Barnwell: Why You Can Throw Out Rosen's 2018 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barnwell: Why You Can Throw Out Rosen's 2018

Are you old enough to remember that Marino was drafted onto a conference champion, Super Bowl losing team?

Arizona was the leagues worst team... apples and oranges.
Yes. And that team’s offense was anemic and the team was going nowhere fast. My point was “only if” it was that could happen again. Guy was never a “rookie”.

Sorry Vaark, just another fallen soldier to add to the list. There is nothing he showed his rookie season that even sniffs elite. Worst thing is we will pass on qb next draft.
Do you think fans were saying the same about Manning, Elway and Aikman after their first years?

Didn’t read yet, but it only took about 10 throws for the world to see Dan Marino was for real.
How many throws did it take Aaron Rodgers?

This is an interesting watch. He had a lot of work to do when he first came into the league

Watch Murray come in this year, rally the Cards as a rookie, and completely lay waste to this whole “the team was too bad for Rosen to function” narrative.

The 2019 season got more interesting that’s for sure

Do you think fans were saying the same about Manning, Elway and Aikman after their first years?

It took Aikman like 4-5 years to prove he should be the uncontested starter. He actually had to backup the first time the Cowboys made the playoffs in his tenure, I believe to Steve Beurlein. Wasn't he 1-15 his first season?

Watch Murray come in this year, rally the Cards as a rookie, and completely lay waste to this whole “the team was too bad for Rosen to function” narrative.

The 2019 season got more interesting that’s for sure
No it wouldn't Murray doesn't have the coaching staff Rosen had with a fired OC in the first 7 days also his entire O line on IR halfway through the season and etc... did you even read the article? Murray coming in to a completely different team and situation won't prove anything.

Didn’t read yet, but it only took about 10 throws for the world to see Dan Marino was for real.
Didn't Marino play on a team his rookie year that was just in the Super Bowl?

Let's just keep it REAL and say Rosen has a LOT to prove
and now he's (hopefully) got a stable situation to make
his mark.

But hold your horses before you make any definitive
"he's awesome what a steal..." kinda declarations!

I'll believe it
when I see it!

Yes. And that team’s offense was anemic and the team was going nowhere fast. My point was “only if” it was that could happen again. Guy was never a “rookie”.

It was anemic primarily due to David Woodley...they did not have the issues the 2018 cardinal had, not even close. All 5 starting O-lineman we’re injured...coordinator fired after 6 games. Rosen got hammered.

I don't think such a thing exists in the NFL, especially at a position so dependent on everyone else around them. There are plenty in the "obviously talented" category. Palmer, Alex Smith, Stafford, Bradford all looked the part, won at a high level in college, and for a good portion of their pro careers looked like they didn't deserve to be in the league. Then you have those borderline prospects like Montana and Brady who find the perfect situation and become all time greats.

Rosen looks the part. Maybe not quite Aaron Rodgers level but physically everything is there for him to perform at a high level.

Not saying he is Tom Brady, or that he will succeed, but he has a similar skill set to Brady and the intelligence, technique.

He seems like a good prospect for the Patriot Offense.

Let's just keep it REAL and say Rosen has a LOT to prove
and now he's (hopefully) got a stable situation to make
his mark.

But hold your horses before you make any definitive
"he's awesome what a steal..." kinda declarations!

I'll believe it
when I see it!

Absolutely, but as an excellent prospect he was a steal because we paid a small price in picks and salary. Like all “prospects” he has to prove he can do it.... but a great gamble by Miami.

Great article by Barnwell. I think you have to factor in his rookie year while understanding the context (bad situation), so I disagree that you should throw it out. Rosen was always a QB that needed a good situation (much like Goff and Haskins). It was no surprise to see him struggle in Arizona, but I did view him as a 1st Round QB, because he has the tools to succeed in an advantageous situation. There are only so many QB's who can do that (certainly less than 32).

You can see in the chart above that Rosen is most accurate (relative to other QB's) in the 11-20 yard range and that he was more accurate (according to the chart) in the 16-20 yard range than any QB over the last two drafts, and that should suit a NE-style Offense.

The idea that he would have been QB1 in this class is pure nonsense, but he would have been right there with Haskins fighting for QB2. At the price Miami paid, that's too good to pass up. I hope Miami is able to develop the OL, though, because he really does need a good situation to be a quality player. That's where the deal and the Wilkins pick break down for me.

Great article by Barnwell. I think you have to factor in his rookie year while understanding the context (bad situation), so I disagree that you should throw it out. Rosen was always a QB that needed a good situation (much like Goff and Haskins). It was no surprise to see him struggle in Arizona, but I did view him as a 1st Round QB, because he has the tools to succeed in an advantageous situation. There are only so many QB's who can do that (certainly less than 32).

You can see in the chart above that Rosen is most accurate (relative to other QB's) in the 11-20 yard range and that he was more accurate (according to the chart) in the 16-20 yard range than any QB over the last two drafts, and that should suit a NE-style Offense.

The idea that he would have been QB1 in this class is pure nonsense, but he would have been right there with Haskins fighting for QB2. At the price Miami paid, that's too good to pass up. I hope Miami is able to develop the OL, though, because he really does need a good situation to be a quality player. That's where the deal and the Wilkins pick break down for me.

So those stats represent what? Their college careers? Their last season in college? Their best season? I assume he's not comparing the '17 class in their rookie years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom