Baseball vs. Football | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baseball vs. Football

RWhitney014 said:
Baseball is a chess game, slowly developing over nine innings, a series, a season. Every move needs to be well-thought out but streaked with experience and brilliance.

Baseball is a technical masterpiece. Anyone can catch a football or tackle someone (sorry, guys, it's true), but most people can't hit a 95 mph fastball tailing in towards their hands as they swing or a 75 mph curveball that drops from nose to toes.

I respect your opinion. However, I haven't really respected baseball as a sport since the '60's; even in the '70's, you had rivalries like the Yanks-Orioles, A's-Angels. The '70's gave us great WS like the ones between the Reds & A's.

I still remember watching games out of the corner of my eye, but paying full attention when Reggie Jackson came to bat - because every time he came up, something truly remarkable could happen.

Now, if anything remarkable happens, it's probably fueled by drugs, or the guy's an overpaid, pampered dick and I don't care what happens anyway. The sport - slow as it is - has become intolerable for its stolid refusal to come aboard the last century, let alone the new one.

I want Jay!

dominizzo said:
Feeley is no good

Feeley played 8 games at the University of Oregon and a third string on the Eagles. I want the 4th winningest QB in the league right now back; Jay Fielder!

WazzMan16 said:
Feeley played 8 games at the University of Oregon and a third string on the Eagles. I want the 4th winningest QB in the league right now back; Jay Fielder!

Not that you're wrong or anything, but prepare to duck, my friend.

WazzMan16 said:

Why don't you start another thread to talk about the quarterback? Why take this thread off-topic?

Even with our crappy O-Line, Dan would have gotten big numbers...he had the fastest release ever......Chambers, Booker and McMichaels would have had record years. That's why I will always say Dan was and is the best ever. :)

SF Dolphin Fan said:
There is no question that football is the ultimate
team sport, which makes comparing players very difficult.

In baseball, for example, you can take Alex Rodriguez and put him on any team and he's still a hall of famer. Granted ARod in Colorado might hit 7-10 homeruns more a year, but basically he's going to put up great numbers wherever he goes.

In football, that's not the case. If Steve Young played his entire career in Tampa Bay he'd, most likely, be talked about as one of the biggest busts ever. In SF, he had the team around him and now is going to be elected into the hall of fame. I wonder what players like Steve Bartkowski might have achieved on a better team or Archie Manning.

I can only wonder what a rookie Dan Marino would have done for the 2004 Dolphins. Better than Feeley I'm sure, but I'm also pretty sure he would have struggled. Just something to think about as we try to find out whether or not Feeley can be the guy for this franchise.

Yeah but this can be discarded because a good pitcher will put up good numbers wherever he plays regardless of the people around him. He might not have a good overall record but he will have good numbers just based on his pitching. A pitcher IMO is the most important person in baseball, and the Qb is the most important player on a football team so I think it is relevant. I prefer Baseball over Football because the baseball playoffs for exceed the football playoffs IMO.

RWhitney014 said:
Anyone can catch a football or tackle someone (sorry, guys, it's true),QUOTE]

This really is an ignorant quote. Did you ever play college or high school ball? a WR has to be fast,agile run crisp routes, and often catch while bein decked or slapped at. Not anyone can do that.

Defenders have to square up, get the balls to stick thier shoulder into what usually is a huge az RB and try and take him down. Not to mention most of the time the RB will be trying to shake u in the process. Not just anyone can do that.

If anyone could do this i think a lot more ppl would take advantage of playing a game that pays you millions.

There's a good math equation (or analogy you can say) that I follow:

Football > Baseball

Miami Dolphins > (insert anything here)

Yeah but this can be discarded because a good pitcher will put up good numbers wherever he plays regardless of the people around him. He might not have a good overall record but he will have good numbers just based on his pitching. A pitcher IMO is the most important person in baseball, and the Qb is the most important player on a football team so I think it is relevant. I prefer Baseball over Football because the baseball playoffs for exceed the football playoffs IMO."

I agree that a pitcher is the most important position in baseball (by far) and that a quarterback is the most important player on a football team. But I don't think you can compare them too much. Yes, both are relying on other people and both can have great games and still come up on the wrong side of the ledger. But, like you said, a good pitcher is going to be a good pitcher wherever he goes. I don't think the same is true with quarterbacks. So much depends on the talent around them and a few that might have been good never really got the chance with the teams they played for.

Jimi said:
RWhitney014 said:
Anyone can catch a football or tackle someone (sorry, guys, it's true),QUOTE]

This really is an ignorant quote. Did you ever play college or high school ball? a WR has to be fast,agile run crisp routes, and often catch while bein decked or slapped at. Not anyone can do that.

Defenders have to square up, get the balls to stick thier shoulder into what usually is a huge az RB and try and take him down. Not to mention most of the time the RB will be trying to shake u in the process. Not just anyone can do that.

If anyone could do this i think a lot more ppl would take advantage of playing a game that pays you millions.

I never said everyone can do it at a pro, college, or even high school level. The point I'm trying to make is, everyone belittles baseball as a wussy sport that takes little talent to play and has the sole purpose of making Mare miss field goals in September. To make a point, did you see Erstad run into Estrada the other night?

SF Dolphin Fan said:
There is no question that football is the ultimate team sport, which makes comparing players very difficult.

In baseball, for example, you can take Alex Rodriguez and put him on any team and he's still a hall of famer. Granted ARod in Colorado might hit 7-10 homeruns more a year, but basically he's going to put up great numbers wherever he goes.

In football, that's not the case. If Steve Young played his entire career in Tampa Bay he'd, most likely, be talked about as one of the biggest busts ever. In SF, he had the team around him and now is going to be elected into the hall of fame. I wonder what players like Steve Bartkowski might have achieved on a better team or Archie Manning.

I can only wonder what a rookie Dan Marino would have done for the 2004 Dolphins. Better than Feeley I'm sure, but I'm also pretty sure he would have struggled. Just something to think about as we try to find out whether or not Feeley can be the guy for this franchise.

I'm all for seeing how Feeley does this year, even if it takes some growing pains. But please, don't mention him in the same posting as Marino.:blowup:

RWhitney014 said:
Jimi said:
I never said everyone can do it at a pro, college, or even high school level. The point I'm trying to make is, everyone belittles baseball as a wussy sport that takes little talent to play and has the sole purpose of making Mare miss field goals in September. To make a point, did you see Erstad run into Estrada the other night?

Well thats not fair to compare tackling somone not even on a high school level to a 95 mph hour fastball. And also if u gave me 100 trys id hit some balls. Give me 100 trys to tackle LT in the open field i wont get him once.

Sure it takes talent, but that doesnt make it a tuff sport. Dance takes talent too. Yes i did see tht collison, but that happens maybe a couple times a year, but it happens every play in football.

RWhitney014 said:
Baseball is a chess game, slowly developing over nine innings, a series, a season. Every move needs to be well-thought out but streaked with experience and brilliance.

Baseball is a technical masterpiece. Anyone can catch a football or tackle someone (sorry, guys, it's true), but most people can't hit a 95 mph fastball tailing in towards their hands as they swing or a 75 mph curveball that drops from nose to toes.

:shakeno: Probably the single dumbest thing I have EVER read on this board. (and believe me, I've read some pretty dumb things before). Obviously, you never played football at a level above Pop Warner. That sentence will have me shaking my head in disbelief tonight as I try to fall asleep.

WazzMan16 said:
Well to be fair he was backing up arguably the best college qb at the time, and before he got injured he was having a VERY good season.

Back
Top Bottom