Available QB Spotlight: Vince Young | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Available QB Spotlight: Vince Young

All these posts saying VY can't read defenses and throws a pick every other play are ignoring the fact he had a 10:3 TD to INT ratio and a Top 5 passer rating last year.

I think VY gets a bum rap. He has proven his ability as an NFL QB since coming back as starter in '09. Look at the 2-minute drive vs Arizona in '09 if you need proof. It's all over YouTube.

You're kidding right? His OL has annually been one of the best in the league and he had Chris Johnson for the last 3 years and Kenny Britt for the last 2. He's also had a SB caliber defense backing him up that he couldn't get the job done with.

Make no mistake I've watched a lot of VY, and he's played some of his best games against the Texans, but the bottom line is he's a magic moron. He will make plays that will absolutely destroy a defense and make the OC look like a genius. . . only to to turn around and throw it right to a safety 2 plays later. He's crumbled against almost every good defense that he's faced, and for the most part he's going to be a stop gap. If you want VY to continue to Just Win Games you're going to need a defense that was as good as the Titans were when Haynesworth was a monster and not a fat lazy POS.

First, he had CJ for only 2 half-years, I'd guess around 17 games total (Vince only started one game in 2008, and was behind Collins for the 0-6 Titans in 2009). Second, Britt is only in his second year in the NFL. True, he probably WILL be a star, but he isn't there yet. His rookie year he didn't even start over jokers like Justin Gage and Nate Washington. And other than those Britt/CJ, who has Vince had? Bad TEs, FatDale White at RB, and his top receivers include studs like Roydell Williams, Brandon Jones (who?), Justin Gage, and Nate Washington (Pitts 3rd wr before TN), etc. Basically no one.

And the performance against good teams/defenses argument doesn't hold up either, even though the naysayers love to use it. Good defenses/teams are good teams for a reason. They make all qbs do worse. Sure his record against .500+ teams is "only" 13-14, but let's compare that to other NFL QBs...you'll find that this percentage is (again) near the best in the league.
Just a few quick ones to compare:

Peyton Manning 42-16
Tom Brady 30-12
Ben Roethlisburger 24-19
Mark Sanchez 10-8
Drew Brees 24-24
Philip Rivers 24-24
Matt Ryan 14-14
Donovan McNabb 21-22
Joe Flacco 15-16
Vince Young 13-14******
Tony Romo 18-20
Mike Vick 8-9
Brett Favre 19-23
David Garrard 19-25
Eli Manning 23-31
Aaron Rodgers 11-16
Kerry Collins 9-14
Matt Schaub 12-20
Jay Cutler 14-24
Matt Cassel 8-15
Carson Palmer 14-31

I have read some pretty convincing arguments on him but I don't know. If he could be gotten cheap, then it would not be so bad.

as for vince young. If we were strictly looking at skill set and affordability he would be my number one pick. Unfortunately you just never know how this dude is going to behave. It would be a major risk however if he could keep his head on straight i feel he would be a perfect fit for the run happy sparano.

Short answer: No! He doesn't have what it takes between the ears to ever be an elite QB in this league!

That is true, but you can win playoff games with him. You need a good defense, and you need good skill players at WR. Young would actually make Marshall and Bess deadly because of his quick release.

Back
Top Bottom