime Time".

Maybe it sounds funny, but Ginn, Jr. turns the field position game to our favor. Think of how many shanked punts we'll see by guys trying to avoid him...and if they do kick it to him that works to our favor even more. All you had to have done was tuned into the NCAA National Championship football game to see what this guy does on the "Big Stage". His yardage in the return game should assist on offensive possesions where we might've had to punt. He puts us into field position for a possible three and that my friends is how you make the playoffs...points!

(I quietly predict that we get in as a WildCard this year...)

How many times last year would you see our inept offense go out on the field and gain only 8 yards...only to walk off the field as our weary defense takes the field on only 4 plays rest?

The offense is the reason we couldn't improve as a team...I don't care how good your defense is...fatigue makes cowards of any man! You have to have energy to play this game and there isn't a defense in the entire NFL that can stay on the field for 75% of the gameclock and not have breakdowns in coverages and play. That's why I see the foundation for a drastic improvement developing....the offense will begin to mold an identity which is what they're lacking at this point. In fact, our offense hasn't had one since #13 retired.

Toss in a threat opposite #99 with a real #55 that still has some legs left and I'd like to see where the QB's we face this year will be hiding. I am no authority on the Dolphins as I am just a fan like yourselves and I do hesitantly throw my words into the ring for your scrutiny. I look forward to all of your responses...good or bad. This thread required alot of work but I don't care because it's a labor of love...a love for the "only" undefeated team in the history of the NFL!

Go Dolphins!

I have been a member of this site for a little over 2 years now and I have to admit that I enjoy the varied personalities that call this place home. I recently reveiwed a thread and it's composer thought our O-Line was not up to snuff and would be our downfall in the upcoming season.

Well I happen to disagree with that opinion as the O-Line we had last year was very resilent towards the middle to the end of the season. Now there are not very many O-Lines in the entire NFL that could've withstood the steady barrage of 6-7 and in some cases 8 man blitz package schemes that our guys had to endure. And it wasn't like there was a signal caller back there that seemed to have a single clue as how to beat the blitz with checkdowns or hot routes!

The overall self-esteem of the offense suffered largely because of this "helpless" attitude that the offense seemed to have...alot of the time I had "no idea" how these guys collected their game checks in the presence of a defense that was giving the team and fans all they had!

But now there is a glimmer of hope and I am here to explain my opinion as to why I think the O-Line will be the strong point of this team in the upcoming season. I will not be able to take the words ,"punt...punt...punt team let's go!", after 3 ridiculous, terribly called plays ever again!

(my wife is getting tired of having to replace the protective cover on the big screen...from all of the objects being thrown at it!)

#1 ATTITUDE
-I have already touched on this topic a little and nothing has changed about the game of football. But in my opinion I regard the O-Line positions as some of the toughest in any sport. The combination of mental and physical toughness required to play in "The Most Dangerous Mosh Pit in the America" is second to none.

Now when exactly was the last time you've heard the word "nasty" and a Dolphins O-Lineman in the same sentence? Well I guarantee it wasn't within the past 5 years...the attitude that you want to go out and destroy the man across from you is something that you're born with...it's just like speed...it's a trait that is very hard to manufacture. "Nastiness" is drafted not taught....you can only get a hard-nose line by drafting hard-nosed players and this is where Satele and Mormino fit into the picture.

Now I am not condoning the "bar fight" mentallity as a behavior in your personal life...however, if you're gonna have a winning team it must be a trait in your O-Line's persona. These are two guys that were born with the natural mean spirit you want to protect your QB. In college Satele totalled over 175+ knockdown blocks from the C,G positions. Mormino is well known as a nasty O-Lineman that specialized in demeaning the defender across from him at Central Michigan through his extremely physical play.

Now I am not stupid enough to think that the "bar fight" mentality alone is going to get us to the Super Bowl by any means...but I do know that we will not be on track to get there until we have some guys that have pride and confidence in what they do...two things that these guys are not short on. So I say throw them into the fire and let them cut their puppy teeth with the starting unit from day one....which will probably happen with Satele and the jury is still out on aquiring Kendall from the Jets...but with the unrest I am begininng to see developing with Liewenski, I am not sure how he will respond once we get into camp...hopefully his "attitude" is one of a cagey vet that has been written off to pasture and still has a few tricks up his sleeve! After all the guy is still a Dolphin...therefore I wish all the best to him.

The "attitude" that you came to that stadium to literally kick your opponents *** up and down the field is the only thing that will turn our offense as a whole around...if you don't "know" you can dominate a defense...then you do "know" you can't WIN!!!

