Available QB Spotlight: Vince Young | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Available QB Spotlight: Vince Young

Nice writeup and clips. I think you take a chance on Vince Young. He's never been surrounded by a lot of offensive talent at Tennessee and a new start should help him. As you noted, he is incredibly talented and a creative offensive coordinator could really help him limit mistakes. Not a perfect answer, but when you look at all the quarterbacks out there if you can get Vince Young without giving up picks I'd have to say that's a win.

Good read, can't wait for the entire series.

I'm pretty "meh" on VY personally. I get all the off the field and work ethic concerns on one hand but on the other hand he's one of the few options that won't require draft pick compensation AND his stats last year were pretty incredible. If you look at all the guys that have a single season passer rating of 98+, 95% of them are the elite QBs of the league.

Bringing in Young as a starter (for any team - let alone the Fins) next year is a perfect receipe for disaster. I don't think any team in the league is looking to bring him in to start. At this point, he may be a decent back-up type player. Over the long haul however, he just (currently) isn't a starting calibur type QB. Maybe he will be one day, but right now he's just so immature, unintelligent, and insistant upon surrounding himself with people that are not helping him overcome those shortcomings. In a few years, once he matures more (here in Nashville, they thought he would have matured much more by this time), he may be able to get by with his extremely limited intelligence. 2 or 3 years riding the pine might do the trick for him. It's funny that a lot of people mention his troubled relationship with Fischer as the reason for the Titans dumping him. Fischer is gone and yet the Titans want ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with him. Bottom line, if we bring him in and he wins the starting nod, we'll be in good shape to draft Luck next year.

thanks again for the in-depth analysis.

But this potential pick-up of Young reminds me too much of the Daunte Culpepper situation. Too many negatives outweighing the postives about him.

Mind you..what do I know, I thought the Eagles picking up Vick was a farce..he sure turned it around.

While your at it, can you make one of these for Henne just for the heck of it. I would love to see you break down his abilities. (not being a smart ***, this is a real reaquest. )

While your at it, can you make one of these for Henne just for the heck of it. I would love to see you break down his abilities. (not being a smart ***, this is a real reaquest. )

I think I'll do that next.

I'm actually higher on Henne than I think a lot of the people here.

Vince Young is a malignant tumor waiting to metastasize.

I thought the complete review of the OP was slightly more useful than the "malignant tumor" analysis.

V. Young would be a risk, but if he puts his mental problems behind him, potentially a huge upgrade.

I think I'll do that next.

I'm actually higher on Henne than I think a lot of the people here.

I'd like to see that breakdown. I've done a lot of work breaking down Henne's game but there's only so much you can learn without the coaches tape.

Your evaluation on Vince Young on the field I think is pretty spot on to my view of them. The guy is very accurate most of the time and throws a really nice deep ball. The problem with Young is that he's incurably lazy (preventing him from learning how to read defenses) and reacts, uh... let's say not well, when people get in his face or otherwise criticize him. I very much doubt a workaholic like Tony Sparano would sign off on the likes of Vince Young. Very much.

I thought the complete review of the OP was slightly more useful than the "malignant tumor" analysis.

V. Young would be a risk, but if he puts his mental problems behind him, potentially a huge upgrade.

then I guess you never read a Cliff Notes, eh?
But I might agree if "mental problems" are also including a way to boost his IQ, develop a work ethic and be able to execute a playbook that didn't have to be dumbed down for him. Ya think?

Everyone NEEDS to read this before any more commenting on VY. Living in TN and having watched this go down without emotional interest, I can vouch for this article completely:

http://burgundyblog.com/post/5367586151/vince

Also, I'd like to point out that ESPN seems to forget to report all the great things VY has done off the field, like filling in as a father-figure for Steve McNairs kids. This is only one example of many. he even took them to the Pro Bowl with him (to which Vince has been twice btw). But I guess these things aren't as exciting to report as a 23 year old partying with his shirt off (how terrible!!)..

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2010/09/22/young-fills-in-for-mcnairs-kids-again/

Also, on that last link, click the arrow on the lower right for the "Bulluck on VY benching"--It sure rings true with the burgundyblog article, and this is coming from a veteran, respected player who was in that locker room for a long time..

