Barry Jackson Sports Buzz - 02/09/14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Sports Buzz - 02/09/14

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...changes-goldens-defense-on-donofrio-heat.html

A lot of tidbits on young Dolphins players and a few interesting items on the GM search.

### Jelani Jenkins: The staff likes his ability in pass coverage. He took 29 snaps away from Phillip Wheeler in the Week 15 Patriots game but played just five and four defensive snaps to close the season against the run-heavy Bills and Jets.

“He has the potential to be a weakside linebacker starter and can be a starter when you open in a nickel package,” the Dolphins official said. “Finding a good cover linebacker is easier said than done, and he can do that.” His development could allow the Dolphins to part ways with Wheeler and add a linebacker that excels against the run.

### Before we turn the page, some final postscripts from Dolphins owner Stephen Ross’ organizational tinkering the past month: Ross asked GM candidates their opinion of random players (some Dolphins, some from Michigan, some others) and loved the thoroughness of Hickey’s answers. One Dolphins official insists of all the candidates, Hickey displayed the most encyclopedic knowledge of players. Ross also liked his lack of ego and commitment to innovation.

The Dolphins also didn’t like that Tennessee’s Lake Dawson announced he turned the job down; the Dolphins insist no formal offer was made, unlike with the Patriots’ Nick Caserio. But in conversations, they did ask Dawson if he would take the job under certain scenarios, and Dawson considered that an offer. But the Dolphins didn't view Dawson as substantially better than Hickey.

So we admit a formal offer was made to Caserio. As for Hickey and Dawson nt sure how Dawson was considered an awesome candidate. Neither guy had really awesome credentials but at least Hickey had much more experience. between the two I prefer Hickey

Dawson would be in over his head. I agree, between Hickey and Dawson, we got the better GM. Dawson strikes me as someone with a ego to feed, Hickey seems more secure in himself.

From the times I watched Jenkins- and they were few and far between- he appeared lost. Heres hoping experience will right it.

I like our LBs. I know they had a rough season and were manhandled too much for comfort.

I am not thrilled with Coyle. Those delay blitzes make me want to right cross through a wall. And how many screens does a team have to throw at you before you adjust?

So did we or did we not offer Cassette player the GM gig?

Wow, Philbin really hated Ireland. seems like he would get more love around here for that fact alone.
I'm very interested to see what a year of off-season training can do for last year's rookie class.

Wow, Philbin really hated Ireland. seems like he would get more love around here for that fact alone.
I'm very interested to see what a year of off-season training can do for last year's rookie class.

Hating Ireland is great but letting his team muster 7 points the final two weeks with a playoff birth in hand doesn't make for much love with me.

A few in my IMO

* I think Jenkins has a real chance to be a quality starter and replacement possibly for Wheeler. He covers well and is really smart kid.
* I cannot believe that the presence of Koa Misi might keep Dion Jordan on the bench. I think Misi is a nice player, but Jordan has shown flashes of big play material. Misi has made a handful of big plays in his career in Miami. It is another example of this staff not being able to utilize their players.
* I actually believe the Lake Dawson offer/non-offer story from the Dolphins POV. Very plausible.
* With that said, Ross made a mistake not re-making the organization with Caserio.
* The team needs have the 2013 CB's earn their way into playing time, working their way up from Dime, Nickel Packages and Special Teams.
* Dallas Thomas is a bust.
* Hickey and Joe will add a veteran RB later in FA. Will be a good value.
* I think they double down on the TE position and add someone else to the mix, though I think Sims has some redeemable value.

A few in my IMO

* I think Jenkins has a real chance to be a quality starter and replacement possibly for Wheeler. He covers well and is really smart kid.
* I cannot believe that the presence of Koa Misi might keep Dion Jordan on the bench. I think Misi is a nice player, but Jordan has shown flashes of big play material. Misi has made a handful of big plays in his career in Miami. It is another example of this staff not being able to utilize their players.
* I actually believe the Lake Dawson offer/non-offer story from the Dolphins POV. Very plausible.
* With that said, Ross made a mistake not re-making the organization with Caserio.
* The team needs have the 2013 CB's earn their way into playing time, working their way up from Dime, Nickel Packages and Special Teams.
* Dallas Thomas is a bust.
* Hickey and Joe will add a veteran RB later in FA. Will be a good value.
* I think they double down on the TE position and add someone else to the mix, though I think Sims has some redeemable value.

I don't think Misi kept Jordan on the bench, I think his weakness shedding blockers and playing the run kept him on the bench. Im not sure why everyone thinks the coaching staff is fine but somehow didn't play Jordan without reason

I don't think Misi kept Jordan on the bench, I think his weakness shedding blockers and playing the run kept him on the bench. Im not sure why everyone thinks the coaching staff is fine but somehow didn't play Jordan without reason

That is not what I get from the article.

That is not what I get from the article.

Wasn't speaking on the article just that Jordan didn't play more because the staff saw him as a liability on the field simple as that. This staff has no problem playing rookies as evidenced by Tannehill and Martin but people want to make every excuse in the world for the third overall pick in the draft

Wasn't speaking on the article just that Jordan didn't play more because the staff saw him as a liability on the field simple as that. This staff has no problem playing rookies as evidenced by Tannehill and Martin but people want to make every excuse in the world for the third overall pick in the draft

Gotcha. I hope you are right. I see a staff that is unable to utilize what a player does well and that the player has to fit the staff's profile in order to get ample PT.

Gotcha. I hope you are right. I see a staff that is unable to utilize what a player does well and that the player has to fit the staff's profile in order to get ample PT.

Hated the pick from day one, saw him as a very limited player that was even somewhat of a part time player at Oregon. Hope he develops but Im far from confident that he is anything special

I love the pick of Jordan. It is about using him correctly. I was in person and able to see him run with Gronkowski with ease down the field in Foxboro. It is almost looked effortless. It might take the coaching staff to actually be creative and utilize his strengths as a football.

So we admit a formal offer was made to Caserio. As for Hickey and Dawson nt sure how Dawson was considered an awesome candidate. Neither guy had really awesome credentials but at least Hickey had much more experience. between the two I prefer Hickey

Did I read that right, a positive post by Dlockz..

Did I read that right, a positive post by Dlockz..

My positive posts are in correlation to the amount of positive dolphin information. 5 straight non winning seasons means that I have more to complain about then to be happy about.
Im not sure why as a fan I have to be happy with the way the dolphins have been for the past 5 years

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

I love the pick of Jordan. It is about using him correctly. I was in person and able to see him run with Gronkowski with ease down the field in Foxboro. It is almost looked effortless. It might take the coaching staff to actually be creative and utilize his strengths as a football.

Definitely wish we had kept the 12th pick and used that second round pick but that's the past

Back
Top Bottom