Barry Jackson Notes on Hickey | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Notes on Hickey

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

It would be interesting to add Blount to the backfield. With Miller it would be a nice mix up.

Seems like Hickey is somewhat innovative with the use of technology. That is neat.

I love that he seems to be BPA. I hate Ireland filling needs all the time. You lose good players that way.

Barry Jackson said:
Former Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland said he liked to “marry” a team need with the best player available in deciding whom to select in the first round of the draft. But Hickey said he believes in strictly taking the best player available and will rank players 1 through 500 before the draft.

This is going to make a lot of arm chair GM's around here very happy. :-)

Question: Which draft philosophy do you prefer? Me? BPA, providing the draft board is set up correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Miami is in a position to take the best player. The roster is not bad, but needs a few upgrades. I think the O line is addressed in free agency an expect them to make a hard run after Brandon Albert assuming he hits the market. Also wouldn't be shocked if they went after Winston again if he hits the market.

This is going to make a lot of arm chair GM's around here very happy. :-)

Question: Which draft philosophy do you prefer? Me? BPA, providing the draft board is set up correctly.

A lot of GM's assiduously talk about selecting the best player available but somehow short term needs seem to trump BPA too often. Many of the players that Ireland selected in the last 2 years were probably BPA. Dion Jordan was definitely the perceived BPA. Time will tell if the performance on the field lives up to the potential evaluated.

Hickey’s character. “He’s got a tremendous work ethic --- strongest I’ve been around,” Dominik said. “He has great integrity, which is very important in this business.”

HAS GREAT INTEGRITY................. thats been missing for 5 years. key in turning this franchise reputation around.

BPA: yeah baby!!!

I am curious to see how the draft plays out this year based on Hickey's philosophy.

To be honest it will be really fun to watch him pick players purely based on his assessment of "best player available".

Sure we have needs, but some of those can be addressed in free agency.

We've been drafting purely based on need for so long now, it would be nice to simply get some really good athletes regardless of position and create competition.

And for the love of God, draft another QB.

The best thing I've always felt with BPA is.... if an area is already a strength, it becomes stronger, and further develops your team as competition increases, not only within said group but other groups also.

E.g. our DL is an alleged strength, BPA ends up us taking a DL in the 1st round, not only does our DL get stronger, but OL due to higher number of better players, thus increasing the quality of reps in practice, and also impacts on LB's as rotation maintains a high level.

The knock on effect of BPA is significant. Not knocking 'fill a need' approach, but would prefer BPA.

Good read! Thanks for sharing.

I think as a general rule of thumb, BPA is the right approach. However, I wouldn't be steadfast in that direction if I had a glaring and specific need that could be addressed.

Good read! Thanks for sharing.

I think as a general rule of thumb, BPA is the right approach. However, I wouldn't be steadfast in that direction if I had a glaring and specific need that could be addressed.

I like that he said there "should not be choices on draft day". He is right. If you grade well, believe in your board you should be ready to run the pick into the commish. Only a trade offer should make you wait some.

BPA is the only way to go. If you evaluate well and stock your team with talented players I think you end up winning in the end. So what if you have a need at LG and you snag a Guard in the second round only to leave a talented skill guy go by?

Free agency is good for needs. As you can get a vet with experience while drafting a player to develop.

As for Blount, I would be all for going after him if we can get rid of Thomas AND Miller. Draft a RB AND a FB.

What I really liked about the Tampa picks is that they were immediate contributors. It doesn't sound like they picked many players that they thought would need to sit a few years before they were capable of playing. If you dont think someone can be an effective starter in the NFL, you dont draft him.

It sounds like Hickey was also active in FA acquisitions, which is news to me.

What I really liked about the Tampa picks is that they were immediate contributors. It doesn't sound like they picked many players that they thought would need to sit a few years before they were capable of playing. If you dont think someone can be an effective starter in the NFL, you dont draft him.

It sounds like Hickey was also active in FA acquisitions, which is news to me.

Yeah but even if he drafts immediate starters we know failbin won't play em much. Coach will prolly have hickeys ear so much, hickey won't even draft immediate starters and just draft developmental players. Ok hopefully it won't be that bad but I've learned not to expect much from this franchise

Yeah but even if he drafts immediate starters we know failbin won't play em much. Coach will prolly have hickeys ear so much, hickey won't even draft immediate starters and just draft developmental players. Ok hopefully it won't be that bad but I've learned not to expect much from this franchise

He wasn't afraid to start a rookie QB. He played Lamar Miller his first year. He also started Jonathan Martin all of last year, and Vernon ha lots of playing time as well. I don't think he's afraid to play rookies, I think he just hasn't had many rookies worth playing.

Philosophy is fine. Its just that Ireland's idea of best player was not to be the majority of the time. Just good to have a new evaluator of talent.

Back
Top Bottom