Bates or Saban | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bates or Saban

wazzy said:
Now be honest how many people thought it was a bad decision when they gave the head coaching job to Saban after Bates did such a good job especially after the win over New England on the Monday Nighter

No way was Bates anything more than an interim coach. He couldn't do any worse than DW was doing...Bates is a heck of a D coach, but not a good candidate for a HC...That was obvious when he didn't even get a whisper from anyone else that needed a HC...be real...nice guy, hard worker, but not a good HC candidate.

Bates had 75% of the cap spent on his side of the ball, 6 probowlers, and the D still collapsed in big games...... Nice guy yes, but i am glad he is gone......

Phantom said:
Bates had 75% of the cap spent on his side of the ball, 6 probowlers, and the D still collapsed in big games...... Nice guy yes, but i am glad he is gone......

a D that collapsed becuase the Offense couldnt keep the ball around for the to rest or have some distance between them and the o scoring so, yeah im so happy we got rid of a great coordiantor. THE O IS THE PROBLEM NOT THE D. a defense cannot spend almost half the game on the field or maybe even more then half it doesnt work like that, they will tire out and PLUH!

I liked Bates as a defensive coordinator, but I would've hated the idea of him becoming head coach. The team needed a change and a new personality, while Bates did seem to ignite the team at the end of the year, the team was still 4-12 and the whole staff needed to be overhauled. I think he is a good coach but the team needed an overhaul, and I think he was too much of a "player's coach."

JAcK o D1AmonDs said:
Bates i think was good, he was better then Wanny, but Huizenga wanted Saban, but i woudl have loved to see Jim Bates stay with us for D-Coord, but he's in Green Bay, and there D is HORRIBLE

Exactly. Saban is the better head coach and new direction was needed. Still, the only downside was losing Bates as D Coordinator.

wazzy said:
Now be honest how many people thought it was a bad decision when they gave the head coaching job to Saban after Bates did such a good job especially after the win over New England on the Monday Nighter

I think that is a unfair question. You should of asked this guestion the day after Nick got the job!!!!!!!!!! I think this is mostly bias opinions.

I never wanted Bates. I wanted a complete regime change and Saban was at the top of my list - along with Charlie Weis. When Weis was off limits, I was very happy to get Saban. I'm even more happy we did now - given his approach.

Phantom said:

This is true. And, there were plenty of big games where the offense wasn't the only problem.

Bates, of course, may have been partially handicapped by Wanny's philosophy. But, I thought our defense was, while solid, too vanilla and not aggressive enough or dictating to the offense.

I think Saban will seek to dictate to the offense by mixing his defense enough to keep the O off balance. Of course, I think we'll have a better offense as well.

I have wanted Saban as our head coach as early as before he won the National Championship at LSU. In fact, I recall watching a game during that season that they had come back from a pretty good 4th quarter deficit and seeing him on the sideline and thinking how good he'd look in Dolphin Gear roaming our sideline. I got my wish Christmas day and wished Jim Bates all the best. Nothing against Jim, but I just think Nick is the whole package!

wazzy said:

As I recall, when Saban first became known as an option there were a few who preferred Bates, but the majority wanted Saban. The only ones who were sold on Bates were the delusional ones who expected him to get several head coaching offers in the league.

JAcK o D1AmonDs said:
Bates i think was good, he was better then Wanny, but Huizenga wanted Saban, but i woudl have loved to see Jim Bates stay with us for D-Coord, but he's in Green Bay, and there D is HORRIBLE

agreed to stay on as d coord but not hc:wink:

Back
Top Bottom