Barry Jackson on Landry's contract. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson on Landry's contract.

I think people are a little confused about replacing Landry. I'm for letting him go if he was that kind of money so that's on the record but I'm looking at it a different way. First, nobody's going to come in and catch 400 passes in his first 4 years like Landry did, but then again we don't need that. Those 400 catches have given us ONE playoff game in which we got destroyed and no it's not his fault but rather, the way we've been running our offense with him as the #1 target.

We don't need to replace his number of catches with ONE player. The goal is to be a better and higher scoring offense and that can happen without him. Why can't we have a slot come in that gets 50 catches while a new TE gets another 40 to 50 and Parker and Stills and Grant get more targets?

Some might remember Earl Weaver of the Baltimore Orioles. He used to say this about a singles hitter and a Home run hitter.
"a guy can go 3 for 4 and the 3 are all singles and he drives in ONE run"
"the other guy goes 1 for 4 but drives in 3 runs with a home run"
which one would you rather have?

What we need is to score more by getting more chunk plays and by being balance with running and passing.
100 catches look nice but the main thing is to score more and that will not happen by targeting him 160 TIMES a year
He's a good player but running the offense thru him has not and will not get us to the super bowl

Ozzy rules!!

Landry’s latest tweet likens his situation to Ricky Jarrett on Ballers. In that show, he was a FA that had a deal to play for New England (ended up not going there bc he was diagnosed as bi-polar).

That would be some **** if he goes there.

wow
not a real expert on how teams manage negotiations, but really seems the Dolphins FO is doing it really badly.

Can't think that not sitting out of OTA on training camp last year and playing last year for less than 1 mln is not a thing that gives you any value.

I think Landry has been very classy (till now) and our team's FO hasn't been at all. Armando's article has Miami Dolphins written all over it

We don't need to replace his number of catches with ONE player. The goal is to be a better and higher scoring offense and that can happen without him. Why can't we have a slot come in that gets 50 catches while a new TE gets another 40 to 50 and Parker and Stills and Grant get more targets?

I agree with your thinking about Landry. What's better for the team: the best slot playing (not saying he is, but let's just play this out) vs. 3 or 4 cohesive pieces all playing above average and keeping the defense guessing?

He just doesn't impact the game in the same way as having the best outside receiver would.

Some might remember Earl Weaver of the Baltimore Orioles. He used to say this about a singles hitter and a Home run hitter.
"a guy can go 3 for 4 and the 3 are all singles and he drives in ONE run"
"the other guy goes 1 for 4 but drives in 3 runs with a home run"
which one would you rather have?

What we need is to score more by getting more chunk plays and by being balance with running and passing.
100 catches look nice but the main thing is to score more and that will not happen by targeting him 160 TIMES a year
He's a good player but running the offense thru him has not and will not get us to the super bowl

Ozzy rules!!

Actually, that's the crux of moneyball. It turns out (at least for a while until everyone adjusted), if you coupled a bunch of singles hitters with a bunch of single hitters that are reliably getting on base, they are better than the home run hitter.

The question for us: if we built our receivers around Landry, what's the rest of the receiver room have to look like for it to work? Can we form a cohesive unit that the defensive coordinators can't scheme us into ineffectiveness? Also, how exposed would we be if Landry got hurt (e.g., if we put the money into keeping Landry, would the entire receiver strategy run through him and if he was off the field, we're screwed?).

We want a little of both between time killing dink and dunk drives with the constant threat of a chunk play to keep the defense honest.

Reportedly the Bears offered a 2nd on trade deadline. Honestly, I can only see them being more desperate now.

They fired Fox but their GM is still there on a HOTTER seat now.

Why the hell didn't Miami take that offer? I sure would have. So would have a smart team like New England.

Why the hell didn't Miami take that offer? I sure would have. So would have a smart team like New England.

Cause we didn't want to finish 4-12? Gase and Tbaum wanted to keep their jobs. What's the point on pulling a Sashi Brown if Dorsey will get all the credit?

Because they either have no intention to let Landry leave or they are complete ****ing morons.

I will keep my money away from this one.

short-sighted seems to be a good description of the dolphins in recent memory....that term is being generous to this particular situation

Cause we didn't want to finish 4-12? Gase and Tbaum wanted to keep their jobs. What's the point on pulling a Sashi Brown if Dorsey will get all the credit?

It was obvious, by the trade deadline, that this team was dead in the water. So instead of going 4-12 they went 6-10. Big difference. Because they were too stupid to trade him at the deadline for a decent draft pick, they are now faced with the decision of over paying Landry, or letting him walk for nothing. Just plain incompetent.

Because they either have no intention to let Landry leave or they are complete ****ing morons.

I will keep my money away from this one.
Well I gotta believe they are not ****ing morons.......that tells me landry is going nowhere.

It was obvious, by the trade deadline, that this team was dead in the water. So instead of going 4-12 they went 6-10. Big difference. Because they were too stupid to trade him at the deadline for a decent draft pick, they are now faced with the decision of over paying Landry, or letting him walk for nothing. Just plain incompetent.
We're definitely gonna get a sound 3rd round comp. selection from it, so we'll live.

Stop talking like Landry is gone. He will be a Dolphin for sure. This talk is non sense.

People need to understand we have an offensive minded coach who thinks he can scheme production. While we're not that confident on defense.

We'll see how well that turns out.

Back
Top Bottom