Barry Jackson Notes on Hickey | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Notes on Hickey

Good read! Thanks for sharing.

I think as a general rule of thumb, BPA is the right approach. However, I wouldn't be steadfast in that direction if I had a glaring and specific need that could be addressed.

Well it's looking like BPA will be a position of need.

As for Ireland for those that mentioned it. The issue was that Ireland did not believe in looking at certain people if they didn't have certain tangibles. If you were undersized, you were off our board.

I don't mind reaching for a player if you believe he'll help you. But don't just take a player because you need that position (Dallas Thomas)

Good read and it will be interesting to see his draft play out. It was usually painful watching Ireland's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 FHD

I love the ridiculousness of everyone during the draft process. At this point, everyone is all in the camp of "draft the best player available ... BPA all day!" Then, the second we draft a player who doesn't fill a need, such as a DE in round 1, everyone screams "what a moron! We need a left tackle dummy!"

Ultimately, taking a much lower rated prospect simply because it is a position of need is a bad move--we all agree on that. But, given our roster, if our first couple of picks are DE and QB, nobody is going to be happy. To a certain extent you need to build a roster positionally. You can't leave all the holes to be filled by high priced free agents or medium priced journeymen. Somehow, a good GM needs to fill or patch those holes. Playing with 5 C's across the OL would be disaster, so if they're the highest rated player every time you pick, you need to either move up/down the board or pick a different position.

So, when Hickey says he's a BPA guy ... I take it with a grain of salt and hope he's just saying that. Sure, if the choice is between a Bruce Smith type guy and a Jim Mandarich guy, I'm taking Bruce Smith 8 days a week and position of need be damned. But reality is that it's rarely that situation. Identify the potential bust players and rate them lower depending upon their boom potential. But, somewhere somehow, we need 3 OL from this draft, at least 1 OT and potentially 2 starters by year 2. Personally, I'd maneuver to get someone like Taylor Lewan in round 1, and I'd be feeling out which teams are realistically looking to trade down and what their asking prices might be. If Jake Matthews slides, that's another target. Kouandijo is another one to keep a close eye on as this process heats up. But let's be clear, the LT position is an expensive and important position, and we need a long levered guy who can be a stalwart along Tannehill's blindside. Going the FA route for that particular position will be extremely expensive, so if you can solve that position in round 1 of the draft you free up a lot of cap space to bring in better FA's for other line spots.

I'm not sold on Hickey. Even his interview sounded scatterbrained. He clearly hasn't formulated any solid plan and he bounces around his thoughts without any real roadmap. That doesn't sound like a superscout or great manager to me ... but I'll hold out until I see his drafts before I formulate an opinion.

that's a good read...does sound like he's got an eye for talent...not really sure why they would pimp that mike james pick though...i like the fact that he seemed to understand the need to trade up for specific targets and the way the board would roll

we will see on the bpa thing over need...i havent really seen much evidence with that for us in the last few years especially when a need position starts getting scooped up pretty quickly...ireland for sure would panic and reach on guys...plenty of evidence of that

pretty ringing endorsement from dominik

I'm not going to put a lot of stock in the Dominik endorsement since the 2 are apparently real tight and Dominik might be angling for a job here if Gaine walks or is let go after the draft.

BPA works for the Dolphins this year, there isn't one position that couldn't use some help

This year-holes must be filled via FA. The draft is later and many FA will be gone if you wait to see if you get the players you want in the draft to fill holes. You pick up 2 tackles in FA, possibly a guard, resign one of our DT, and do what you want with the secondary before the draft. At the draft you take BPA. How can you pass up drafting the next JJ Watt just because you are already deep along the DL. You should always draft BPA, according to your board.

Well I admit ... the BPA part of this article is very encouraging.

I like that he said there "should not be choices on draft day". He is right. If you grade well, believe in your board you should be ready to run the pick into the commish. Only a trade offer should make you wait some.

BPA is the only way to go. If you evaluate well and stock your team with talented players I think you end up winning in the end. So what if you have a need at LG and you snag a Guard in the second round only to leave a talented skill guy go by?

Exactly. Couldn't stand Ireland's style of marrying need with best available. You end up with lower level talent such as Dallas Thomas who should have went on day 3 but was picked in round 3 more than likely because Ireland saw a need at guard and looked for the best available meanwhile bypassing skill players.

His style was so day to day and no long term functionality.

So when we pick in round 1 if both OG Martin and TE Ebron are there who you thing Hickey takes? 90% chance it's Martin who isn't the best player. My opinion of course and FA will have some say in that pick as well. My point is I don't believe we go BPA early in the draft.

So when we pick in round 1 if both OG Martin and TE Ebron are there who you thing Hickey takes? 90% chance it's Martin who isn't the best player. My opinion of course and FA will have some say in that pick as well. My point is I don't believe we go BPA early in the draft.

I would jump on Ebron.

Back
Top Bottom