You can say what you want about reading defenses etc, but you don't go 30-17, post a season-long 98 QB rating, make 2 pro-bowls, ROY, and the playoffs, all on a bad team, without being a good QB. He only had 3 INTs this year (w/ 10 TDs)--2 ints against the Steelers (pretty common), and one on a Hail Mary against our vaunted Dolphins D haha--so he can't be that bad at reading coverages. Plus, if you've seen how much he has improved each year in the league, both by eye-test and QB rating, it is really hard to claim that he isn't practicing or working hard enough. The improvement every year has been obvious.
As discussed, his win record is among the best in the entire active NFL (Yes Titan fans, even against .500+ teams he's still near the top), he throws at least a top-5 deep ball (#1 according to that article someone posted and my eyes wouldn't doubt it), and on top of that his biggest strength was/is supposed to be his leadership/intangibles/competitiveness--anyone see his 99-yd 2-minute drill against Arizona to win the game last year? O yeah, and he's pretty athletic too. Get this guy in a supportive situation (ie coach), and he's a franchise QB.

For me, the bottom line is this-- VY is the most proven, most talented (even as a passer), and youngest option available. Despite that, he is the cheapest available. Highest upside+most proven+lowest downside=??

then I guess you never read a Cliff Notes, eh?
But I might agree if "mental problems" are also including a way to boost his IQ, develop a work ethic and be able to execute a playbook that didn't have to be dumbed down for him. Ya think?

All you need to do is win. Which he's done.

All you need to do is win. Which he's done.

2buufa-1.jpg

and yet it looks like despite that, Charlie Sheen is still gonna be replaced by Ashton Kutcher. So maybe not :idk:

I have watched most every VY game since college. Some good analysis here, but some major weaknesses.

First, you failed to mention the progression of his passing since his rookie year, which is on par with most other successful NFL QBs.

Not counting 2008 where he only started one game, here are his QB ratings since '06:

2006: 66.7
2007: 71.1
2009: 82.8
2010: 98.6

He is obviously a much improved passer the past two years, with an 88.8 passer rating since being reinserted as the starter in 2009.

Second, Vince threw only 3 INTs in 2010 and was in the Top 5 in QB rating before he got injured for the season. To make your "point" about not reading defenses and making poor decisions you used two clips from VY's worst game of the season, against the Steelers who are one of the toughest defenses out there. With all due respect, treating his worst game as a representative sample is weak and contrived. In fact, it makes it hard to respect your analysis as objective. He only had one other INT all year!

If he can't read defenses, how did he get a 98.6 passer rating last season? Why did he have a 10:3 ratio of TDs to INTs? And why did you need to use his only really poor game all season to make your point?

Sorry, I don't buy it. VY has some of the best football instincts I have ever seen in a player. It is not just his release that is quick. He sees things quickly and reacts quickly.

Watch this 2-minute drive and tell me again he can't read defenses:

[video=youtube;E88xjcUSKWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E88xjcUSKWQ&feature=related[/video]

Nice writeup and clips. I think you take a chance on Vince Young. He's never been surrounded by a lot of offensive talent at Tennessee and a new start should help him. As you noted, he is incredibly talented and a creative offensive coordinator could really help him limit mistakes. Not a perfect answer, but when you look at all the quarterbacks out there if you can get Vince Young without giving up picks I'd have to say that's a win.

You're kidding right? His OL has annually been one of the best in the league and he had Chris Johnson for the last 3 years and Kenny Britt for the last 2. He's also had a SB caliber defense backing him up that he couldn't get the job done with.

Make no mistake I've watched a lot of VY, and he's played some of his best games against the Texans, but the bottom line is he's a magic moron. He will make plays that will absolutely destroy a defense and make the OC look like a genius. . . only to to turn around and throw it right to a safety 2 plays later. He's crumbled against almost every good defense that he's faced, and for the most part he's going to be a stop gap. If you want VY to continue to Just Win Games you're going to need a defense that was as good as the Titans were when Haynesworth was a monster and not a fat lazy POS.

Back
Top Bottom