Barry Jackson on Landry's contract. | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson on Landry's contract.

This is what I would do if I was trying to run a winning franchise:

1. Overpay average players like Kiko Alonso and Andre Branch because they have a good work ethic and high character.
2. Lock up guys with legal trouble like TJ MacDonald.
3. Pay washed up QB's 10 millon bucks to start for me.
4. Never overpay for very productive players like Jarvis Landry.

My team would be great. I think the fans message boards for the team I run would be very happy.

And he was 297th in 8.8 yards per reception average
He averages 10 yards per catch and has more catches in the first four years of any player in history. That means he averages a first down per catch and does it more often then anyone ever. What more can you want from a player smdh. You Landry haters are ****ing delusional

Considering our system of having a mobile QB...I'd say Kaepernick would've been better than Cutler. Hear me out. One Qb wanted to play in the NFL and the other took a job in broadcasting and had to be coerced back.

I don't think we would have done any worse with Kaepernick. Admittedly the guy isn't really a great passer but his dual threat ability can keep defenses honest and pose the occasional threat. Problem with Kaepernick is the guy is toxic in NFL circles. Plus there was even a question mark over whether he wanted to play and some felt football wasn't his focus anymore, and it wasn't until the season had started that he came out and said he was working out and would be ready to play if he got the call. So while it might have been nice to give Kaepernick a go over Cutler, I don't think he was a realistic signing for us or anyone else, and to an extent that might still be the case when free agency opens this year.

Considering our system of having a mobile QB...I'd say Kaepernick would've been better than Cutler. Hear me out. One Qb wanted to play in the NFL and the other took a job in broadcasting and had to be coerced back.

Our system doesn't require a mobile QB. Kaepernick sucks and if he was a good QB I'd be all for signing him.

This is what I would do if I was trying to run a winning franchise:

1. Overpay average players like Kiko Alonso and Andre Branch because they have a good work ethic and high character.
2. Lock up guys with legal trouble like TJ MacDonald.
3. Pay washed up QB's 10 millon bucks to start for me.
4. Never overpay for very productive players like Jarvis Landry.

My team would be great. I think the fans message boards for the team I run would be very happy.

When you say it like that it's very clearly seen there's no vision for building this organization and no talent in evaluating players. No wonder the team stinks!

Think I'll take back what I said. After reading about this few days. Not looking good. Sucks we have to draft a WR #1 pick. Stills average, Parker a bust and Grant below average and Carroo Sucks. Landry gone means we have worst WR core in the game. Think we really need to franchise tag him. 16mil but we can cut James and kiko

Why on Earth would they franchise tag him? All that does is kick the can down the road, and gives them zero leverage. Want to save cap? Cut Timmons, Alonso and Thomas. You're at $30mm free for 2018, and in great shape for 2019. Get your extensions done in 2018 with Phillps and X while they're cheap, and try to sign Landry to a contract that pays him a certain amount guaranteed for three years. Backload it a little so that the bulk of it hits in 2019, and make sure the dead money in 2020 isn't crippling. If it works out for 2018 with Landry? Great. If if doesn't? He's palatable as trade bait again, while still in his prime.

Edit: Well, crap. My original source for Kiko's dead money in 2018 was wrong.

Why on Earth would they franchise tag him? All that does is kick the can down the road, and gives them zero leverage. Want to save cap? Cut Timmons, Alonso and Thomas. You're at $30mm free for 2018, and in great shape for 2019. Get your extensions done in 2018 with Phillps and X while they're cheap, and try to sign Landry to a contract that pays him a certain amount guaranteed for three years. Backload it a little so that the bulk of it hits in 2019, and make sure the dead money in 2020 isn't crippling. If it works out for 2018 with Landry? Great. If if doesn't? He's palatable as trade bait again, while still in his prime.

Edit: Well, crap. My original source for Kiko's dead money in 2018 was wrong.
If we give him what he wants then you're running your offense thru him and that has not worked for the offense. The only way he should be back is for the right price and the offense needs to stop making him it's #1 target

Ozzy rules!!

If we give him what he wants then you're running your offense thru him and that has not worked for the offense. The only way he should be back is for the right price and the offense needs to stop making him it's #1 target

Ozzy rules!!

Disagree. I do not think the offense runs through him, but I think with Tannehill, he's an integral part of it. If the team is confident his actions will not adversely effect the team, then I am of the opinion that they need to find a way to get it done, as long as he's still tradeable in 2018.

You act like they got offers for Landry. Who says they didn't try? None of that makes them incompetent.

I responded directly to someone who said that the rumor was Chicago offered Miami a second round draft pick before the trade deadline. If that is the truth, than I am right, the organization is incompetent.

I don't think we would have done any worse with Kaepernick. Admittedly the guy isn't really a great passer but his dual threat ability can keep defenses honest and pose the occasional threat. Problem with Kaepernick is the guy is toxic in NFL circles. Plus there was even a question mark over whether he wanted to play and some felt football wasn't his focus anymore, and it wasn't until the season had started that he came out and said he was working out and would be ready to play if he got the call. So while it might have been nice to give Kaepernick a go over Cutler, I don't think he was a realistic signing for us or anyone else, and to an extent that might still be the case when free agency opens this year.

When was this reported? I did hear this about Cutler though. When was Kaep ever considered toxic? By whom and for what reason?

Our system doesn't require a mobile QB. Kaepernick sucks and if he was a good QB I'd be all for signing him.

Has he sucked more than Cutler during their careers? Actually I don't even care to discuss Kaep/Cutler anymore. We have Tannehill back and hopefully a competent back up QB going into next season. No more Moore, Cutler or Fales.

Meh, we got nearly the same effect from Brian hartline that we get from Landry. I think we'll be surprised how easy it is to find a semi athletic receiver with good hands that can run routes.

Think I'll take back what I said. After reading about this few days. Not looking good. Sucks we have to draft a WR #1 pick. Stills average, Parker a bust and Grant below average and Carroo Sucks. Landry gone means we have worst WR core in the game. Think we really need to franchise tag him. 16mil but we can cut James and kiko
seeing you say Stills as average......he is the best all around wide receiver on this team and it's not even close.

Meh, we got nearly the same effect from Brian hartline that we get from Landry. I think we'll be surprised how easy it is to find a semi athletic receiver with good hands that can run routes.

So easy he is the first in franchise history with 100+ catches and 8th all time in receiving yards for the team after only 4 years.

Disagree. I do not think the offense runs through him, but I think with Tannehill, he's an integral part of it. If the team is confident his actions will not adversely effect the team, then I am of the opinion that they need to find a way to get it done, as long as he's still tradeable in 2018.
We target him 160 TIMES this year. How is that not running our offense thru him?

Ozzy rules!!

Ozzy rules!!

Honest question. Does Miami intentionally run their offense through Landry or is he the only very good option for our QB because the other receivers stink? Stills IMO is average, maybe slightly above. Parker is below average and the rest aren't worth mentioning. IMO Landry gets so many balls because who else will the QB throw it to?

Back
Top Bottom