#2 PLAY CALLING
-My second and probably most intellectual factor to us getting out of the cellar is the play calling. Gone are the ridiculous bone-headed calls that just set your offense up for failure...like having Ronnie Brown ( a bruising 230lb brahma bull) throwing HB passes from inside of the 10 yard line.....or maybe having a QB drop back and throw into the endzone to a CB that was sitting there from the snap of the ball!

( the kind of play that usually meant it was time for a new tv screen protector!)

This head coach is going to prove to be the best addition to the Dolphin's offense since they forced #13 out into retirement...he plugged a rookie offensive lineman into an O-Line that had the best RB in the league and a green franchise QB...and you see how that worked out for them!

Now I am not trying to say we are anywhere near the team that the San Diego Chargers are presently...but it sure is nice to see some of the moves that are taking place with this organization in order to move closer to playing that type of football!

The Dolphin Faithful have yet to experience such luxuries as having an offense that can make adjustments "on the fly" to take advantage of gaps or breakdowns in defensive coverages or schemes. There will be backup plans for the backup plans and we won't have to wait for halftime to make the simplest of adjustments. We will finally have a head coach that has a true feel for the offensive tempo of the game...knowing precisely when to call the play that catches that CB that's been jumpin' stop routes all day off guard....it's the small things like that that'll make the difference for the offense this season.

"Cam the Jam" came to town amongst a whole lot of fanfare and never dissapointed...I read in an article that escapes my memory that when asked what he was looking forward to doing upon his arrival...he said that he was lookin forward to developing Derek Hagan. Now what the?...that was the last response that I would've expected to come from his mouth to be quite frank, but that is the kind of thought pattern this guy has. We as fans barely make mention of #82 in our daily conversations, yet Cam sees something in this guy that was a major point of his excitement in joining the Dolphins. This kind of insight is what we'll see come Sunday...because if we as fans don't make much mention of the guy then the opposing D-Coordinator probably won't see #82 coming either!

The thing that I like best about Mr. cameron leading our team is his "guts" and frankness when it comes to dealing with the personel on this team. Coming right in to the HC job and cutting McMicheal...like the move or not...you have to say he absolutely knows how to get his teams attention! And beleive you me...Mr. Chambers heard that axe drop "loud and clear"!

We will be a better offense this season because Cam will not "allow" it to be anything other. The man has a very simple philosophy...RB's run hard, read your keys and pick-up your blitzer...O-Lineman BLOCK...WR's and TE's block and CATCH...and QB's rip the heart out of opposing defenses on Sundays!!!......see it's simple.

#3 SPEED

-Now this is going to be the biggest difference in the offense this season. Oh...you wanna send the house on your blitz?...no problem, we just happen to have a screen-left called to Lorenzo Booker...don't mind him as he blows down your sideline with quickness we haven't seen on this team in years!

In case you're unsure as to whom he is, he's a quicker faster version of Leon Washington with exceptional hands to boot. Booker scored over 50+ TDs in high school his senior year...this kid knows how to find the endzone! The FSU coaching staff just had no clue how to use his skill sets to their advantage...a mistake that "Cam the Jam" will not commit...I promise you!

But the prize catch of the draft in my opinion...was Ted Ginn, Jr. I would like to officially go on record as saying the Dolphins organization is extremely lucky to have retained this young man's services (hopefuly for his entire career). If he had run at the combine we never would've had a chance...period!

This guy runs a legit mid 4.2 and has the kind of gifted vision that you don't see often. His 40 yd time is very impressive, but what I'd really like to see is the time for the 2nd 40 yds....it would easily be in the 4.0-4.1 range. Ginn, Jr. can change the momentum in a game at a moments notice and in case you've forgotten...he blew past three of the top DB's in this years draft (all 1st Rounders) for some pretty impressive receptions from the FL position...not to even mention his return skills!

I recently did some research and found out that our top-ranked defense forced over 70+ punts last year....now I ask you as a fellow Dolpfan sittin' next to you on the couch....what do you think Ted Ginn will do with 70+ plus attempts on returns?

This guy is no Wes Welker....coverage teams can't come flying downfield tossing caution to the wind knowing even if Welker breaks loose they can easily run him down....oh noooo!!! If you give this guy any space...you're toast! The smallest of gaps in your coverage technique and it's "off to the races"....and anyone in a foot race with Ginn, Jr. may as well stop off at the water cooler on the 50 yd line for a cool refreshing sip of GatorAde!

I have heard all the flaws as it relates to Ginn, Jr. (ie., can get off the jam and he's too skinny). Well the last time I checked Marvin Harrison wasn't winning any bodybuilding competitions...just Super Bowls! Ginn's size will prove to be irrelevant as you can't hit what you can't catch! You can be assured as well that Cam will move him around alot in order to give him a free release from time to time...and the rest will be history because I have not seen speed and football ability combined like this since Mr. Sanders...the original "Prime Time".

