Barry Jackson: Dolphin Tidbits | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Dolphin Tidbits

pillBOXhat

Practice Squad
Reaction score
June 5 tidbits from Barry:

### Rookie tight end Dion Sims got some first-team reps opposite starter Dustin Keller this week, but the other young tight ends (Charles Clay, Michael Egnew, Kyle Miller) have had more opportunities in the passing game than Sims. And it’s impossible to judge Sims’ blocking in OTAs, where contact is not permitted. But he’s considered the best blocker of the group.
### Egnew has consistently created separation in the middle of the field in OTAs, and though there have been a couple drops, he also has made some impressive catches.
“I see the same things that you do and it makes us feel more confident about his abilities that he is starting to understand his role in the offense better,” Joe Philbin said. “And maybe we know a little bit more about him to so we put him in a position where he can make some more of those types of plays. It’s been encouraging.”
### Koa Misi is trying to get the two new linebackers, Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler, up to speed about the defensive system, and it’s taking time, which is understandable.
Misi was the one linebacker starter the Dolphins didn’t replace. Among the reasons for that:
“We loved his play speed,” Philbin said. “We thought he played the game the right way. On defense you have to be decisive, you have to be physical, you have to tackle well and he does those things that a good old fashion defensive player does. He pursues to the ball, those things are still important in this defense and I like the way he plays the game.

“[Defensive coordinator] Kevin Coyle and I were commenting on him last week. He was on a play away and nobody really blocked him and sometimes you don’t really have the outside linebacker blocked on a run play, but we were watching tape and there he is just moving fast, he is a fun guy to coach.”
### The Dolphins continue to experiment with numerous potential punt returners who can handle the job primarily or share it with Marcus Thipgen.
Among those handling punts this week: Lamar Miller, Brian Hartline, Brent Grimes, Brandon Gibson and undrafted rookie receiver Jasper Collins.
### Rupert Bryan, who was an offensive tackle at FIU, is struggling in some aspects of his transition to fullback. He dropped two easy catches at Monday’s OTA.
### ESPN did a viewer poll on Wednesday asking who will be the breakout player of 2013. Ryan Tannehill won, for whatever that’s worth.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Thought Misi was excellent last season, a well improved plauer with a bright future.

Koa Misi was a standout performer on the defense last year believe it or not. But the praise from the coaches would seem to imply they're at least thinking of keeping him around longer term, which would have some interesting implications toward how they think about Dion Jordan.

I thought Misi was a solid player too, in view of what they asked him to do. That's what I think trips people up. People don't see sexy plays so some fans say "he sucks." Not true.

What's really telling is what Philbin said. Look at his exact words, to wit:

· played the game the right way
· good old fashion defensive player
· like the way he plays the game
· he is a fun guy to coach

I mean, these are teacher's pet type of words here. I'd bet he's getting re-signed barring some new development.

As for Wheeler, I gotta say I am in the camp that's scratching my head on his cap number even if he is solid. I mean, the delta between Wheeler and Burnett doesn't seem much although you are getting younger legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Misi was very solid last season. He was great against the run and was making some very hard hits on people. I remember him missing the 9ers game and I really noticed his absence in our run defense. He may never turn into the pass rusher we all hoped, but he holds a lot of value on this team.

The Misi comments are interesting. I always thought he was pretty good against the run, but a BIG liability in pass coverage for us. I still feel he's a two down LB, but what do I know, I don't invest the amount of time like our coaches do when reviewing players, but I like what I'm hearing about him. I can't wait for the pads to come on so we can start reading the camp reports.

That Koa Misi was praised isn't surprising. I've said it a while now, for the snaps he played at linebacker, he was one of the best overall performers on the defense. What's interesting is the choice of words, which Austin Tatious broke down very well.

Not gonna lie I became a massive Koa Misi fan early on last year. Hope he grows even further.

I felt as if he improved quite a bit last year but I didn't realize how highly the coaching staff thought of it. We should be so lucky to have the rest of our youngsters develop so well.

Koa Misi was a standout performer on the defense last year believe it or not. But the praise from the coaches would seem to imply they're at least thinking of keeping him around longer term, which would have some interesting implications toward how they think about Dion Jordan.

I like Misi a lot, and was thinking the same thing. I see Jordan as a 3-4 OLB/Joker, and could go with Misi moving inside and/or getting snaps as a 4-3 DE as well. I would very much like to keep him.

I like Misi a lot, and was thinking the same thing. I see Jordan as a 3-4 OLB/Joker, and could go with Misi moving inside and/or getting snaps as a 4-3 DE as well. I would very much like to keep him.

They just gave $61 million in contracts to Dannell Ellerbe and Phil Wheeler. Even if the Dolphins move to more of a 3-4, how do you get 5 linebackers on the field in a 3-4 defense? Lest we forget about Cameron Wake.

Misi did very well in the condensed games. Surprisingly well, often standing out as among our most aggressive and rugged defenders. He was less noticeable in the games that unfolded "normally," if that makes any sense. A team that scores 18 points per game relies on condensed games.

Based on our schedule, and the new offensive personnel with a second-year coach and quarterback, I'd expect fewer condensed games. The defensive style and effectiveness run opposite of the offensive approach. You aren't going to be holding the opponent down if your offense is more freewheeling. That's the old NFL, pre-salary cap and pre-Roger Goodell.

I'd expect Misi to level out a bit. But he's certainly praiseworthy and a keeper, a good contrast to Dion Jordan. You can live with Jordan flying around -- to borrow a Randy Shannon phrase -- as long as blue collar types like Misi are out there.

The Cleveland opener should be a condensed game, and a good showcase for Misi, similar to our early season outings last season.

Back
Top Bottom