Barry Jackson on Landry's contract. | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson on Landry's contract.

1000 and 7 with competent qb play expectations? Sure

He was 100 yards away from that this year without competent qb play.

I think his average ypc bumps back up into that 12 per range too

I have to look at the guy Landry reminds me of....Hines Ward. Imagine if Pit had let him walk after year 4. They would be labeled fools. Landry has obliterated Ward's numbers in his first 4 years. It wasn't until year 5 that Ward showed real improvement. He went from 672/4 to....1329/12 & 1163/10 over the next two years. Ward has a career average of 12.1 yards per catch.

If Ward can improve in year 4 so can Landry. Imagine if he does improve his route running and nuances of the position etc. I have no reason to believe he will not improve.

(BTW he was only 13 yards from 100 this year.)

Landry stays great. Landry leaves the train moves on. Teams can find a way to be successful without Landry, so can the Dolphins.

Either you pay Landry or you pay a pair of FA linemen.

Take into account the Chris Hogan and Wes Welker we lost to the Pats ,2 players that were afterthoughts here and look what they did on a different team. Think Landry wouldn't do a tad better than those guys.

No, I don't think Landry will put up numbers like Welker did while in New England

Sorry, but your reasoning uses really poor analogies. Your Miller analogy capped that off. Letting Miller go has proven to be the right move. He's had two very pedestrian years in Houston. Heck, is longest run last year was 21 yards...RBs have limited shelf lives. You don't overpay RBs. They made Miller an offer, he took the better one. You left out that Miami offer-sheeted Anderson from Denver to replace him but Denver matched it. Getting a vet RB like Foster was a good, low-risk move. Nobody was sure what he had left after the injury the year before. When it was clear he was done, he retired. Ajayi was more productive than Miller as a runner and they didn't "luck out" they drafted him. Just like Drake was a better player than Ajayi, which they DRAFTED.

"Take into account the Chris Hogan and Wes Welker we lost to the Pats ,2 players that were afterthoughts here and look what they did on a different team. Think Landry wouldn't do a tad better than those guys."

Well, he might but Tom Brady's not walking into Miami as far as I can see...So I'm not sure what point you think you're making with this but again, your logic backfires because New England wouldn't pay JL top receiver money - not even close. Again, your analogy is flawed because if NE can use receivers that are "afterthoughts" (although Welker was not quite that in Miami) and uses them effectively, what does that tell you? Even Gronk is only paid $9 million on average and they won the SB last year without him playing. Heck, people talk like Chris Hogan is Randy Moss. He hasn't had more than 40 catches in any of the last three years and he catches balls from Tom Brady.

You cannot lose sight of the forest for the trees. Landry is a slot receiver and nobody pays one $14 million per year. The fact he catches so many balls IS a bad thing because it means the offense has to check down too much to underneath throws. He rarely changes games with his playmaking. He's nil as a deep threat, he takes stupid penalties and is a loose cannon. You have to weigh all that. You don't look him leaving and replace him per se, you look at that $14 million and ask yourself what better use you can make of it in addressing overall needs for the team. There are after all, plenty of other needs.

You and I simply have different history on the Dolphins. First Miller has had a productive seasons for the Texans. He was certainly better than Foster and we probably win 2 of those games last year in the backfield rather than Foster. Yes we absolutely lucked out with Jay Ajayi and after suffering through over a decade in the Shula years of not aquiring a decent running back I can say that with some certainty. We also used a high 3rd on Drake who has proved to be injury prone both in college and the NFL regardeless of his production these past games. So that high 3rd round pick using much of the logic in this thread could have been used on a guard that may have helped the running backs and QBs. Yes Miller and Jay Ajayi in the same backfield along with a great young guard would appeal to me much more than the present option.

As far as Hogan and Welker neither barn burners but highly productive in the Pats system would easily equate to a highly productive Landry in the same system plus probably Laundry would be used on the outside. Really Laundry is being used inside so much because A he is great at it, B because the other recievers are not getting open on the outside or just not willing or able to go inside. C. Our quarterback and offensive line is dictating that is our only option. His ability to break tackles is going to be very difficult to replace even if we find a guy to catch those short passes. Which means more 3 and outs and less wins. Yea I do agree with you on the penalty situation and temper/ fights as a reason to let him go. I just see no replacement on this team for his production currently.

I don't blame Jarvis one bit for looking for maximum pay. It's not like Miami's in a position to sell him on a hometown discount.

Which free agent QB was better than Cutler and available when we needed a new starter? RGIII? Kaepernick?

I don't blame Case for going after a QB he did well with in Chicago. However, I would question him if he went into this season with Cutler and ditched Tannehill and didn't sign or draft anyone else.
Considering our system of having a mobile QB...I'd say Kaepernick would've been better than Cutler. Hear me out. One Qb wanted to play in the NFL and the other took a job in broadcasting and had to be coerced back.

Last edited:
Considering our system of having a mobile QB...I'd say Kaepernick would've been better than Cutler. Hear me out. One Qb wanted to play in the NFL and the other took a job in broadcasting and had to be coerced back.

Haven't we gone over that same point ad nauseum?

Think I'll take back what I said. After reading about this few days. Not looking good. Sucks we have to draft a WR #1 pick. Stills average, Parker a bust and Grant below average and Carroo Sucks. Landry gone means we have worst WR core in the game. Think we really need to franchise tag him. 16mil but we can cut James and kiko

No, I don't think Landry will put up numbers like Welker did while in New England
Really? Then absolutely I understand why you believe why that Landry is close to garbage in your eyes and not worth the money. No reason to discuss further with ya.

Think I'll take back what I said. After reading about this few days. Not looking good. Sucks we have to draft a WR #1 pick. Stills average, Parker a bust and Grant below average and Carroo Sucks. Landry gone means we have worst WR core in the game. Think we really need to franchise tag him. 16mil but we can cut James and kiko

What?

Lol. Put down the pipe. So many things wrong with this...where to start...Actually, I'll pass.

Back
Top Bottom