Baker and Dolphins Contract Extensions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baker and Dolphins Contract Extensions

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

The signing of Baker means one less player scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next offseason, but the Dolphins still have 21 of those players.

The most prominent of the group include defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah, tight end Mike Gesicki, wide receiver Albert Wilson, tight end Durham Smythe, and wide receiver Will Fuller V.

Fuller is among the 13 veteran newcomers who joined the Dolphins this offseason on one-year contracts. For anybody wondering, yes, that is a very high number.

Most of there guys will be allowed to walk.

We only have two or three players who we are really considering for anything but vet minimum work.

Extended:

Ogbah...

Skura may stick, depending on his performance this season.

Gesicki because he's ascending.

Fuller because he gives us another deep ball threat

Fluker...depending on his salary "demands"

Coleman may go or may stick...depending on how Flores views him/Needham/Holland in the slot.

Hitting free agency. Hopefully they sign elsewhere for a decent amount:

Everyone else...namely:

Gesicki...depending on how Flores views Long.

Needham/Coleman...depending how Holland plays in the slot. I imagine well.

Smythe...the UDFA from Bama may be able to do his job.

Collectively known as Ogbah, Fuller, Mike G and the JAGS. I'd be pretty shocked if we extend Ogbah. He'll probably want to get paid and his production really dropped 2nd half of the season.

Last edited:
The money is there, IF Miami chooses to extend anyone else. Gesicki, Ogbah and Fuller. Potentially all are, looking at around $10m plus. If Miami were to restructure Jones' contract, that'll save somewhere around $9m, giving the team an additional cushion, if needed. I'd like to see Ogbah and Fuller play out the season, before Miami attempts any resigning. Got to see if Ogbah can repeat his 2020 performance, minus the last 7-8 games of the season, where he was held without a sack.

Fuller just needs to prove his value as a deep threat and stay off the juice. Perhaps there's an extension or resigning in his future?

As for Gesicki, only Miami truly knows what will happen. I'd absolutely love for the franchise to sign him long term.

If Miami truly is following the NE mantra, they may have already decided to let them walk and take whatever comp picks they'd get in return. The 2022 cap increase could very well be a huge one; allowing teams the room to operate. So there is potential and hope Miami can work out new contracts with their F/A's?

If I were GM (thank God I'm not LOL):

Extend Gesiki very soon. Then play wait and see on Ogbah (production) and Fuller (health and production). Also see how X plays this year and his health. and how IGB plays. I might consider trading X if the offer was right and IBG plays well.

The least likely to get extended off the cuff to me is Fuller.

His intention is to audition for top 5 WR money. Miami’s intention is to keep him on a one year rental.

If he struggles for any reason, it reminds you of his hot and cold career… if he lights it up, he’s gonna be expensive… either way, he’s gone next year no matter what.

Only one I would extend before the season is Gesiki, let the rest play the year out. TEs don’t break the bank and I’ll happily take a 3rd or 4th round comp pick if Ogbah or Fuller do get huge deals. In all likely hood they won’t, which would give us a chance to resign them.

Who will Miami franchise tag, gesicki, ogbah or fuller?
I’d say Gesiki. The money would make sense even on a 1 year (Edited: Franchise tag) deal and if he does that well where we tag him then they will likely want to work a long term deal out.

Last edited:
The money is there, IF Miami chooses to extend anyone else. Gesicki, Ogbah and Fuller. Potentially all are, looking at around $10m plus. If Miami were to restructure Jones' contract, that'll save somewhere around $9m, giving the team an additional cushion, if needed. I'd like to see Ogbah and Fuller play out the season, before Miami attempts any resigning. Got to see if Ogbah can repeat his 2020 performance, minus the last 7-8 games of the season, where he was held without a sack.

Fuller just needs to prove his value as a deep threat and stay off the juice. Perhaps there's an extension or resigning in his future?

As for Gesicki, only Miami truly knows what will happen. I'd absolutely love for the franchise to sign him long term.

If Miami truly is following the NE mantra, they may have already decided to let them walk and take whatever comp picks they'd get in return. The 2022 cap increase could very well be a huge one; allowing teams the room to operate. So there is potential and hope Miami can work out new contracts with their F/A's?
If Baker just signed for $13 million a year, I doubt any of the three you mentioned above are going to be looking to sign for anything lower than that.

Gesicki is probably looking to be paid as a top 5 TE in the league and presently the top 5 TE’s in the league average nearly $13 million dollars a year. With the salary cap expected to rise quite a bit next off season, he might even be looking to sign a contract north of $14 million a year. I just don’t know if the Dolphins want to spend that type money on a TE who is basically one dimensional because of his inability to provide much blocking in the running game.
‘If Long comes in and plays as well as the Dolphins believe he can, I think they will let Gesicki walk in free agency instead of signing him for the money he likely is looking for in free agency.

If Ogbah comes in next season and plays the entire year the way he did in the first half of the 2020 season, he will obviously be looking to sign a huge contract in free agency. If he plays like he did over the latter half of the 2020 season, I think the Dolphins will be looking to upgrade at his position in the draft or in free agency next off season. Right now they probably want to see how he plays next season and I will be surprised if they try and extend him prior to this coming season.

Fuller signed a one year contract in an attempt to prove he could play an entire season and stay healthy. If he comes in and is able to play at a high level over the entire season and stay healthy, he will likely be looking to sign a new contract that will pay him far more than the $10 million dollars he will be paid in 2021. The average contract for the top 10 WR’s in the NFL at this time is also $20 million dollars a year. So unless Fuller comes in and gets hurt again or puts up very mediocre numbers, I suspect he will be looking to sign a new contract that will pay him in the $15-20 million dollars a year range after next season.

If the Dolphins thought they could sign any of these three players for the $10 million a year you estimated they might sign for, they would probably be happy to sign them to an extension for that amount. Unfortunately I think it is very likely all of them will be looking to be paid quite a bit more than $10 million a year after next season. Hopefully all three of these players have great seasons in 2021 and the Dolphins are able to sign them all to new contracts. Yet it won’t surprise me if they all leave in free agency if they are looking to sign for the type of money the Dolphins just don’t believe they are worth.

Collectively known as Ogbah, Fuller, Mike G and the JAGS. I'd be pretty shocked if we extend Ogbah. He'll probably want to get paid and his production really dropped 2nd half of the season.

Shocked? If you let him go then what do you have to replace him?

Back
Top Bottom