Awesome article on Dolphins Rebuild (The Ringer) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Awesome article on Dolphins Rebuild (The Ringer)

Winning long-term is difficult. That's the real challenge. I love the moves Miami made in free agency, but most are on on short-term contracts.

There's a bit of a catch 22 there. If a player performs well, like Ogbah, his two year $15 million contract is a bargain. But he will deserve to be paid after 2021. Same with some other players.

So, while the Dolphins continue to put the finishing pieces together (offensive fire power mostly), the challenge will be to keep good players, or identify cheaper solutions.

That's going to be the next step for Grier and Flores. Fortunately, the salary cap with such a young team should give Miami the time to build.
If I am Miami I take the offensive with Ogbah brother, and sweeten his deal for his performance. This will go a long way with him, other players, and perspective Miami Dolphin players.

Yes, on Ogbah.

Since he is only signed for one more year. He is EXACTLY the right guy with whom to renegotiate. Generally, I hate to negotiate contracts when a player is at their highest value, but in the case of a pass-rusher, I'm forced to make an exception.

Article is fine and all the real solution we have been waiting for is the right coach. Consider not only all the players we churned through last year but also the coaches. The constant has been Florres. Really it usually takes a veteran team a few games at least to acclimate itself to a new position coaching change on offense and defense. How many fans have been critical of the hire of old Chan Gailey and here we are churning along on offense this year with a majority of of our playmakers on IR.
It's pretty amazing still that we won the games we did last year with the constant player churn.

If I am Miami I take the offensive with Ogbah brother, and sweeten his deal for his performance. This will go a long way with him, other players, and perspective Miami Dolphin players.
Agree, but they can't add more than 2 more years. Need to plan for an extension of Tua and they'll need flexibility at that time.

Purge or Tank if semantics help you feel better the roster was dissected with the long term goal of acquiring the best QB prospect and the plan was executed to perfection gaining even more picks in the process
There is how i understand it. Purge is roaster management. Tank is game day/week management.

Winning long-term is difficult. That's the real challenge. I love the moves Miami made in free agency, but most are on on short-term contracts.

There's a bit of a catch 22 there. If a player performs well, like Ogbah, his two year $15 million contract is a bargain. But he will deserve to be paid after 2021. Same with some other players.

So, while the Dolphins continue to put the finishing pieces together (offensive fire power mostly), the challenge will be to keep good players, or identify cheaper solutions.

That's going to be the next step for Grier and Flores. Fortunately, the salary cap with such a young team should give Miami the time to build.

I would expect them to let Ogbah walk and continue to hunt around for reclamation projects on short term deals.

Maybe. They will likely be able to afford to keep a few guys.

I'm sure they'll have the room to re-sign him. I just don't see them paying a premium for a player of his caliber at his position. If he puts up a couple of double digit sack years he'll be asking for 4+ yrs and 70+ mil guaranteed. And that's assuming the cap doesn't spike in 2022.

I like Ogbah and hes had a great season but hes a clear step below the elites at his position. I think pretty much the worst thing you can do when seeking long term success as a franchise is overpaying for mediocrity.

I'm sure they'll have the room to re-sign him. I just don't see them paying a premium for a player of his caliber at his position. If he puts up a couple of double digit sack years he'll be asking for 4+ yrs and 70+ mil guaranteed. And that's assuming the cap doesn't spike in 2022.

I like Ogbah and hes had a great season but hes a clear step below the elites at his position. I think pretty much the worst thing you can do when seeking long term success as a franchise is overpaying for mediocrity.
He's a pretty complete player, though. Good against both the run and pass. But Miami will have a limit on how much they will pay.

If they continue with the Patriots model, we'll see good players leaving that other teams will overpay in free agency.

The Dolphins struggles in finding pass rushers in the draft is another factor that has to be considered.

Back
Top Bottom