Austin Jackson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Austin Jackson

How do we use Austin Jackson against the Texans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted to rotate him for a couple series under the conditions (a) Miami has a healthy lead, and (b) Shells’ performance is positive.

If he is “only” incrementally better at RT than Shell, or LG than Jones, then I would argue his highest value to the Phins is as a swing T/G option for the rest of the season since neither Shell nor Jones provides similar position flexibility.

Interesting. I definitely understand the desire not to mess with the current OL group, but I think I’d insert Jackson back at RT. Shell has been better than we ever could have hoped for as a guy we signed off the street, but he still is a guy we signed off the street. And if you believe PFF, he hasn’t been anything special—just solid.

Jackson is mega talented and should be the future of the RT position for us. I’d put him back in and if he struggles, we can always go back to Shell.

I voted to rotate him for a couple series under the conditions (a) Miami has a healthy lead, and (b) Shells’ performance is positive.

If he is “only” incrementally better at RT than Shell, or LG than Jones, then I would argue his highest value to the Phins is as a swing T/G option for the rest of the season since neither Shell nor Jones provides similar position flexibility.

Screw that! Why mess with the current chemistry?

Interesting. I definitely understand the desire not to mess with the current OL group, but I think I’d insert Jackson back at RT. Shell has been better than we ever could have hoped for as a guy we signed off the street, but he still is a guy we signed off the street. And if you believe PFF, he hasn’t been anything special—just solid.

Jackson is mega talented and should be the future of the RT position for us. I’d put him back in and if he struggles, we can always go back to Shell.

Yep! Let’s put him back in so he can miss a block and get our QB killed!

Screw that! Why mess with the current chemistry?
To answer your question, and assuming both conditions mentioned above are met, then the purpose is gauge his effectiveness and readiness going forward.
If he’s superior to Shell, then we have unexpected upside going into our toughest stretch of games. If we get free runners at Tua, we have our answer.

Could Tua get injured? Yes, that’s always a possibility. Though, I doubt Fins coaches would let Jackson play if they felt his insertion would cause a probable injury to Tua. Plus, they can limit the risk in the series with run plays and quick passes.

We’ll have the same scenario if/when Bryon Jones returns.

These are good problems to have!

Stay with rotation we have now, don't fiddle with something that is finally working...Especially now that we're about to hit a tough patch of games soon.

Let him dress, but keep him on the sideline in case we need him, but don't just take one of the starters that has been playing well with the other as a unit, just so we can stick the former 1st round pick that when he was playing, the line still had issues playing together.

Last edited:

Here is my argument against, even though Jackson may have more upside:

It clearly has taken the OL 6-8 weeks to understand their assignments. Jackson has been out most of that time.

Why would you expect him to understand and be able to execute those assignments without those reps?

Here is my argument against, even though Jackson may have more upside:

It clearly has taken the OL 6-8 weeks to understand their assignments. Jackson has been out most of that time.

Why would you expect him to understand and be able to execute those assignments without those reps?
Plus, so far as an NFL player he isn’t good. He may get there but I’m not experimenting at the moment

Back
Top Bottom