Barry Jackson Notes on Hickey | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Notes on Hickey

BPA, huh? :bobdole: So bad. So, so bad.

In my heart, I want to believe my phin brothers, my anti patriots compatriots mean to say BPA for a position of need. But my heart jets when the bills in my pocket would bet on you meaning you would actually draft Dion Jordan, again- in this draft.

So bad. So, so bad.

BPA, huh? :bobdole: So bad. So, so bad.

In my heart, I want to believe my phin brothers, my anti patriots compatriots mean to say BPA for a position of need. But my heart jets when the bills in my pocket would bet on you meaning you would actually draft Dion Jordan, again- in this draft.

So bad. So, so bad.

Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I would take BPA over reaching for a 2nd round lineman at 19 out of pathetic desperation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the ridiculousness of everyone during the draft process. At this point, everyone is all in the camp of "draft the best player available ... BPA all day!" Then, the second we draft a player who doesn't fill a need, such as a DE in round 1, everyone screams "what a moron! We need a left tackle dummy!"

Ultimately, taking a much lower rated prospect simply because it is a position of need is a bad move--we all agree on that. But, given our roster, if our first couple of picks are DE and QB, nobody is going to be happy. To a certain extent you need to build a roster positionally. You can't leave all the holes to be filled by high priced free agents or medium priced journeymen. Somehow, a good GM needs to fill or patch those holes. Playing with 5 C's across the OL would be disaster, so if they're the highest rated player every time you pick, you need to either move up/down the board or pick a different position.

So, when Hickey says he's a BPA guy ... I take it with a grain of salt and hope he's just saying that. Sure, if the choice is between a Bruce Smith type guy and a Jim Mandarich guy, I'm taking Bruce Smith 8 days a week and position of need be damned. But reality is that it's rarely that situation. Identify the potential bust players and rate them lower depending upon their boom potential. But, somewhere somehow, we need 3 OL from this draft, at least 1 OT and potentially 2 starters by year 2. Personally, I'd maneuver to get someone like Taylor Lewan in round 1, and I'd be feeling out which teams are realistically looking to trade down and what their asking prices might be. If Jake Matthews slides, that's another target. Kouandijo is another one to keep a close eye on as this process heats up. But let's be clear, the LT position is an expensive and important position, and we need a long levered guy who can be a stalwart along Tannehill's blindside. Going the FA route for that particular position will be extremely expensive, so if you can solve that position in round 1 of the draft you free up a lot of cap space to bring in better FA's for other line spots.

I'm not sold on Hickey. Even his interview sounded scatterbrained. He clearly hasn't formulated any solid plan and he bounces around his thoughts without any real roadmap. That doesn't sound like a superscout or great manager to me ... but I'll hold out until I see his drafts before I formulate an opinion.

Lewan is such a high class individual! He only threatened to rape a girl at Michigan if she filed charges against the player who raped her!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

### Former Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland said he liked to “marry” a team need with the best player available in deciding whom to select in the first round of the draft. But Hickey said he believes in strictly taking the best player available and will rank players 1 through 500 before the draft. He already has done considerable work putting together a draft board because he was involved with that in Tampa Bay.

He said Hickey advocated and was “instrumental” in the drafting of four key players who were outstanding picks in the past two years: impact linebacker Lavonte David (selected 58th in 2012), running back Doug Martin (31st in 2012), quarterback Mike Glennon (73rd in 2013) and former UM running back Mike James (189th in 2013).

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Reading these two excerpts got me excited!

BPA can be very misleading. In most cases when a team's pick comes up, they are going to have 3-4 players rated very close. For example, if you look at first round grades by scouts, you could see one guy with a 90, two guys at 91, and one at 92 at different positions.

So, the guy at 92 is at a position you don't need, and the guy 2 points lower can come in and play right now, you go with the need. IF it's a big reach to fill a need, which very seldom happens, that's a different story.

Minimizing decisions on draft day is easily the most positive tidbit I've seen from Hickey. Every time Jeff Ireland described the draft there was the unmistakable impression that he was flooded with variables to weigh. That should be long gone. Get the work done early and have confidence in it. If that's Hickey's approach I'll be more confident, although I'd appreciate some mention that he prefers early evaluation as opposed to fixating on the final handful of games, or the postseason workouts.

Subjective judgments are a killer. There's simply too much of an added burden. In more than two decades in Las Vegas I've met exactly 2 guys who succeeded long term based almost exclusively on their own opinions as opposed to a systematic approach. And those guys are so secretive that I'm not 100% confident they operate as they claim. They certainly ask enough questions about the systems.

### Former Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland said he liked to “marry” a team need with the best player available in deciding whom to select in the first round of the draft. But Hickey said he believes in strictly taking the best player available and will rank players 1 through 500 before the draft. He already has done considerable work putting together a draft board because he was involved with that in Tampa Bay.

He said Hickey advocated and was “instrumental” in the drafting of four key players who were outstanding picks in the past two years: impact linebacker Lavonte David (selected 58th in 2012), running back Doug Martin (31st in 2012), quarterback Mike Glennon (73rd in 2013) and former UM running back Mike James (189th in 2013).

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Reading these two excerpts got me excited!

I saw that, as well as, he was proud of the trade ups made in the draft. And yet, I read posts here saying he was BANNED from the draft room the last 4 years in TB. How the hell are you "instrumental" in the draft and making trade ups when you're banned? lol

I saw that, as well as, he was proud of the trade ups made in the draft. And yet, I read posts here saying he was BANNED from the draft room the last 4 years in TB. How the hell are you "instrumental" in the draft and making trade ups when you're banned? lol

I think that came from a TB message board. So I'll take the words coming straight from the horses mouth to heart, and the ones from a message board with a grain of salt lol ... Very good that he was willing to take a chance on David, maybe that means players like Jeremy Hill are still in play this year.

I think that came from a TB message board. So I'll take the words coming straight from the horses mouth to heart, and the ones from a message board with a grain of salt lol ... Very good that he was willing to take a chance on David, maybe that means players like Jeremy Hill are still in play this year.

Fascinates me that with enough info on the computer to re-write War And Peace on a weekly basis, anyone wants to go with what Buc's fan said on a message board. lol

Back to being serious. I have no opinion on Hickey, as he has never done this before, and won't until he starts to make some moves, and he has a TON to make.

I agree with that philosophy. That's how championship teams are built. Now the question is; what if the best player available at # 19 is....... a QB?

But seriously, don't every GM say they draft BPA? Its like an OC saying he wants an explosive attack...

But seriously, don't every GM say they draft BPA? Its like an OC saying he wants an explosive attack...

We'll apparently you have never heard of Jeff Ireland. He numerous times mentioned his plan was to marry BPA with need. This was extremely clear on draft day when you see selections that grade out a round lower.

Back
Top Bottom