Bates is not the problem on D | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bates is not the problem on D

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Wanne is the problem with any coaching/scheming/personnel decisions that are made by our D. Wanne said he would spend more time w/the D this year after Norv was hired; and as a DC who became a HC he should be held 100% accountable for the Phins D - good or bad.

Originally posted by dolphan39
Wanne is the problem with any coaching/scheming/personnel decisions that are made by our D. Wanne said he would spend more time w/the D this year after Norv was hired; and as a DC who became a HC he should be held 100% accountable for the Phins D - good or bad.

I don't know. I understand what you're saying and I do remember Wannie making that statement, but we do not know exactly how much participation he took in the schemes this year. He said that, took part in it early in the season, than give Bates more freedom to make decisions later in the season. That could've happen, how much part he took in the defense this year is pure speculation to place the blame on him. But the defensive schemes were no different than any other Bates defenses of the past. Defensive coordinators come on to a team and implement their own schemes. They have their own playbook. Do you think John Gruden and Andy Reid are responsible for the success of their defensive play on the field?

Why does a head coach have to feel that he has to become more involved in the defensive schemes when you are paying a defensive coordinator to do that? That's proof enough that Bates is incompotent.

The only reason I say Wannie is 100% accountable is because he hasn't replaced Bates.

Last edited:
They are both baffoons, and are responsible. Bates, for being a moron, and Wanne for not stopping him and taking charge. They both suck.

Don't agree 100% there 39....

Sure, Dave is responsible for the fact that J. Bates remained our DC this off-season, but he's not responsible for the methods in which J. Bates uses as a DC....

Dave is the head coach, we all know that. He's the person responsibe for finding J. Bates replacement....

Dave needs to find a DC who is all about attitude and motivation. This defense as of right now has very little of both. That killer instinct isn't there, and Dave should be responsible for finding a DC who will install that mentality....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

To bad Wanne won't fire Bates, has there been ANY grumblings at all that he might go a different way?

The problem is Bates and the way he uses the defensive backs. The fact that he allows the offense to pick their matchups hurts us. Also, he should blitz the OLBs, it would be successful. Blitzing Zach does nothing.

Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
To bad Wanne won't fire Bates, has there been ANY grumblings at all that he might go a different way?

We can always hope a college offers him a head coaching job.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
We can always hope a college offers him a head coaching job.

Yeah... I heard Dingleberry Tech was looking for a coach... maybe they would be interested. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, he's done nothing to impress anyone enough to even look his way... the only way to get rid of him is to kick him to the curb... and the sooner the better!

LMAO, Dingleberry Tech, that is great! Wannestadt can go coach at Wussy University or Balless Tech

Yes lets go drop BATES! And pick up Joe Somebody to be our D-Coordinator.

I'll be D-Coordinator! Actually, I'd probably be better off on offense, as I play offense. I understand it a bit better. But still, if Bates is gonna get fired (which he won't be Wanny or anyone else in the oraganization), then I should replace him. I have no problem with his defensive back schemes. The only problem I have is that Zach Thomas isn't quick enough to cover a RB or TE man up. Also, a little more blitzing would be nice.

I thought that after last year Wanny was thinking about Randy Shannon as the fins defensive cordinator? Was he not interested at the time or what. Would be a great move if he did. It would atleast get Randy that much closer to an NFL head coaching job if the interested him.

Originally posted by dolphan39
bates is not the problem? have you been watching the games? he's the only one i know who would call a prevent defense with 5 min to play and the other team has all three timeouts!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dolphins2002
Yes lets go drop BATES! And pick up Joe Somebody to be our D-Coordinator.

You were just defending Bates the otherday when I said he sucked and we should find a new DC. Your exacty quote was "WOAH HE IS REALLY BAD ISNT HE WE HAVE ONLY HAD THE TOP 5 DEFENSE THE PAST 3 YEARS."

I think it's not the stats most Phin fans are mad about. It's the fact that Bates doesn't alter his approach to keep the other team guessing.

I hear all the time football is like a chess match between the coaches. It just seems to me Bates plays with the same strategy game after game and just hopes his talent can overcome the other teams talent AND strategy. We need to find ways to confuse QB's and put pressure from spots they aren't expecting sometimes.

I don't think I know it all, nor do I think Bates is bad, I just think he needs more of an imagination and should use the talents of his personnel a little better.

Back
Top Bottom