Maybe it sounds funny, but Ginn, Jr. turns the field position game to our favor. Think of how many shanked punts we'll see by guys trying to avoid him...and if they do kick it to him that works to our favor even more. All you had to have done was tuned into the NCAA National Championship football game to see what this guy does on the "Big Stage". His yardage in the return game should assist on offensive possesions where we might've had to punt. He puts us into field position for a possible three and that my friends is how you make the playoffs...points!

How many times last year would you see our inept offense go out on the field and gain only 8 yards...only to walk off the field as our weary defense takes the field on only 4 plays rest?

The offense is the reason we couldn't improve as a team...I don't care how good your defense is...fatigue makes cowards of any man! You have to have energy to play this game and there isn't a defense in the entire NFL that can stay on the field for 75% of the gameclock and not have breakdowns in coverages and play. That's why I see the foundation for a drastic improvement developing....the offense will begin to mold an identity which is what they're lacking at this point. In fact, our offense hasn't had one since #13 retired.

Toss in a threat opposite #99 with a real #55 that still has some legs left and I'd like to see where the QB's we face this year will be hiding. I am no authority on the Dolphins as I am just a fan like yourselves and I do hesitantly throw my words into the ring for your scrutiny. I look forward to all of your responses...good or bad. This thread required alot of work but I don't care because it's a labor of love...a love for the "only" undefeated team in the history of the NFL!

Go Dolphins!

I'll drink to that! :beer1:

Undoubtedly, Ginn will make an impact on ST. If I have any skepticism, it would be on the return unit (sans Ginn) and their blocking. Keith Armstrong is a fine coach, but coaching only goes so far. I think Ginn will be good for the ST unit. You are right on about his vision. The guy simply finds holes and hits them hard! He is not a 'dancer' like Reggie Bush, but his speed and vision compensate considerably. The holes he hits are seemingly impossible. He will be a joy to watch this year.....

#1 ATTITUDE

#2 PLAY CALLING

The thing that I like best about Mr. cameron leading our team is his "guts" and frankness when it comes to dealing with the personel on this team. Coming right in to the HC job and cutting McMicheal...like the move or not...you have to say he absolutely knows how to get his teams attention! And beleive you me...Mr. Chambers heard that axe drop "loud and clear"!

#3 SPEED

Go Dolphins!
I can't say I agree with everything you said, but I do love your passion. I personally think Ginn will be a bust and out of the league in 3 years. I also think he will fumble more of those 70 punts than he will return for 6. I also disagree with Booker being the break away back you think he is. He couldn't do it in college for a big time program, then I don't see him being a big time player in the NFL. He has John Avery written all over him if you want my opinion, but that is why they play the games.
I am not a big Cameron fan. I'm not sure why others are so high on him. He had more weapons than we will ever have at SD and still couldn't put the game away when they had too in the playoffs. He has been surrounded by talent and still couldn't win, now he comes to our team with a rag tag O-line and questions at QB, WR and TE and you think he is gonna take this team to the playoffs?? OK, whatever. My hopes are not as high right now as they were this time last year. I hope I am wrong, but I see this as being a long 7-9 type of season. JMO.

Excellent post! I believe you have hit the nail on the head with Cam's objectives. I also agree with the moves that Cam and Randy have made with the roster changes. The only way we were ever going to improve was with a wholesale makeover on the offensive side of the roster. I also agree with Cam's observations on Hagan, his problems last year were ROOKIE problems.I can't wait to see how this turns out, but, I guess I'll have to for about another month, anyway.

good observations I'm with you (and the team) 100% :cooldude:

I totally agree with you 100% would like to know your thought on John Beck.

I totally agree with what you said, would like to know your thoughts on John Beck

Bravo. I'm all pumped now!!!

Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor, HELL NO !!!!!

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO FINS !!!

Nice post this is why i cant wait for this season I totally agree that our offense is going to be much better this year. The only thing i dissagree with is our d wont have as many three and out this year, I think teams are going to try to score on us more this year because they are going to have too. It seemed like there was alot of games last year we were down by 10 points and the opposition just ran and ran the clock out they didnt try to score much more because they didnt need to. We still will be top ten D just not top 5. I am totally jacked about this season with some Momentum it could be a great year.

god i hope you're right ! year in year out we have lots of hopes ( i.e. aj feeley, culpepper, ricky's return, etc ) who've let us down ... come september we'll know what we're all about

Back
Top Bottom